NathanBookham

Re: 2nd Egham Raspberry Jam - 14th April 2013

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm

winkleink wrote:I have 2 stepper motors controlled using python. Now to do something with them for the Jam.
Planning USB joystick control.
Great! I've wanted to use a stepper motor! If you want to borrow a joystick for the event, I have a logitech one I can bring along.

I've just finished coding a Pulse-width modulation demo with LEDs and duty cycle interval control.
Can't wait to see the other projects! Only two days to go :ugeek:!
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm

NathanBookham wrote: Great! I've wanted to use a stepper motor! If you want to borrow a joystick for the event, I have a logitech one I can bring along.

I've just finished coding a Pulse-width modulation demo with LEDs and duty cycle interval control.
I got the motors controlled by the joystick last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPyABC1-IY

PWN on the Pi haven't done that yet. V. interested as this is good for Servos.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

NathanBookham

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm

winkleink wrote:
NathanBookham wrote: Great! I've wanted to use a stepper motor! If you want to borrow a joystick for the event, I have a logitech one I can bring along.

I got the motors controlled by the joystick last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPyABC1-IY

PWN on the Pi haven't done that yet. V. interested as this is good for Servos.
I was REALLY tempted to get a servo, but the Pi wouldn't be able to power it alone, so I'd need a battery pack or PSU.

PWM is quite easy thanks to the new version of the RPi.GPIO module.

LeoWhite

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I finished updating my BigTrak to use PWM to control the speed of its motors this week.

This then allowed me to update the python code so I can use a single joystick to drive the BigTrak, instead of using one per track like I have been doing.

Leo

NathanBookham

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm

LeoWhite wrote:I finished updating my BigTrak to use PWM to control the speed of its motors this week.

This then allowed me to update the python code so I can use a single joystick to drive the BigTrak, instead of using one per track like I have been doing.

Leo
Can't wait to see it again! It was great last time!

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm

More PWM - yeah.

It's starting to look really good for Sunday.

A bunch from the Surrey & Hampshire Hackspace are projects to show as well.

sportsnapper

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Albert,

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I might bring my Timelapse slider project along. Unfortunately, it's still in the same state it was when we last talked (and I thing I've forgotten a few bits of how it all pulls together. I've been away for the last week, so depending on how the morning goes tomorrow - I may bring all the bits, or I may not. However, it does appear that you have plenty of other demos.

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:53 pm

sportsnapper wrote:Albert,

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I might bring my Timelapse slider project along. Unfortunately, it's still in the same state it was when we last talked (and I thing I've forgotten a few bits of how it all pulls together. I've been away for the last week, so depending on how the morning goes tomorrow - I may bring all the bits, or I may not. However, it does appear that you have plenty of other demos.
It would be great to see. But not a problem.
There does appear to be a few projects coming and maybe a 3D printer.

See you tomorrow.

Ste123

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi,

Great afternoon. Believe it or not this was the first time I had seen a 3D printer in the ABS / flesh. Need to ask the boss about building one :|

Good to see the Bigtrak + distant cousins, RepRap, time lapse project and the work being done to create kits for schools.

Thanks to Albert and Gartner for hosting.

Stephen (+ the enviroment monitor pi.)

sportsnapper

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Yep, agree. Great to see so many young enthusiasts, even if I couldn't answer all their questions.

Thanks again to Albert and Gartner for organising and allowing us to use the offices. Fantastic turnout (I think Albert said 63 people attended today)

Gareth
Timelapse - real soon..... ;)

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 am

Thank you to every body who came.
Indeed 63 attended from a registration of 70, so not a bad turn out.

The Surrey & Hampshire Hackspace came in force with their projects and enthusiasm which was great.

Leo White brought along his Big Traks which once again were a great hit with everybody and I saw a number of people playing his Simon Game

Nathan Bookham showed proximity sensors, Simon Game, LCD panel being driven by the Raspberry Pi and Wii remote controlling the Raspberry Pi over Bluetooth.

Stephen Cornes brought along his weather station with multiple analog inputs built so that each sensor was modular and so the station could be built in stages and expanded as needed

[urlhttp://tvrrug.org.uk/]Thames Valley RepRap User Group[/url] had a 3D printer on display. The Surrey and Hampshire Hackspace had one set up also printing a Raspberry Pi case.

Robert Sprigge has his traffic light and parking sensor kits.

