wintrmute
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:57 am

keyosuke wrote:It's been a while so I'm wondering if there are plans to keep working on this as a distro. It's been fun to play with.
I'm planning to do a new build based on Ubuntu 15.04, once that's out and had a chance to stabilise.
Hoping to sort out some of the desktop permissions issues at the same time.

Notinkeys
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm liking what I see so far, but for the life of me I cannot get my Pi 2's WiPi recognized in wpagui. I'm semi-new to Linux, so there is much I am trying to learn here.

Nothing I've seen on the internet helps me. It works fine in other distros I have on SD cards, but it complains about not finding it in wpa_supplicant.conf.

Help?

hutch71
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Is there a recovery modus, if yes, how to start?

logged myself out with

Code: Select all

usermod -G linaro video
everytime when asked for the sudo password it says "not a member of sudoers", so i have have to start the recovery modus to to this:

Code: Select all

unmount -o remount rw/

Code: Select all

usermod -aG sudo linaro

LenReinhart
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:46 pm

wintrmute, please give us a heads up here when you get the new one working. I've been happiest with your last one on the Pi2.

Len

Mishkin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi, I have two questions, please I need being replied.

From what I understand, this is Ubuntu Utopic 14.10 for Raspberry Pi 2

Question 1- If I install this, will the automatic updates be available like on my laptop Ubuntu? What are the extra efforts needed to update it? I am particularly interested with Utopic Unicorn, because it will only be supported for 9 months, means no extra upgrades (for what i can understand) after this 9 months period.

Question 2- Will the softwares be available like my laptop, from the software center? Or it will take extra effort attempting to find those already arm compiled?

tks, a reply is greatly apprecied.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Updates can be checked using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. There is no software center and you have to install using sudo apt-get install...
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mishkin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Thank you for your reply, regarding the softwares, do they need to be compiled for arm? For instance, blender... could I just use apt-get install to install it? If I need to compile them for arm, what would that take, is it an easy process?

tks.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Mishkin wrote:Thank you for your reply, regarding the softwares, do they need to be compiled for arm? For instance, blender... could I just use apt-get install to install it? If I need to compile them for arm, what would that take, is it an easy process?

tks.
Blender is in the repos so you can install it like that, but last time I heard it won't work (well) since there is no OpenGL.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm curious, what repository does this distro use?
is there a repository specific to this distro, or do you use an official ubuntu repository (if one exist for ARMv7 systems, I would think the Ubuntu repositories would contain only x86 software), or do you simply borrow the Raspbian repository?

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

mahjongg wrote:I'm curious, what repository does this distro use?
is there a repository specific to this distro, or do you use an official ubuntu repository (if one exist for ARMv7 systems, I would think the Ubuntu repositories would contain only x86 software), or do you simply borrow the Raspbian repository?
It uses ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports utopic which is pretty up to date. If you go there, you can see that the software is ported for ARMv7 among other architectures.

A side note which I found when browsing the repo before: if you add ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ utopic-updates then you get very recent software (I used it to mainly get chromium v41)
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

LenReinhart
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Whatever it is using, Blender does not start on the standard Raspian, and on this version it starts and I have played with simple modeling and even loaded a video for editing. There really isn't enough memory to do either well, but the fact that it will startup indicates to me this Arm7 version has a working OpenGL. I'm not sure where to look to verify this.

gkreidl
Posts: 6129
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:04 pm

LenReinhart wrote:Whatever it is using, Blender does not start on the standard Raspian, and on this version it starts and I have played with simple modeling and even loaded a video for editing. There really isn't enough memory to do either well, but the fact that it will startup indicates to me this Arm7 version has a working OpenGL. I'm not sure where to look to verify this.
No, I suppose it uses a software OpenGL emulator.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

wintrmute
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:23 am

valebat wrote:Is the build environment you used available ? It would save me a lot of work and I'm willing post various upstream updates for others to use.
Not really.. it's just a handful of scripts and some big disk image files and an overlay directory. it started off with the intent of being easy to replicate but then ended up messy.
I was thinking I'd try and do the next version in a more automated/shareable manner though.. It's kind of just a matter of me getting enough spare time, which hasn't been common recently.

