DougieLawson

SWABPiIG - Winchester 2nd Wednesday

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:10 pm

For a number of months we've been having the misnamed "Southampton Pi Interest Group" meetings in Winchester. So the time has come for a name change. Based on the folks who turned up last month it's now called the "Southampton, Winchester, Andover & Basingstoke Pi Interest Group". Which is too long a name for all practical purposes.

So I've shortened "Southampton, Winchester, Andover & Basingstoke Pi Interest Group" to "SWABPiIG" which is catchy (if you work that way) and has images of strange things done in farming (if you think that way). But, it just fits better and can be a Twitter hashtag #SWABPiIG.

We've been meeting in the Roebuck Public House, Stockbridge Rd, Winchester every second Wednesday. There was a slight hiccough this month (pub was closed) - so the venue may change (watch this space).

This is a no-booking required event. Just turn up. It's just a chance to sit round a table with a beer and a Raspberry Pi (yes we do have live running Raspberry Pis) and chat about projects/experiments/the forum/etc (no restrictions, it even doesn't have to be about Pis) that have been done in the preceding month.

There's no agenda (unless you want one or have a very specific problem that needs to be fixed). There's no entry fee (except the price of a beer (or drink of your choice)). The venue will have FREE WiFi (so you can get your Raspberry Pi and/or laptop online).

The next SWABPiIG meeting is: 8th October at 20:00 at the Roebuck (subject to confirmation).

The old thread was: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =57&t=8903

There is a Facebook group for SouthamptonPiInterestGroup (but as I'm not on Facebook I cant advertise this thread on there).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

geoff1234

Re: SWABPiIG - Winchester 2nd Wednesday

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Greetings

I have booked The Roebuck Inn for WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 8th @ 8pm, hope to see you there.

Happy computing

geoff1234

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 am

Greetings

Our next meeting will be on November 12th at 8pm at the Roebuck Inn Stockbridge Road Winchester. All welcome no need to register, we will be the guys with the Pies.

Happy computing

geoff1234

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Greetings

Our next meeting will be on Wednesday December 10th at 8 pm @ the Roebuck Winchester.

Hope to see you there.

Happy computing

timrowledge

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I may no longer live in Winchester (Vancouver Island these days) but I remember fondly my residence there. Greetings from an ex-wintonian - have fun! In fact where I live seems so like winchester area - weather, population, house prices - that I tend to explain it as 'Winchester Extremely West'.

Of course, if anyone can make it over to western canada for Dec 7th, we're having a Jam in Nanaimo.
https://www.picatic.com/RaspberryJamNanaimoDec2014
and
http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/ci ... -1.1621852
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

geoff1234

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:42 am

Greetings

There are a number of Winchesters around the world but only one original WINCHESTER in Hampshire England which is where we meet.

Apologies for any confusion.

happy computing

timrowledge

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:04 pm

geoff1234 wrote:There are a number of Winchesters around the world but only one original WINCHESTER in Hampshire England
That's the one; I lived there '84-91, working as an IBM Research Fellow at the UK Scientific Centre. I even got to make a flying visit this summer after the European Smalltalk User Group conference in Cambridge; my goodness the town centre has got filled in and busy and a bit tacky even. But the cathedral grounds are still nice and the countryside is still pretty.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

geoff1234

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 am

Greetings

Our next meeting will be on January 14th @ the Roebuck Inn Winchester at 8pm.

Happy Christmas

KeithSloan

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Anybody got Andrews email address?

As following on from his Python course he might be interested in some of these
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/8k8f ... 3bf2af&v=c

For example https://www.edx.org/course/introduction ... 8-31754605

geoff1234

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Greetings

The next meeting will be on Wednesday March 11th at 8pm at the Roebuck Inn Stockbridge Road.

All welcome.

Happy Pi-ing.

Geoff

geoff1234

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:24 am

Greetings

Our next meeting swill be on April 8th at 8pm at the Roebuck Inn Winchester.

hope to see you there.

Happy computing

Geoff

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Yesterday we held the July meeting at the Roebuck. We had two of Andrew's RPis running and did a bit of code hacking with an Arduino and a 32x32 multicolour LED matrix.

