Cotswold Raspberry Jam's next event is 1-4pm Sat 28 Jan 2017 at the University of Gloucestershire Park Campus in Cheltenham (UK).
This is a reasonably large event, typically 120-150 people, very family friendly. More than half of our attendees are children, plus parents and enthusiasts. The university very kindly give us an entire building with 4 large computer labs. Monitors, mice and keyboards are provided by the university, so bring your Pi & power supply along if you have one - if not, we have dozens of Pis available for you to play with.
Workshops this month (grab a free ticket to reserve your place):
* Distance Measurement with the HC-SR04 Sensor - electronics & Python coding tutorial. You get to keep the FREE electronics kit - 1:30pm & 2:30pm for 45 mins (two identical sessions, please book only one)
* Create a Web Server - learn to install the popular Apache web server and write a web page in HTML5 - 1:30pm for 45 mins
* Build a Minecraft Village - tutorial in Python, make a program to create one house, then use it multiple times to create a whole village - 2:30pm for 45 mins
All workshops have everything provided; Pis, components, everything. If you'd like to bring your own Pi and power supply to participate, please make sure you have an up-to-date memory card with Raspbian PIXEL desktop. You can buy or borrow an up-to-date card at the event. For the web server tutorial we recommend a Pi 3 or a Pi 2 with a WiFi dongle, as older Pis are a little too slow to run a modern web browser.
Our guest speaker this month is Digital Girl of the Year 2016, Cerys Lock - 3pm for 20-30 mins.
In our Show & Tell room, all afternoon, we'll have:
* Micro Pi Noon balloon-popping war robots
* Demo of a Pi Zero interface onto classic BBC Model B 1980s computers
* RetroPie special - we aim to have lots of Pis with cheap USB gamepads playing classic old games
If you have a project you'd like to demonstrate, or a half-finished project you'd like help with, please bring it along. Contact [email protected] if you'd like early access (from 11am) to set up your project.