howard.michel

UBTech Alpha 1 robot modification

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:53 am

We are willing to pay someone to replace the processor in a UBTech Alpha 1 robot [http://www.ubtrobot.com/] with a Raspberry Pi processor, most probably the compute module if it can be done before Jan 16, 2017. As a minimum the modified robot must run a version of Linux, and operate a stored program that demonstrates various movements such as walking. All electronics should be put inside robot body, but that is not essential. The modified robot can use the existing iPad, iPhone or Android interface, or a simple user-created interface can be developed for this use. Message me for details.
Attachments
alpha 1 small.jpg
alpha 1 small.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

Snuffles

Re: UBTech Alpha 1 robot modification

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 pm

This will not work as the kernel (even with the real-time extensions) is not deterministic so you cannot guarantee that any servo will operate when required - this is the reason Linux is not used to directly control 3D printers. You need a embedded processor (or FPGA) to perform the realtime motor controls and you can use linux for the higher order functions. One way that I am thinking about, is to replace the firmware on the stm32 processor and use the Bluetooth interface to talk back to a raspberry Pi to control things. The robot also needs a gyro and accelerometers as it does not know it's own orientation. The head should probably be replaced with a LIDAR or similar to be able to scan its environment so it can create a map; and overall it need to be interface to a proper framework, for example ROS.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Cheers
Douglas

Daniel Simarmata

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:46 pm

I wonder how to change the firmware on a STM32 processor and use the Bluetooth interface to talk back to Raspberry Pi to control how, are there sources that can be learned or can help? Robots also need gyros and accelerometers because they don't know their own orientation, it's very important for this how to use this in Alpha 1s robots. The head may have to be LIDAR or similar to be able to scan the environment so they can make maps; this is very good, how about LIDAR I can't understand how to use the Alpha 1s robot and as a whole need to interface to the right framework, for example ROS. Can you explain in more detail about this ROS? Thank you very much.

asydynamics

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:12 am

Daniel Simarmata wrote: I wonder how to change the firmware on a STM32 processor and use the Bluetooth interface to talk back to Raspberry Pi to control how, are there sources that can be learned or can help? Robots also need gyros and accelerometers because they don't know their own orientation, it's very important for this how to use this in Alpha 1s robots. The head may have to be LIDAR or similar to be able to scan the environment so they can make maps; this is very good, how about LIDAR I can't understand how to use the Alpha 1s robot and as a whole need to interface to the right framework, for example ROS. Can you explain in more detail about this ROS? Thank you very much.
The protocol of the alpha 1s servo motor is already available online and it's easy to control by uart. To build a robot based on ROS and do something like slam (I guess), you need either LIDAR or rgbd camera/dual camera and odometer/imu, which I think it's more accurate on a wheel platform rather than on alpha 1s.

Return to “Wanted”