The next meeting is 12th August at 20:00 at the Roebuck PH in Stockbridge Road, Winchester SO22 6RP
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The ... b0c568b19d

Everyone is welcome.
MQTT Evangelist

DMChatterton

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Following our discussion last Wednesday, I now have my new 7" Raspberry Pi touch screen working.

realist

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi, I'm in Petersfield and would like to know if the local SWABPIPG R Pi group is still running my interest is newbi & using Pi as html web server's. Thanks.

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:20 pm

We should be in the Roebuck on the 2nd Wednesday (October 14th @ 20:00 - it's late this month because October started on a Thursday).
MQTT Evangelist

DMChatterton

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:22 am

I have noticed that the Raspberry Pi foundation has released a new version of NOOBS (v1.4.2) on 24 Sep 2015. Amongst other things, it provides a GUI for setting up the original configuration such as enabling/disabling overscan and setting the time zone. Despite what is implied elsewhere, this does not automatically appear in the appropriate menu after a Sudo apt-get update and upgrade of a previous version. It is not difficult to re-install the entire Raspbian OS from the latest NOOBS. This I have done on some of my other Pi s including the Pi 2 connected to the new 7" touchscreen.
When re-installing the OS via NOOBS, the touchscreen does not display the NOOBS dialogue. (It obviously needs the OS for its drivers.) It is necessary to first update the OS on the memory chip using a Pi connected to a standard HDMI monitor.
I note that the interface to a WiFi dongle is now simpler, asking for the appropriate password for the network discovered.
I shall bring along my touchscreen and its Pi 2 next Wednesday to see how easily it connects to the Roebuck's WiFi.
One more point - the NOOBS installs the latest version of LibreOffice. Unfortunately, it defaults to US spelling in its menus. To correct this, simply run "Sudo apt-get install libreoffice-l10n-en-gb" in the terminal.

DMChatterton

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 am

The new version of NOOBS is as a result of the upgrade to Jessie.
See:https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#raspb ... ie-is-here for further details.

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28 am

I'm planning to bring along my RPI2B with a copy of NOOBS/Jessie loaded up with Fuze BASIC. I'll also have a copy of NOOBS/Jessie and plain Raspbian Jessie stashed on my 32GB USB stick.
MQTT Evangelist

DMChatterton

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:59 pm

Further to observations made at our last meeting, particularly concerning the new 7" touch screen:

I noticed that the display screen seemed to be upside down compared to when I first tried it out. Apparently, this was a deliberate intention by the Raspberry Pi officialdom who considered that it was easier to use the screen with the power supply connectors at the bottom and updated the driver files to suit.

When I ran Ubuntu MATE, the display came on with the original orientation. I also noticed that the touch facility did not work. According to Raspberry Pi, there is no support for Ubuntu MATE with the 7" touch screen (yet?).

For those wishing to try Ubuntu MATE by transferring the downloaded .img file to a memory stick using dd on a terminal, it is easier to edit the config.txt file on the stick to un-comment the overscan disable instruction before booting up thereby avoiding the black border on the screen when Ubuntu MATE does start up.

DMChatterton

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Incidentally, the new Pimoroni stand for the Touch Screen expects the orientation to be as originally designed (with the power connector at the top). The workaround to restore the orientation is to insert the line:

lcd_rotate=2

in the file: /boot/config.txt

This allows Ubuntu MATE to appear the correct way up when using the stand.

DMChatterton

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:11 pm

No doubt we will be meeting in the Roebuck thus evening - 20:00 for those who can get there on time.
Raspberry Pi have released a new version (v1.7) of NOOBS last Tuesday (9-02) for those who like to keep up-to-date.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm

Unfortunately I can't make it down there tonight.

BTW, its NOOBS 1.6 and 2016-02-03 Raspbian. There's a blog entry with some details of the updates https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/
MQTT Evangelist

DMChatterton

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:50 pm

I did see the blog entry (via Facebook) but, if you look on Raspberry Pi's downloads page https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/, it now offers NOOBS as version 1.7.0, release date: 2016-02-09.

I tried it on a spare microSD card and it seems to install as expected. Of course, for those of us who prefer to see UK English spelling of the Libreoffice menus, it is necessary to execute:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-l10n-en-gb

from the terminal.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Wow, two version of NOOBS in a week, it must be more broken than I thought.
MQTT Evangelist

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Wow, two version of NOOBS in a week, it must be more broken than I thought.
Look on the bright side, it has W10 IoT Core as an option when internet connected, though no explanation it needs a W10 Machine to be "useful"
Adieu

Return to “User groups and events”