mg4345

Wanted: meter logger

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi, I'd like to commission a project - but I'm not sure if these is even possible!
What I would like is a small unit that has the capability to record gas meter readings from a rotating dial type gas meter see attachment for typical gas meter.

The unit would have a camera that can be mounted facing the gas meter and be battery powered.
It would then take a photo every 5 minutes or so and save the photo with a time and date stamp.
the next best thing would be for the unit to be able to translate that photo into a csv file to save me having to go through it and turn the images into spreadhseet entries.
If someone can build and programme the unit I can build a housing.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'm UK (bristol) based.
Attachments
gas meter.jpg
gas meter.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 431 times

mrdebug

Re: Wanted: meter logger

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi. It isn't so hard to do. Maybe it can takes 2 or 3 days, without the ocr and the csv file output.
I suggest you to take a photo and to try with a ocr software. If the software can recognise the number value it is possible to try with tesseract.
If you want you can contact me.

Regards.
www.labcsp.com
www.denisgottardello.it
GMT+1

scruss

Re: Wanted: meter logger

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm

This might be a good start: OpenCV practice: OCR for the electricity meter

Are you already using the rotating magnet pulse output from your meter? If that picture is your meter, looks like it's already spoken for
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “Wanted”