sarev_of_aona

Portsmouth Jam 27th July?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi all.

We have the potential use of the facilities at the Portsmouth Innovation Warehouse http://www.innovationwarehouse.org/loca ... ortsmouth/ to host a Raspberry Jam-type event free-of-charge (to exhibitors and visitors).

Would there be much interest from all you RPi fanatics to a) help organise and b) come along to this?

sarev_of_aona

Re: Portsmouth Jam 27th July?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Just to add a bit more detail, the Innovation Warehouse building offers a fantastic space, with a large reception area on the ground floor, plus we'd have use of two other floors for things like hack spaces, presentation area, stands to sell your Raspberry Pi wares, meeting rooms and general milling about. It's in a central location with good public transport links.

We're hoping to have hot and soft drinks available throughout - I'm not sure about food and beer yet!

And of course, it's in the lovely seafront city of Portsmouth so - British Summer permitting - you could make a day trip of it and get to the beach while you're visiting... http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/.

What I really need is one or two people who are more active in the RPi community, especially in this neck of the woods, to help with the planning.

Cheers!

PiGraham

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm in the area and interested in getting involved.

sarev_of_aona

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Nice one! Drop me a line at [email protected] and we can co-ordinate there.

The same goes to anyone else who is interested either in attending or helping to organise this event.

PiGraham

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:46 am

Is anyone here interested in a Portsmouth Jam?

jamesyale

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Interested!

sarev_of_aona

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Right now, this is all in the "let's see if it's doable" stage so the sorts of things we're after are:

1. people who can drum-up interest for the event
2. people who want to bring something (RPi-related) along to show people
3. people who have interesting ideas they'd like to talk about/discuss
4. people who know people who can do the above... :)

Does any of that make sense?

Drop us a line at [email protected] if you think you can help!

welshwizard

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm

This is a fantastic idea and applaud you. I would love to attend a event like this but unfortunately I live in s Wales.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm

I've posted from the Foundation account about this on Twitter too - hopefully you'll get some replies out of that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

cabe

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Count me in! I am sure I can drag along at least 3 non-pi (yet) geeks.

Boeeerb

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I would love to attend and show off my Pi creations, but I don't know when I will be down next (live near Manchester). Keep us updated on progress!
Find me on Twitter - @Boeeerb
Website - http://www.boeeerb.co.uk

kwiatks

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 am

Am interested - live near Southampton

NathanBookham

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:25 am

I'd be interested! I live down the road in Petersfield, so isn't too far. I've been to the Egham Raspberry Jam, but it is quite a journey so one in Pompey would be handy!
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'

PiGraham

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

Good to see some signs of interest.

I was just reading about how to make Jam!
http://raspberryjam.org.uk/make-a-raspberryjam/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 57&t=10615

sarev_of_aona

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for the extra info, guys. I'm hoping to post a lot more info later this week.

nuttynorbert

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 pm

I've just bought a raspberry pi on the street today from a random interesting guy who started a conversation with me. My two kids are interested in coming to the jam, we would be coming down from London. I would like someone to help us set it up if that is possible? It would give me a deadline to get together the keyboard, mouse, monitor and sd card. I've looked at a few online tutorials about loading the sd card but I don't get it yet, I would be downloading the operating system onto my mac first. I have a card reader. I would get hold of the lego WEdo and bring it along but it would be great to get help to set it up!

inversesandwich

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

nuttynorbert wrote:I've just bought a raspberry pi on the street today from a random interesting guy who started a conversation with me. My two kids are interested in coming to the jam, we would be coming down from London. I would like someone to help us set it up if that is possible? It would give me a deadline to get together the keyboard, mouse, monitor and sd card. I've looked at a few online tutorials about loading the sd card but I don't get it yet, I would be downloading the operating system onto my mac first. I have a card reader. I would get hold of the lego WEdo and bring it along but it would be great to get help to set it up!
I would highly recommend reading the guide found at http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... e-v2_1.pdf to understand how to set up the Raspberry Pi SD card using the new NOOBS package. If you want to start to program, check out Scratch to start off with. It'll teach you about programming basics, such as loops, if and else statements etc. Once you have the basics, start to learn Python, a multi platform and flexible language.

If I can make the 27th, I'll come down and hopefully meet you! Keep browsing the forum, have a look at the Raspberry Pi subreddit and blogs such as Raspi.tv and Raspberry Pi Spy to gain more knowlege! Good luck on your quest with the Raspberry Pi!
InverseSandwich
Visit my page at http://about.me/inversesandwich and follow me on Twitter @inversesandwich

sarev_of_aona

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi all.

Just to confirm we're definitely going to go ahead with having a Jam on the 27th July in Portsmouth. Full information, including the times, travel details and so on will be posted shortly.

inversesandwich

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 pm

sarev_of_aona wrote:Hi all.

Just to confirm we're definitely going to go ahead with having a Jam on the 27th July in Portsmouth. Full information, including the times, travel details and so on will be posted shortly.
Brilliant! Can I suggest setting up a Eventbrite page. This means that we know who's coming and also makes it easy for the event organiser to contact everyone. Remember to contact Alan O'Donohoe to add it to the calendar!
InverseSandwich
Visit my page at http://about.me/inversesandwich and follow me on Twitter @inversesandwich

helpful

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

nuttynorbert wrote:My two kids are interested in coming to the jam, we would be coming down from London.
New London Raspberry Jam just announced on Saturday 3rd August :-)

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/7221314145

teknoteacher

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 am

I've created a draft eventbrite page and added Graham Hinds as the admin for the event. I can add other admin people to the page, but it starts to get confusing when more than one manage the page. Graham might wish to pass the role on.

Watch this space. :-)
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher

teknoteacher

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 am

Update. I've added Elliot at the Innovation Warehouse to the admin page for the Eventbrite listing. Graham suggested to me that it would be better for Elliot to manage the event listings.
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher

PiGraham

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 am

Free tickets for Portsmouth Jam here
http://portsmouthraspberryjam-eorg.eventbrite.com/

PiGraham

Re: Portsmouth Jam 27th July!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Here's an outline of things I hope to have at the Portsmouth Jam

Demos
Texy's 2.8 TFT LCD display module showing vido @23+fps and basic graphical touchscreen interface with pygame.
PiFace digital in a nice read PiFace case from Farnell.
Pi powered photobooth, with gphoto2 controlling a Canon G3 compact camera and printing photos to a Canon iP2700 inkjet. May also be running with a Pi Cam.
Hacked PiCam with c-mount lens.
RoboBabbage the Pi-powered robot bear - animatronics (OK, basic servo motion) and speech synthesis. Servo control using PIGPIO in c.
PiCam in the eye socket, mini monitor for preview of a bear's-eye view.

Oldschool
Sinclair ZX Spectrum (working), ZX81(maybe not working), Jupiter Ace(maybe not working).
How cheap UK home computing began in the 80's

Hands On
Servo control direct from the Pi GPIO with PIGPIO
DC motor speed control with power MOSFET and PWM with PIGPIO or WiringPi
Text to speech.
LED flashers, Cylon scanners etc.
Maybe opto-sensors
PiCamera
Budget equipment for hoby electronics.
DSoQuad pocket-size storage scope
OpenBench Logic Sniffer 16 channel 100MHz logic analyser

TBC (If I have time to set it up!)
XBMC media centre
QUAKE3

GordonFreeman

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Ill be there, anything I can do to help? Please let me know. (I've have been waiting for something like this in this area for a long time, long over due :D )

Return to “User groups and events”