WiFi nearly working , now have wpa_supplicant fail problem

16 posts
by fulburncams » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 pm
Hi

I am trying to setup a wifi link using the TP TL-WN722N as recommended on the e-Linux site.  After a few problems caused by power supply to the adapter I have nearly succeded all apart form the last step of starting the Wlan interface.  I can see wlan0 but when I run the command "sudo ifup wlan0" i get the message

wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start

I created the wpa.conf file as per the instructions (at http://elinux.org/RPi_Peripher.....ebian_6.29).  It looks from some other websites and the debain site as though there should be a wpa_supplicant.conf file but I am way  out of my depth on this.  Has anyone else successfully setup wifi and did thay have a similar problem. Any clues as to how to fix this.

Many thanks,

Steve
by GizmoB73 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 pm
You might want to look at installing wicd as an alternative.

$ sudo apt-get install wicd

It loads a huge amount of stuff but I have found it works pretty well in both the initial terminal and in the GUI.

After installing, I used the GUI to configure the WPA PSK etc. and it runs a treat.
by Blunderbuss » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 am
I also got that same adapter and have been trying to use wicd, but it currently doesn't show any wireless networks as found. However, sudo iwlist scan returns a ton- any ideas what's up, or can you post how you got it working?
by pdp7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:43 am
I've been using wicd-curses (for terminal mode), and it along with the GUI, wicd-gtk, both have a preference setting for which interface is your wireless card.  Make sure that is set to what you see ifconfig/iwconfig.  For example, sometimes my wifi adapter will be wlan2 and I'll have to change wlan0 to wlan2.
by Blunderbuss » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 am
I finally managed to get mine working. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I uninstalled wicd and then just installed wcid curses. Once within wcid-curses, if your network has a psk you need to use the right arrow key on the name of the network to go in and enter the psk you want to connect with (thanks a_c_r of the reddit irc channel!)
by fulburncams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:15 pm
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion re wicd,  loaded it,  but it could not see the wireless adapter.  I have now found a new problem,  in that if i try and power up the Raspi with the wifi adapter inserted the start up process gets stuck,  from the hdmi monitor output i get :-

Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done

Waiting for /dev to be fully populated... cfg80211:Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

usb 1-1.2.1: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: htc_9271.fw, size:51272

... and then the startup script hangs.  I have copied the wifi wiki and used the recommended adapter so this is all a bit frustrating,  and as I now have to use a powered USB hub my 'headless' raspi now has more wires than if i had stuck to the wired lan.  It is a shame as i feel i must be very near but until i get rid of WPA-supplicant and startup problems i guess i am stuck.

Cheers

Steve
by fulburncams » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:00 pm
Progress of sorts, I have now got rid of the WPA_SUPPLICANT problem.  I had missed the last curly bracket in the wpa.conf file. So now the adapter LED does flash,  but still have not proven I can send packets over the wlan.  I still have two remaining issues with thei wireless solution though a)  I have to use a powered USB hub - e.g more wires , and b) the startup script hangs as described above so cannot leave the wifi adapter plugged in during power up.

BTW I bought another adapter off eBay ( ref 390410269600) as the TPLink is bulky and power hungry just to experiment.   It is based on realtek rtl8188CU VID:0BDA PID:8176 as so far not having any luck,  again just plugging it into the raspi results in no response to lsusb command so again have to use separate powered USB hub.  The output from dmesg is below, 
usb 1-1.2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8176
usb 1-1.2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.2.1: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
usb 1-1.2.1: Manufacturer: Realtek
usb 1-1.2.1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

as always, these devices work fine under windows...

Cheers
Steve
by pdp7 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm
Check out the 8192cu.ko that ajtag compiled:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ng/#p67851

The OP in that thread has the same USB ID as you.

Cheers,

Drew
by fulburncams » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 am
Drew

Thanks,  yes have downloaded and installed the files but no change,  there must be soemthing else i need to do.  As a windows/java guy I am struggling with the whole Linix thing,  not suer if i have set stuff up correctly.  Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Steve
by jamesh » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm
fulburncams said:

Drew

Thanks,  yes have downloaded and installed the files but no change,  there must be soemthing else i need to do.  As a windows/java guy I am struggling with the whole Linix thing,  not suer if i have set stuff up correctly.  Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Steve

Have you installed realtek-firmware? Might be necessary, might not.

sudo apt-get realtek-firmware

or (can't remember which)

sudo apt-get firmware-realtek

You need to have non-free in software sources - this is described elsewhere on the forums (and elsewhere on the net)

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by fulburncams » Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm
James

Yes , installed as per the wiki guidance,

Thanks

Steve
by fulburncams » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 pm
James

Correction , I did ...
sudo apt-get install 'firmware-atheros' 

as per the guidance in the 722n example.

Apologies for misleading previous messsage.

Steve
by strawberry » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:37 pm
Today I had the same "/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start" problem to fix it I did the following:

Code: Select all
wpa_passphrase networkssid passkey

This outputs something like:
network={
        ssid="myrouter"
        psk=fd50e5fb2b66493702338dd5175241d2e8dd7dd42fc292bbb7c56b01f9e9fdc0
}

Copied the code above and pasted it into the /etc/wpa.conf.

Then I did
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and the wifi automatically connected!

I've found this sulotion here: http://undiff.com/2008/08/wireless-with-wpa_supplicant-easier-then-you-think/
I'm running the raspbmc but I guess it might work with the raspbian too? I have the TP TL-WN722N plugged into a bus powerd hub together with keyboard, mouse and USB HDD so far it seems to work.

To make it connect automatically after reboot I had to change "auto wlan0" to "allow-hotplug wlan0" in /etc/network/interfaces file.
by bohappa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:12 am
GizmoB73 wrote:You might want to look at installing wicd as an alternative.

$ sudo apt-get install wicd

Thank you, GizmoB73. I spent a few hours trying to figure this out. I installed WICD and it was easy to configure via the GUI.
by glass5555 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:27 pm
strawberry wrote:Today I had the same "/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start" problem to fix it I did the following:

network={
        ssid="myrouter"
}

Then I did

I've found this sulotion here: http://undiff.com/2008/08/wireless-with-wpa_supplicant-easier-then-you-think/
I'm running the raspbmc but I guess it might work with the raspbian too? I have the TP TL-WN722N plugged into a bus powerd hub together with keyboard, mouse and USB HDD so far it seems to work.

To make it connect automatically after reboot I had to change "auto wlan0" to "allow-hotplug wlan0" in /etc/network/interfaces file.

This fixed my issue as well. Thank you!
by theGiantMidget » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 pm
strawberry wrote:Today I had the same "/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start" problem to fix it I did the following:

network={
        ssid="myrouter"
}

Then I did

Thanks a bunch man. I'm running Kali and had the same problem. You saved me much frustration.