PeterO

Re: Raspberry Jam for Milton Keynes

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm

We should have half a dozen or so monitors with HDMI leads so no need to bring along those (unless your RPI is built into your TV of course).

Looking forward to it now after spending all week on a training course that has severely limited the time I've had for preparation.
I'm working on a short intro to Gtk+ programming in "C". No, it's really not as hard as you might think it is !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

MattPoat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Tomorrow, I won't have anything to talk about, but something tells me I may well still be a popular visitor...

Matthew
"I'm selling these fine leather jackets"

PeterO

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:51 pm

There have been a few (5) cancellations today :-(

First 5 on the waiting list should (if I've done it right) have received a notification.

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I think everyone enjoyed themselves 8-)

PeterO

MattPoat

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:40 pm

PeterO wrote:I think everyone enjoyed themselves 8-)

PeterO
Indeedy

recantha

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I certainly did! Good job, Peter! Nice to see such a wide cross-section of people and knowledge!
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

WhoAteAllThePi

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Yes, good job Peter, I enjoyed the whole day. Great Pi meeting and a great Venue. :D What a shame I'm not closer to Milton Keynes. :( BTW, great cakes Matt.

Graeme.

recantha

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Oh, how did I NOT mention the cakes. Caaaaaaake. Good job Matt, and thanks for letting me have the spare ticket :-)
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

DanielBull

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:41 pm

What a great morning!
Having missed it the first time around (because I was a little young at the time) I never thought I would get to witness the old home brew computing club era atmosphere but this morning felt like the Pi might have been the catalyst we needed to get it all rolling again?

I also have some other good news, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to say it but since WiFi was a big part of the conversation this morning I thought I'd feedback to the group. I purchased one of those Edimax adapters which was discussed from Maplin on the way home (thanks for the tipoff whoever it was, sorry I can't remember your name). I also got a new SD card and installed it with a fresh copy of Raspbmc. After booting I logged in using SSH, ran through the config wizard, did the update and upgrade as discussed during the meeting, rebooted, installed the network-manager program within the XBMC programs option. After rebooting a couple of times I noticed a popup in XBMC, I can't remember exactly what it said (sorry) but I checked the XBMC Network Manager program as they call it and the WiFi was fully working! Entered my WiFi code and connected!

There was no messing about with settings, kernels or anything like that, itjust worked.

I don't know whether that will be the case with Raspbian, I will check tonight and feed back....

See you all next month!
Daniel

MattPoat

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Hey Daniel,

Glad to hear you took my advice and got the Edimax, also pleased that you found it easier to get up and running.

I think where I went wrong was not updating my firmware, as I didn't believe any updates had been released (and also didn't check) but sounds like the latest firmware supports the Edimax. i'm not bitter though as I learnt all about using Linux commands such as sudo, bash, nano, lsusb, ifconfig and others. Struggling to get wifi working was good motivation to press on and learn my way around.

Cheers for the messages about the cakes, it was my pleasure. Rob from the foundation even tweeted a photo of a cake next to a real Pi so that was nice.

Matthew

rembrandt

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm

It was a really good event. Many thanks to all the speakers, and to Peter and the guys from the nmoc for organizing it all.

I felt that the mix was good and I'm sure it'll blossom into the homebrew style of event that Peter mentioned.

See you all next month :D

DanielBull

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Matt,
I think its probably just because I'm trying to do it further down the line than you were so more of the fixes are now already in place with the firmware and also the raspbmc distribution. It may also be the case that some of the fixes are only in Raspbmc and not Raspbian as they may be non-free or Raspbmc may be more up to date, I'm going to try it now with the official Raspbian distribution and I'll let you guys know.

DanielBull

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Looks like its not going to work on Raspbian without some tweaks. At least we know it works on one distribution so I can compare and find out whats missing.

MattPoat

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 am

OK so this is how I managed to get my Edimax dongle from Maplin working on Raspbian....

Commands
'sudo' ensures you have super user permission to move and change files
'nano' allows you to edit text files
'apt-get' enables you to update, upgrade or install programs
'wget' allows you to download files from the internet direct from the command line
'tar' will decompress a compressed .tar file
'depmod' compiles the system after you add some new parts
'bash' allows you to run a little command script

Connect ethernet cable so have wired internet access (you can do this without wired internet access but you will need to download the 8192cu-ltastest.tar.gz from the dropbox link below, decompress it and store it on a USB stick. I have not included USB stick instructions below but can supply if needed).

Sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Add "non-free" to each entry without the quote marks
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get install wget wireless-tools net-tools aptitude wpasupplicant firmware-realtek
Sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-latest.tar.gz
Sudo tar -xvf 8192cu.tgz.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
Sudo depmod -a
Sudo nano /etc/modules
Add "8192cu"
Sudo bash -c "echo blacklist rtl8192cu >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
Sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
Modify to the following:
     auto lo
     iface lo inet loopback
     iface eth0 inet dhcp
     allow-hotplug wlan0
     auto wlan0
     iface wlan0 inet dhcp
     pre-up wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 –c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
Sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Modify to the following:
     ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
     network={
     proto=RSN
     scan_ssid=1
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
     pairwise=CCMP TKIP
     group=CCMP TKIP
     ssid="your network ID in quote marks"
     psk="your network password in quote marks"
     }

Let me know how you get on or if you have any questions.

Matthew

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 am

Ahh those instructions, match what I found last night as well Matt. I had a look and it looks like the issue is that Rasbian is using the wrong kernel module (if you are a windows user that means its using the wrong driver).