wintrmute
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 am

But, that said -- if you're able to follow my earlier comments on the forum describing the system (kpartx, arm-qemu, etc) then I could share what I've got, but it does assume knowledge.

keyosuke
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 am

Super big thanks for still having interest. This distro has been a lot of fun to play with.
wintrmute wrote:
keyosuke wrote:It's been a while so I'm wondering if there are plans to keep working on this as a distro. It's been fun to play with.
I'm planning to do a new build based on Ubuntu 15.04, once that's out and had a chance to stabilise.
Hoping to sort out some of the desktop permissions issues at the same time.

User avatar
alexus
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:09 am

How do I get flash to work?
Raspberry Pi (1|2|3) - Raspbian
http://alexus.org/

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21057
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:29 am

alexus wrote:How do I get flash to work?
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202&start=25
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
alexus
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm getting following:

wpa_gui:
Status: Could not get status from wpa_supplicant
Raspberry Pi (1|2|3) - Raspbian
http://alexus.org/

QB1887
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi guys,
sorry for my bad english. i have installed the Ubuntu / Linaro. And i just got errors when i try to use LIRC. Is that a known problem?


lirc stop = /sys/class/rc/: No such file or directory

irsend... = "could not connect to socket"#

can u help me.

Thanx

User avatar
lucario
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Sinnoh
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 am

ktb wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:
What happens for you when you do:

wget 'mirror: http://lucario.info/archive/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip'
wget will not work normally with MS onedrive.live.com (that's where it is hosted)

You would have to get a temporary download link like this one:

Code: Select all

wget https://dyg6xg-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y2p0seLC0a9ZZHNRT1u8AWNhTuZ7aXuByDKhKQKTjqlKQ0IuFr0Q4QAS-B6LixRviVnt7sd0nzfza5lmvLe49XspTWRHNgQmviE0gRqbbi4mrfoUgLEiVKZYPbyhDblbKd2/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip?download&psid=1
Yep, I've noticed that almost all downloads are being routed through Onedrive through the load balancer - I've logged over 13.5k downloads already! I was afraid that there was going to be a few wget'ers out there - ktb's suggestion is currently the way to go for wget-ing at high speeds; one easy way of fetching the temporary URL is to start downloading the zip in a browser, then going to the downloads section and copying the download link. That https:// link will then be wget-able.

I'll work on getting a static, hot-linkable link in the next few days, too, but with a few people on it at the same time, I can't guarantee it'll be as fast as the other two options!

Edit 4/19: Clarification
Last edited by lucario on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffZwolle
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Has anyone already tried and succeeded in compiling Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 ?

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

I have tried 2 guides:
http://bitzuma.com/posts/compile-bitcoi ... on-ubuntu/
http://bit-post.com/featured/running-bi ... -pi-2-4419

Both manuals don't get the desired result: Bitcoin Core with GUI.

I already found out that there more libraries must be installed then are given in these guides.

apt-get install build-essential autoconf libssl-dev libboost-dev libboost-chrono-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-test-dev libboost-thread-dev libqt4-dev libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler libqrencode-dev libtool

During the last make-command I get an error after a while:
(all lines with CXX in it seem to be normal)

Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/db-4.8.30.NC/build_unix/bitcoin/src'
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/db-4.8.30.NC/build_unix/bitcoin/src'
CXX primitives/libbitcoinconsensus_la-transaction.lo
CXX crypto/libbitcoinconsensus_la-hmac_sha512.lo
CXX crypto/libbitcoinconsensus_la-sha1.lo
CXX crypto/libbitcoinconsensus_la-sha256.lo
CXX crypto/libbitcoinconsensus_la-sha512.lo
CXX crypto/libbitcoinconsensus_la-ripemd160.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-eccryptoverify.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-ecwrapper.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-hash.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-pubkey.lo
CXX script/libbitcoinconsensus_la-script.lo
CXX script/libbitcoinconsensus_la-interpreter.lo
CXX script/libbitcoinconsensus_la-bitcoinconsensus.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-uint256.lo
CXX libbitcoinconsensus_la-utilstrencodings.lo
CXXLD libbitcoinconsensus.la
CXX bitcoind-bitcoind.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-addrman.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-alert.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-bloom.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-chain.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-checkpoints.o
CXX libbitcoin_server_a-init.o
g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.9/README.Bugs> for instructions.
Makefile:3461: recipe for target 'libbitcoin_server_a-init.o' failed
make[2]: *** [libbitcoin_server_a-init.o] Error 4
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/db-4.8.30.NC/build_unix/bitcoin/src'
Makefile:6236: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/db-4.8.30.NC/build_unix/bitcoin/src'
Makefile:557: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

