Signs
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 am

I think I have everything I am looking for, if you can see or think of anything I missed, let me know.

I am looking for an Operating System (OS) for the Raspberry Pi (Rpi)that only does one simple thing. All I need it to do is to go to a single website.

The following is an example of what it needs to do. You will need to wait 15 to 20 seconds between frames. (It is best viewed with the Google Chrome browser in full screen mode-F11).

http://rhonie.com/rhonie/advertising/index1.html

This is what needs to happen.
The Rpi is powered up it needs to go to a full screen to show the contents of a website. While booting the screen should be blank or the screen should just show the word (Booting)so that no information of the OS is shown. Video with sound would be a plus. Java is a must.

Also, no keyboard or mouse support would be used except for me to change the address of the website on another computer and the log-in information to the closest wifi network. I do not want any keyboard or mouse support or any other way that someone could enter information in the Rpi. This will be done on a laptop.

How this works is that I need to keep the website in cache and that it only updates by the use of a wireless usb wifi adapter to update the site about every four hours. If no update or wireless single is found it continues to show the cached website. I need it to work off a single SD card.
All changes to the web site will be done on the server, and not on the Rpi.
I will keep the OS open source and post it online.

If you can accomplish this please respond. :D

abtekk
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 pm

You could probably do this with an existing Debian install.

Signs
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm

abtekk wrote:You could probably do this with an existing Debian install.
The question remains "Do you have the know how, because I don't?" :D

Twinkletoes
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 pm

In the words of the famous Microsoft paper clip, "I think you're building a digital signage player. Would you like some help?"

An Open Source digital signage player (which has been tested on Raspberry Pi Squeeze) is available at www.opensplash.net. Have fun!

Bryan

Signs
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

Twinkletoes wrote:In the words of the famous Microsoft paper clip, "I think you're building a digital signage player. Would you like some help?"

An Open Source digital signage player (which has been tested on Raspberry Pi Squeeze) is available at http://www.opensplash.net. Have fun!

Bryan
Can you configure the way I have asked?

Signs
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 am

Signs wrote:I think I have everything I am looking for, if you can see or think of anything I missed, let me know.

I am looking for an Operating System (OS) for the Raspberry Pi (Rpi)that only does one simple thing. All I need it to do is to go to a single website.

The following is an example of what it needs to do. You will need to wait 15 to 20 seconds between frames. (It is best viewed with the Google Chrome browser in full screen mode-F11).

http://rhonie.com/rhonie/advertising/index1.html

This is what needs to happen.
The Rpi is powered up it needs to go to a full screen to show the contents of a website. While booting the screen should be blank or the screen should just show the word (Booting)so that no information of the OS is shown. Video with sound would be a plus. Java is a must.

Also, no keyboard or mouse support would be used except for me to change the address of the website on another computer and the log-in information to the closest wifi network. I do not want any keyboard or mouse support or any other way that someone could enter information in the Rpi. This will be done on a laptop.

How this works is that I need to keep the website in cache and that it only updates by the use of a wireless usb wifi adapter to update the site about every four hours. If no update or wireless single is found it continues to show the cached website. I need it to work off a single SD card.
All changes to the web site will be done on the server, and not on the Rpi.
I will keep the OS open source and post it online.

If you can accomplish this please respond. :D
I am offering a bounty for anyone that can do it. Also, not just the Rpi, I want it to be able to run on any Android tablet. The Android OS would need to be written over with the OS and the only OS would be the one that the developer assembles. Must run smooth and look professional. You can assemble the OS anyway you like, providing it remains open source, and that it runs off an SD card, the smaller the better. Would prefer all settings to be done in a text (txt) file. I am saying this so the file may be edited to point to the website address, the network settings, etc... P/M me for further details.

User avatar
jojopi
Posts: 3074
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:47 am

Signs wrote:I do not want any keyboard or mouse support or any other way that someone could enter information in the Rpi.
To prevent someone from changing the SD card, the Pi needs to be physically secure. So you do not need to worry about anyone attaching a keyboard.

If the image is open source, why do you want to conceal boot messages? Did you mean Java, or Javascript?

Signs
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:24 pm

jojopi wrote:To prevent someone from changing the SD card, the Pi needs to be physically secure. So you do not need to worry about anyone attaching a keyboard.
Yes this is true, but what about hacking the wifi? If even they get to the network, I don't want a way for them to gain access the OS. I thought about locking the card to read only, but if I did that I could not store the browser in cache.
jojopi wrote:If the image is open source, why do you want to conceal boot messages? Did you mean Java, or Javascript?
I really am not after concealing the boot messages, except for a few things.
I do not want anyone to see the location that the webpage is being fed from or the settings of the wifi address.
I had rather have an image that conceals the boot message.
I know that through years of playing with computers they have a tendency to keep rebooting, because of a problem with the OS, the drive, memory or processor. So I am thinking that when an SD card starts to fail that it will keep rebooting.

If an image concealed the booting, I will have it set up to contact me if it keeps happening and also credits for the program developer, the OS and that it was being ran by and the Rpi. It would not be a bad idea for it to reboot every time it cached the browser. (Every 4 hours).
Not only that the developers name and contact info, the Rpi would also be advertised on the side of a webpage on every digital display. For instance on frame 6 you see the weather info, on one side of that it would show the weather supplier advertising, and on the other the credits. (or top or bottom or all four sides).

I intend to give full credit to everyone that is possible, on every display. I will more than meet the OS policies.

Think about this, do you realize that in some businesses that it may be possible to place a hundred or more digital displays? I have never seen a business owner or anyone in real estate turn down money for space that is not being used providing it does not distract her or his customers from buying or using their product.

I suppose I should have written "JavaScript". :D

Twinkletoes
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Special Rpi Operating System (Simple)

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Signs wrote:
Twinkletoes wrote:In the words of the famous Microsoft paper clip, "I think you're building a digital signage player. Would you like some help?"

An Open Source digital signage player (which has been tested on Raspberry Pi Squeeze) is available at http://www.opensplash.net. Have fun!

Bryan
Can you configure the way I have asked?
Yes, it can do exactly what you have asked. The source code is available for you to do it yourself, or www.SilverCurve.co.uk can offer consultancy services to help you build it.

Bryan

Return to “Wanted”