Its using rtl8192cu instead of 8192cu.
So what would need to be done is blacklist rtl8192cu and add 8192cu.

I had a look through your instructions and it looks like there's about 3 or 4 lines which are the important ones. I'll work them out and let you know.

By the way personally I wouldn't hard code the access point and SSID, etc in the config files such as /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Technically you should be able to control your WiFi with Network Manager in the GUI (for those not sure that means Graphical user Interface, the bit with the mouse and icons). I'll take a look and make sure it works.

recantha

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:54 am

I have a nano wifi dongle that worked out of the box if anyone's interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221074985041? ... 2070wt_952

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Thats really useful thanks....
Looks like its a Ralink chipset so that should work as Racantha says.

For those still stuck with the Edimax I wrote some instructions with an explanation on each line on how to switch from a bad driver to a good one. Matt I couldn't actually get the driver linked in your instructions to work on mine, looks like its compiled for a different kernel or something? I'm going to try a few others. The instructions are the same though except where you download it from (the wget line).

# The first thing we need to do is disable the broken driver (requires admin rights)
# To do this we edit the list of blacklisted drivers using the nano editor and add "blacklist rtl8192cu" (without the quotes) on a new line at the end of the file
# Its likely this file is currently blank or non existant in which case we will automatically create it
# To save the file press control and X together to exit, they press y to save, then press enter on the filename
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

# Now reboot and the broken driver wont be loaded (requires administrator rights which is why we sudo)
sudo reboot

# Now download the new driver (drivers are called kernel modules)
# This one may or may not work for you...
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-latest.tar.gz

# Unzip and untar the driver you just downloaded
tar -xvf 8192cu-latest.tar.gz

# To check the version you have downloaded actually works with your kernel, temporarily insert the new driver (requires admin rights)
sudo insmod 8192cu.ko

# If it says "could not insert module" try running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade to update your install and rebooting then try again
# If it still doesn't work you need a different version of the driver, please find a working driver before continuing

# Now we need to put the driver in the correct folder
# Check what version of the kernel you are using
uname -a

# In the result of this look for the version number of your kernel, its likely to be something like 3.1.9+

# Copy the driver to the correct location to make it permanant (requires admin rights)
# If your kernel is not 3.1.9+ replace the correct number from above
sudo cp 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

# Edit your list of drivers in the nano editor and add "8192cu" (without the quotes) on a new line at the end of the file
# This will force your new driver to load after a reboot (requires admin rights)
# To save the file press control and X together to exit, they press y to save, then press enter on the filename
sudo nano /etc/modules

# Set up the driver module dependencies (requires admin rights) (slow)
sudo depmod

# Reboot your Pi (requires admin rights)
sudo reboot

# I was going to say at this point its all done and you just need to click on the wifi symbol and set your wifi point
# However for some crazy reason there doesn't seem to be a network manager installed in Raspbian so you need to install one
# The normal gnome network manager is kinda big so I installed wicd (requires admin rights)
# Wicd is also python which is nice as you can play with the code if you want
sudo apt-get install wicd

# When the popup box appears during install don't forget to add your user so you can configure the network
# You do this by putting a * next to the pi user with the spacebar then pressing enter

# You can now start the GUI (graphical user interface) if you are not already in it and set up your wifi using the network icon down by the clock
startx

EdwinJ85

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm really sad I missed this, any chance of another one soon?
Hello!

recantha

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm

There will be another next month!

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Just a bit of bad news...
I can confirm what is said in this link that rpi-update will indeed stop your card from booting if you use it with Raspbian: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/issues/22

Thought I'd mention it as its one of the things we discussed should be done.

If you are planning on doing this then make sure you back up your card before you run it.
If you have already done it there's an easy fix which just involves replacing a file but you need a Linux box to do it.

recantha

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Works okay for me on Raspian...

PeterO

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm

I've run rpi-update many times without any issues at all.
ISTR There was an issue with the SDcard and FAT drivers that caused it not to write blocks under some circumstances. This showed up as corruption to "/boot/start.elf". I believe it was fixed some time ago but YMMV .
PeterO

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes its definitely start.elf thats getting corrupted.
I basically got a new SD Card
DD'd the image across onto it using linux
Booted and ran the setup
Did apt-get update/upgrade
Rebooted a few times
Then just now I downloaded and ran rpi-update and it wont boot
Replaced the elf and its working again
Ran rpi-update again to check I wasn't going nuts and it corrupted it again

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

By the way I just checked as was surprised to find that /boot partition really is fat32,
In that case you can fix the problem with Windows if you get it, just delete the start.elf file and copy the arm128_start.elf file to start.elf. (The 128 refers to the memory split between the graphics and the operating system, if you know what your split is you can chose a different one)

DanielBull

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm

OK after 4 attempts each time fixing it by copying the elf back over I finally got it to work.
I was surprised to see it upgrades the kernel as well, I presumed it was updating some sort of low level firmware on the Pi itself not the distribution kernel, surely it would make more sense to upgrade this via apt?
Anyway now it has upgraded the kernel I can now load the WiFi driver using the instructions I uploaded before :)
I will go back and update them to include an rpi-update
Edit: Oh it seems like you can't update a post after a certain date...
Anyway its the same as before just make sure you run an rpi-update first so the driver module version matches your kernel version. My kernel is now 3.2.27+ instead of the shipped 3.1.9+

Return to “User groups and events”