Neil Ford who I found out is the webmaster for the Raspberry Jam Website was demonstrating programming in Minecraft. At one point there was a mighty battle between Neil and a girl where she was trying to trap Neil.

There were a number of other projects shown including a quick2wire remote car, stepper motor vehicle and Timelapse slider

Also, a new board/shield for called PiBot that had connectors for 2 stepper motors and analog inputs. The great thing with the PiBot is that it sits on top of the Raspberry Pi and has the space for a 170 hole breadboard making for a fantastically compact development board.

I had the please of speaking to a number of people who are actively working to improve computing in schools, either through Code Club, Coder Dojo , STEMNET
So, a huge amount of interest in forwarding the core reason the Raspberry Pi exists. Getting kids interested and excited by computing.

Overall, from the feedback it felt like a fun and successful Raspberry Jam.
Roll on the next one.
Last edited by winkleink on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveake

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

Sorry again that I couldn't come along. I was really hoping to make this but after the previous day's shenanigans and staying up most of the night watching a map, I was just too tired and slept most of the afternoon!

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 am

daveake wrote:Sorry again that I couldn't come along. I was really hoping to make this but after the previous day's shenanigans and staying up most of the night watching a map, I was just too tired and slept most of the afternoon!
Dave, this does mean I'll hold onto your extension lead for another while.
I have a feeling with the amazing Saturday you had that a bit of sleep was in order.

From above Stephen Cornes who presented on connecting using serial over the GPIO last time had his weather station with him. I'd expect with the kinds of things you are doing that it might have been fun to get the 2 of you together.

Hopefully, next time.

stevejellis

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 am

Albert,
Thanks for organising the event. It was an excellent afternoon. Some really interesting projects, so thanks to everyone who contributed. It was also good to see a 3D printer for the first time, fascinating.
Also a very comfortable location so thanks to Gartner UK as well.

mikado

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am

I would like to say how much I enjoyed the Egham Jam, as a very new Raspi owner, I found out quite a lot about the board and what it will do, far more than I expected.
So thanks "winkleink" for organising it all and thanks also to Gartner for allowing us to hold it on their premises.
I look forward to the next one.
mikado

NathanBookham

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks again for a great event, and it was nice that there wasn't any snow this time!
The projects were amazing, and I'm very tempted to get a RepRap, especially after having a look at Thingiverse!
Can you make some amendments to the above post. I believe that Leo had the Simon game, and I also demoed a Wiimote interfacing with Python.

Robert Sprigge: My twitter handle is @nbookham.

If you would like to download the sheets I had on the day, you can download them from http://raspberrypi-resources.tk/.

It looks as if I'll have to get one of those robot arms from Maplin, and some more sensors!

Thanks once again! :D

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

NathanBookham wrote:Thanks again for a great event, and it was nice that there wasn't any snow this time!
The projects were amazing, and I'm very tempted to get a RepRap, especially after having a look at Thingiverse!
Can you make some amendments to the above post. I believe that Leo had the Simon game, and I also demoed a Wiimote interfacing with Python.

Robert Sprigge: My twitter handle is @nbookham.

If you would like to download the sheets I had on the day, you can download them from http://raspberrypi-resources.tk/.

It looks as if I'll have to get one of those robot arms from Maplin, and some more sensors!

Thanks once again! :D
Thank you so much for coming and bringing your projects.
A number of people commented that they have been reading your blog and learning from it.

Also, thanks for correcting me on the Simon Game and reminding me about the Wii remote. I have modified the post above.
I have a Bluetooth dongle and Wii remotes at home,so this is definitely something I'm going to try.

RobertSprigge

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks to Albert for organising the Egham Jam providing the opportunity to show our kits, and others for giving interesting demonstrations.

This was the launch event for the Emergent Value Project Kits. The first kit provides the components and instructions for two projects: Parking sensor and Traffic lights.

I actually sold more kits than I had so the others will be on their way very shortly when the final components arrive.

I'm very pleased to say that I've already had a 'Thank you' email from a happy customer who has built the projects and, in fact, obtained some components and progressed even further :P This is exactly objective of the kits, is to learn what you can do with the Raspberry Pi by reusing and changing the components and Python code.

This approach appears highly relevent to schools and has provided some opportunities for us

Following the sucess of this Project kit we are starting to consider what should be the next one. Ideas invited :?: @EmergentValue

Looking forward to the next Egham Jam. Meanwhile we'll be at the MK Jam on Sunday 28th.

Return to “User groups and events”