Frankieseshy

Need to convert x-86 Linux code to PI, will pay

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm a noob at Raspberry Pi, and Linux altogether. Anyways, I built a teleprompter, and wanted to use my raspberry pi to plug into a 7-inch monitor. Imagine my disappointment when I couldn't find any teleprompter software for Linux. TeleKast has a version for Linux, but I cannot figure out how to install it for the life of me. If anyone could help me find and install any kind of teleprompter software for my Raspberry Pi B+, you will be compensated for your trouble. Thank you very much in advance.
-Frankieseshy

kusti8

Re: Need to convert x-86 Linux code to PI, will pay

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:54 pm

You need the source code to compile it. I'm sure that you can try and ask them to build a version for the raspberry pi (ARMv7). What is the link to the software?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

asandford

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:39 pm

TeleKast is open source, and can be found here, but hasn't been updated for a while.

You could probably build it yourself.

Frankieseshy

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Okay, I really am trying to follow you here. I apologize for my extreme noobiness, but how do you,"built it yourself"?

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Frankieseshy wrote:Okay, I really am trying to follow you here. I apologize for my extreme noobiness, but how do you,"built it yourself"?
I had a look at that package and the readme says there's nothing to build, but I can't work out how to run it.

Pick a different package, you're going to struggle with TeleKast.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Frankieseshy

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for the response! Yeah I figured that this program is defunct, but I have not found any other alternatives. I'm just looking for a very simple teleprompter app for Raspbian. You guys have any ideas for alternatives?

Frankieseshy

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 pm

I mean, any way to emulate a Windows app, or reprogram one for Linux? Sorry if that sounds dumb, I don't know what is and idnt possible.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:33 pm

Frankieseshy wrote:I mean, any way to emulate a Windows app, or reprogram one for Linux? Sorry if that sounds dumb, I don't know what is and idnt possible.
Find an OPEN SOURCE package and you can usually compile it and install it on any Linux system including a Raspberry Pi. Without the source code consider it impossible to run on a Raspberry Pi unless the package owner has already built it for you as a ready to run executable program and supporting materials.

Else sharpen your coding pencil and start scribbling some python code.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Paeryn

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 pm

TeleKast uses Mozilla's XUL and JavaScript so you'd need something like XULRunner to run it. I don't know if anybody's compiled it for the RPi.
Edit:
Firefox (and hence IceWeasel) can run XUL applications, I got it working - sort of - on my desktop. The app runs, but there are tons of errors and other than getting the main window up not much works.
She who travels light — forgot something.

Forrrge

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 am

Here is a web based free teleprompter
http://www.easyprompter.com/

I've not tried it, other than on a windows based PC so don't how fast it will run on a RPi ?

Quite a nice write up below of features, appears to have been tested on a number of different devices, there is also a portable version.
http://www.easyprompter.com/about.php

scruss

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 pm

Paeryn wrote:TeleKast uses Mozilla's XUL and JavaScript so you'd need something like XULRunner to run it. I don't know if anybody's compiled it for the RPi.
It's in the repo:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache search xulrunner
 …
xulrunner-10.0 - XUL + XPCOM application runner
xulrunner-10.0-dbg - Debugging symbols for the Gecko engine library
xulrunner-10.0-dev - Development files for the Gecko engine library
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

troombatzia

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Hello.

I found this:

http://www.dennisschraven.nl/teleprompter.html

Its written in Java. I found just minutes ago that Java is installed by default with Raspian.

To run it, just type:

java -jar Autocue.jar

It runs smoothly with no errors, but I don't know if it is what you're looking for. And, if you find my research useful I would not refuse a cold beer :-)

EDIT: I tested it on Raspberry 2, so I don't know how it works on Raspberry B+
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Elfen

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 pm

All of these are excellent answers.

But like stated, one needs a the original source code to compile it to any processor system you want. GCC (Generic C Compiler) does exist for the R-Pi and other Linux/Unix and Windows system so if you have the C Source Code, you can compile it into machine code. Same with Perl and a few other languages.

Best for the R-Pi2, you can use DOS Box and other Intel PC Emulators and run Windows 98/ME off it and run the Windows App off it. But mind that the emulation will be that of a slower PC - like a 250MHz PII, which is enough for a lot of PC Apps. Can't really do this on an R-Pi unless you want the PC emulation to be of a slower machine.

Emulation may not be able to do for you what you want, so it goes back to rolling your own program or compiling the source code you can find.

kusti8

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm

AFAIK Dosbox ud not able to run Windows 98. Dosbox is literally what the name says, a terminal used to run dos. To run 98 you need qemu.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Wanted”