User avatar
lucario
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Sinnoh
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:58 pm

"Killed" sounds like the Pi might have run out of RAM when compiling. I know that 1GB isn't enough to compile eMark's (an alternative crypto-currency) daemon. You could try giving the Pi some swap to prevent it from running out of RAM, and watching the Pi's RAM usage by running htop ('sudo apt-get install htop && htop') in a different terminal window.

To make a swapfile you can run the following commands:
sudo fallocate -l 2048M /swapfile (this will create a 2GB swapfile in your root directory of the SD card)
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

And when you're done, if you want to remove the swap file to free up some space,
sudo swapoff -a
sudo rm -f /swapfile

will get rid of it for you.

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap

User avatar
lucario
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Sinnoh
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:02 pm

lucario wrote:
ktb wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:
What happens for you when you do:

wget 'mirror: http://lucario.info/archive/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip'
wget will not work normally with MS onedrive.live.com (that's where it is hosted)

You would have to get a temporary download link like this one:

Code: Select all

wget https://dyg6xg-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y2p0seLC0a9ZZHNRT1u8AWNhTuZ7aXuByDKhKQKTjqlKQ0IuFr0Q4QAS-B6LixRviVnt7sd0nzfza5lmvLe49XspTWRHNgQmviE0gRqbbi4mrfoUgLEiVKZYPbyhDblbKd2/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip?download&psid=1
Yep, I've noticed that almost all downloads are being routed through Onedrive through the load balancer - I've logged over 13.5k downloads already! I was afraid that there was going to be a few wget'ers out there - ktb's suggestion is currently the way to go for wget-ing at high speeds; one easy way of fetching the temporary URL is to start downloading the zip, then going to the downloads section and copying the download link. That https:// link will then be wget-able.

I'll work on getting a static, hot-linkable link in the next few days, too, but with a few people on it at the same time, I can't guarantee it'll be as fast as the other two options!
I've added an option to force the load balancer to provide you with a hotlink for those of you who are trying to use wget and can't do the above for some reason.

If possible, PLEASE use the above technique if you get sent to OneDrive to wget the ZIP - it will ensure you get the best download speeds available!

That said, here's the link that will allow wget to directly download the latest (V2 as of now, from Feb. 16) Raspuntu:
http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/do ... php?hid=12

By the way, can't wait myself for another Raspuntu release!

QB1887
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 am

Can Anybody help me???



Hi guys,
sorry for my bad english. i have installed the Ubuntu / Linaro. And i just got errors when i try to use LIRC. Is that a known problem?


lirc stop = /sys/class/rc/: No such file or directory

irsend... = "could not connect to socket"#

can u help me.

Thanx

JeffZwolle
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:34 pm

lucario wrote:"Killed" sounds like the Pi might have run out of RAM when compiling. I know that 1GB isn't enough to compile eMark's (an alternative crypto-currency) daemon. You could try giving the Pi some swap to prevent it from running out of RAM, and watching the Pi's RAM usage by running htop ('sudo apt-get install htop && htop') in a different terminal window.

To make a swapfile you can run the following commands:
sudo fallocate -l 2048M /swapfile (this will create a 2GB swapfile in your root directory of the SD card)
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

And when you're done, if you want to remove the swap file to free up some space,
sudo swapoff -a
sudo rm -f /swapfile

will get rid of it for you.

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap
Thank you very much.
This was the solution :-)
Regards

Return to “Other”