nevilley

A sign of the times perhaps

Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 pm

A quick heads up for anyone organising a Pi Jam in the near future.
Make sure any venue security is aware that visitors will be bringing projects along with them.

My wife and I were very disappointed to be refused entry to the Norwich Pi Jam on the 27th May because we had projects with us to show off at the jam.

It would be a great shame if this sort of thing became a habit as it goes against the purpose of the Jams to encourage and inspire others by example.

Strider64

Re: A sign of the times perhaps

Mon May 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I find it sad the honest law abiding citizens are having more and more restrictions placed on them, because of this mad world that we are currently living. I'm just going to leave it at that leaving politics out of it. :(
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" ~ Albert Einstein

hippy

Mon May 29, 2017 6:48 pm

nevilley wrote:My wife and I were very disappointed to be refused entry to the Norwich Pi Jam on the 27th May because we had projects with us to show off at the jam.
I would contact the Norwich Jam organisers directly; it may be that they were not aware of what security were doing, or that there were a problem in this respect.

As someone who has organised events and also worked security - albeit not Pi Jam related - I am surprised you were not able to resolve this at front of house.

ben_nuttall
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm

I was at the Norwich Jam and was aware of security checking people's bags on entry - which is understandable - but wasn't aware anyone had been refused entry. What was in the bag that they wouldn't allow in?
Community Manager - Raspberry Pi Foundation
Author of GPIO Zero

nevilley

Tue May 30, 2017 9:04 am

ben_nuttall wrote:I was at the Norwich Jam and was aware of security checking people's bags on entry - which is understandable - but wasn't aware anyone had been refused entry. What was in the bag that they wouldn't allow in?
Two maplin kits that my wife had built (she's a novice constructor) - one a "retro FM radio" the other a toy motion robot.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/franzis-fm-ra ... -kit-n37dp
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mindsets-rand ... -kit-n36fl

She offered to demonstrate them both but he insisted they had to be left on that white plastic table at the door.
When I complained to the people taking the tickets he barred me!

nevilley

Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 am

hippy wrote: I would contact the Norwich Jam organisers directly; it may be that they were not aware of what security were doing, or that there were a problem in this respect.
Emails and Fb posts were made when we got home to both the organisers and the venue.
A Fb response from the venue agrees it was wrong and are "looking into it".

But my main point still stands; make sure security are properly informed and qualified at any future events anywhere.

ben_nuttall

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 pm

I think it's important that people have some patience and understanding with staff and volunteers in these circumstances. Holding an event just a couple of days after a terrorist attack, they will have been briefed to be on alert and take certain measures to keep the venue safe - not much time for a thorough plan on specifics. And the same goes for the Jam organisers - they probably weren't told in advance (or given much notice) to be able to let attendees know to expect it.

I advise people remain calm, and cooperate. Nobody is accusing anybody of anything - just cooperate and we can all get on safely and peacefully.
Community Manager - Raspberry Pi Foundation
Author of GPIO Zero

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:24 pm

The main problem is that your Raspberry Pi looks exactly like the Hollywood bomb controller in the movies (circuit board with strange wires). The folks on the door can't see that the Raspberry Jam is all about those small computing things with funky wires sticking out so they make the wrong assumptions.

The blame lies firmly with the organisers who should have run a better education session for the security folks. Tell them what to expect, tell them how to decide that a "device" is someone's experiment that they're going to demonstrate and have the tools (tv, keyboard, mouse) available to plug in and test the things they really don't understand. Have an organiser there as an expert to consult on the things that don't make sense to the security staff. Have a register of the folks who are expected to bring their experiments (they can be told to carry a photo driving licence or passport) so everyone can play nicely.

It really isn't difficult and it really shouldn't be left to the poor folks who've paid for a ticket or the poor, underpaid, badly briefed security folks who've never seen this stuff in the field.

We need to be vigilant, but we don't need to be stupid and over controlling.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Supatra2

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 am

I find it sad the honest law abiding citizens are having more and more restrictions placed on them, because of this mad world that we are currently living. I'm just going to leave it at that leaving politics out of it. :(

Return to “User groups and events”