dimonic

Minimalist Pi

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Here is my wishlist for a Pi configuration for the robot hobbyist:

There could (and should) be a version of the Pi without ethernet.

It should not have a composite port (who is using that?)

I also don't need the hdmi - although that at least is better than composite, DVI or VGA.

Use the micro USB power port to support MHL (usb -> hdmi) which would allow the user who wants it to supply their own adapter.

In short - my prefered configuration would have:
  • Micro USB in (supporting MHL) doubling as power in.
  • 2 USB out ports (or even just one).
  • Built in WiFi (optional).
  • Audio out (optional).
[/list]
  • Existing pin-outs left intact.
That's it. Nothing else needed - anything else can be added - and it should even reduce the cost (and size) of the board.

JeremyF

Re: Minimalist Pi

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:55 pm

You posted this in the Wanted section (that is, not the Suggestions section) so I suppose you want this board designed? Or is this just a misplaced topic...?
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

jdbennet

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 pm

It should not have a composite port (who is using that?)
A lot of people cant afford big HDTVs and only have VGA monitors, so have to make do with using the RCA port to connect to an old cheap, SDTV

Ravenous

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:31 pm

dimonic wrote:I also don't need the hdmi - although that at least is better than composite, DVI or VGA.
I suppose you're right about not needing HDMI - presumably you log in from another PC as a terminal or something, and do all the coding that way?

However the chip used in the raspi already has the digital outputs needed for HDMI, so it's already about as minimalist as it can get.

I suppose there are probably other microcontroller/industrial computer boards out there, but finding one that does exactly what you need and nothing else might be difficult! There have been at least a few threads on alternatives to the raspi, though I can't remember the thread titles...

Return to “Wanted”