matt the librarian

Raspberry Jam in Barnstaple, North Devon

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 am

Hi everyone
I'm a complete novice at this Pi thing but have been asked to organise/host a Jam at Barnstaple Library if there is any interest. I have a few names of people who want to find out more but no contacts who are already using th Pi and want to meet others. Anyone in the area interested? Let me know and I'll be in touch when I have more firm information about when and where?
Thanks for reading
Matt

allenjh

Re: Raspberry Jam in Barnstaple, North Devon

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Matt, have you had any feedback on this one? I'm in Torbay so its a bit of a trek, but I'm keen to see if this goes ahead or not.
Cheers
Jonathan

psutton

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

Hi

I am in torbay too, there is a pi jam in Exeter if it's helpful, usually every month or so, The devon and cornwall linux user group website has an entry for the next one adn will be updated with the CORRECT date when we have the details ( i had to put the 30th as it needs a date for the event system to work) liup list, I organise the Paignton meetings,

I also attend meetings for the Exeter Lug which are on tf he website too, i can't attend barnstaple jams but would be more than happy to list them on the website, The exeter jams are developing nicely.

feel free to get in touch with more info about the lug

zleap@zleap.net

hope this helps

paul

matt the librarian

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for your replies. I've had no response yet from North Devon. I know the event in Exeter Library is running well and that's why we want to start something for people in the north of the county. I really want some people who are already familiar with the Pi to form the core of the group but if we can't find any then we will try some sort of demonstration event and see if something will emerge out of that.
Matt

psutton

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:49 pm

I was at the PI jam in exeter on Saturday and saw that there was an upcoming raspberry pi jam in Barnstaple.

matt the librarian

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello again
We finally have something organised for Barnstaple. This will take place on Saturday 26th October in the foyer of Barnstaple LIbrary 10:30-12:30. It is a drop-in demonstration run by the man who hosts the Jam in Exeter Library. I hope from this we can generate enough interest to start a regular meet. Please pass it on and come along if you are able.
Thanks

psutton

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Added to the Devon and Cornwall Linux user group meetings page

http://dcglug.drogon.net/meetings/

kevcook

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi,

Couldn't make the pre-jam organised for October but am keen to get something going nearer to home. I'm based in Bideford. Exeter is a bit of a drive for me for a variety of reasons and 10 am a bit too early!

I 've had Pis for a year or so and have used them for a variety of projects and general use. Have some experience with robotics, built the scutter + robot arm (the youtube video is still available under scutter kevin cook search).

Have the Pi operating a burglar alarm with video and sensors, cat feeder (I know!), XBMC of course. Primary interests are in Python and GPIO usage. I'm a licenced Amateur radio operator and am looking at how the pi can interface with that hobby.

I'm not a youngster and I ran a software company back in the 80's for Spectrum machines. So I have some basic grounding in most areas and my other hobbies include electronics at a primary level.

If you want some support then send an e-mail and perhaps lay out your plans etc?

matt the librarian

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi again
Our introductory session was a great success thanks to willing helpers who travelled up from South Devon. We now have a core of about 15 interested people with a range of experience. Our next session will be on Saturday 7th December 10:30-12:30. It will be in the IT Suite on the first floor which has monitors, keyboards, mice etc we can utilise.
Everyone of all ages and abilities welcome. Please spread the word. Bring what kit you have, in particular USB to micro-USB leads for powering directly from a PC and HDMI to DVI adapters if you have them for plugging into a monitor. We will have some of these available so don't worry if you haven't.
Hope to see you there.
Thanks
Matt

matt the librarian

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:34 pm

kevcook wrote:Hi,

Couldn't make the pre-jam organised for October but am keen to get something going nearer to home. I'm based in Bideford. Exeter is a bit of a drive for me for a variety of reasons and 10 am a bit too early!

I 've had Pis for a year or so and have used them for a variety of projects and general use. Have some experience with robotics, built the scutter + robot arm (the youtube video is still available under scutter kevin cook search).

Have the Pi operating a burglar alarm with video and sensors, cat feeder (I know!), XBMC of course. Primary interests are in Python and GPIO usage. I'm a licenced Amateur radio operator and am looking at how the pi can interface with that hobby.

I'm not a youngster and I ran a software company back in the 80's for Spectrum machines. So I have some basic grounding in most areas and my other hobbies include electronics at a primary level.

If you want some support then send an e-mail and perhaps lay out your plans etc?
Hi Kev
Thanks for responding. See previous post for details of our next session. Would love to see you there. If you want more information in advance you can pop in and see me at the library. I work at Bideford LIbrary on Mondays and Tuesdays and Barnstaple the rest of the week. Wednesday is sometimes my day off.
Thanks
Matt

psutton

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Details are now on the Devon and Cornwall Lug website

http://dcglug.drogon.net/

matt the librarian

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Next Pi Jam in Barnstaple Library is Saturday 1st February, 10:30-12:30

RClud

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if Poole is too far but there is a Raspberry Jam happening on April 5th. Details are here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-linu ... 0095482861

Let me know if you have any questions.

matt the librarian

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi everyone
After a bit of a gap, we are going to have another Jam at Barnstaple Library. It will be Saturday 12th April, 10:30-12:30 in the IT Suite on the first floor. We plan to have them monthly now on the second Saturday.
Everyone welcome. Please spread the word.
Matt

sntuk

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Is this still a thing??.. - If so, is it this weekend? - What time?

thx...

fixit9660

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Can I take it this group no longer runs?

B.Goode

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

fixit9660 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 pm
Can I take it this group no longer runs?
@Matt_the_librarian who initiated this thread has not logged into the forums for 3 years.

Perhaps a call direct to the Library that hosted the meetings would clarify?

There is a database of upcoming Raspberry Jam activity here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/jam/

There is nothing listed for North Devon.

Return to “User groups and events”