scruss

Toronto - 2017-06-17

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 am

Raspberry Pi - Interactive Demonstrations : Toronto Reference Library : Program : Toronto Public Library

Raspberry Pi - Programming and Projects

Sat Jun 17, 2017

12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

300 mins

Toronto Reference Library Hinton Learning Theatre
789 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M4W 2G8 - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28156063

Join us on Saturday, June 17 for an afternoon of talks and demos on the Raspberry Pi, a family of tiny computers that range in price from $10 to $50. The Raspberry Pi is a series of small single-board computers developed to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and in developing countries.

Several talks with live demonstrations are scheduled in the Hinton Theatre on the 3rd floor of the Toronto Reference Library beginning at 1:00 pm:

1:00 pm - Introduction to the Raspberry Pi - A tour of the Raspberry Pi computer family, the features and limitations of each model, suggestions on how to pick one, and a demonstration of how to hook it up and start using it.

2:00 pm - Programming the Raspberry Pi - The Raspberry Pi can be programmed in many different computer languages from drag-and-drop visual languages to traditional computer languages such as Python, C/C++, and BASH. This talk will introduce the basics of writing and running your own programs on the Pi in several of these languages.

2:30 pm - Internet of Things. Sensing and Controlling Things with the Raspberry Pi - The Raspberry Pi can be easily connected to sense and control things around us. This talk will demonstrate the many types of devices that can be controlled by a Pi and how they can be connected and programmed utilizing Node.js and React.js.

3:00 pm - Retro computing emulating old game systems such as Commodore 64.

3:30 pm - Robotics on the Raspberry Pi. Discover how robots hear, see, speak and move.

Additionally, interactive demonstrations will take place throughout the afternoon from 12 noon to 5 pm in the Discussion Room adjacent to the Hinton Theatre, including projects ranging from media players and gaming to radio transmitters, robotics and smart home automation.

No Registration Required. Please just drop in throughout the afternoon.
For more information about the Digital Innovation Hub, please call 416-393-7007.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

scruss

Re: Toronto - 2017-06-17

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm

This is happening tomorrow afternoon!
(am I ready for my talk yet? ish …)

The library link has changed a bit, but we're still aim for the same talks and demos:
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/deta ... =EVT284109
Raspberry Pi - Interactive Demonstrations

Sat Jun 17, 2017

12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

300 mins

Toronto Reference Library Discussion Room

Join us on Saturday, June 17 for an afternoon of talks and demos on the Raspberry Pi, a family of tiny computers that range in price from $10 to $50. The Raspberry Pi is a series of small single-board computers developed to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and in developing countries.

Demonstrations will take place throughout the afternoon from 12 noon to 5 pm in the Discussion Room, 3rd Floor, including projects ranging from media players and gaming to radio transmitters, robotics and smart home automation.

Additionally, several talks with live demonstrations are scheduled in the Hinton Theatre on the 3rd floor of the Toronto Reference Library beginning at 1:00 pm.

No Registration Required. Please just drop in throughout the afternoon.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Amarsh

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Really great initiative in Toronto. I just can not attend this year. I would appreciate it if you could share pictures and news of the event on the Raspberry Pi Blog.

afmcdnl
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm based in Ottawa and hope to start something like this here. I might try to get a demo table at the MakerFaire in Oct 2017.

neilakos

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 am

This happens every year, right? I'd like to visit Toronto, so this sounds like a good excuse.

scruss

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:07 pm

I wouldn't travel here just to see it. It was more of a summary of what the local Raspberry Pi Meetup does.

Return to “User groups and events”