ghans

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 am

Support and fragmentation. The foundation has and is heavily invested in Raspbian. Furthermore Ryan Finnies Ubuntu image has a lot speaking for itself , too. Perhaps bundling
efforts with him would make this really competetive to Raspbian ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

michaelyuan1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Hey has anyone managed to set up Turtlebot? Can anyone provide a step by step of how to do that?

Thanks!

ktb

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 am

gkreidl wrote: 3) Do you have a working HW accelerated media player on Ubuntu now? Last thing I heard was that omxplayer couldn't be installed.
FWIW, http://omxplayer.sconde.net/builds/omxp ... _armhf.deb
does seem to work for me (using omxplayerGUI) on the other Ubuntu image. Is there anything specific I should test? It played this fine:

Code: Select all

Stream 0
	Type: Video
	Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
	Resolution: 480x360
	Display resolution: 480x360
	Frame rate: 25
	Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
Stream 1
	Type: Audio
	Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
	Channels: Stereo
	Sample rate: 44100 Hz

gkreidl

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:59 am

Good to know; someone else had reported that he had problems installing omxplayer.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

eriktheitalian

Re: Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:16 am

tomhk wrote:
nhjeffh wrote:Hs anyone successfully gotten the Realtek (wireless) 8188CUS adapter to work with this distribution?
I got it working by remove the wps_gui and install wicd-curses

That's what I did, a bit of trial and error so the steps are not 100% correct, let me know if you have any problem with it.

Install python-urwid
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... id/1.2.1-2

Install wicd-daemon
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Install wicd-curses
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Use 'sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb' to install, xxxx.deb is the file you downloaded from the above links.

You may need to use 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix the dependency issues if you one.
wcd can be buggy.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

Methanoid

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:26 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Methanoid wrote:You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing almost everything.
1) For the foundation compatibility between all sold RPis is very important. And splitting up the community (support!) doesn't look like a good idea to me.
2) I don't think there's anything on Ubuntu that you cannot do with Raspbian (both are based on Debian). At the moment Ubuntu will provide newer packages than Raspbian but that will soon change when we migrate to Jessie.
3) Do you have a working HW accelerated media player on Ubuntu now? Last thing I heard was that omxplayer couldn't be installed.
4) There's some stuff that is only available for Raspbian (because of special deals), as Wolfram/Mathematica, Oracle Java etc.
5) What may be speaking for Ubuntu is the native ARMv7 code, but the Foundation is working on a solution that will add ARMv7 packages without breaking compatibility completely.

BTW, I'm a long time user of Ubuntu on my desktop computers. But I won't migrate to it on my RPis.
1) And my view would be that Rpi2 users would probably like their Linux to be properly optimized for the hardware, fragmentation or not. We already see OpenElec builds for Pi2 and Pi1. It is inevitable i would say....
2) You said it.. newer packages ;-)
3) Apparently we do :-)
4) True... but we get offered Arch as a competitor... why not Ubuntu (Pi2)?
5) Have they said how long this might be? Isn't it likely to be a bit of a kludge to make it work on both and yet be extracting FULL Pi2 performance?

gerbenm

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Guys,

First of all, really great work. This works really well on my raspberry pi 2.
I have a few issues with wpa_gui and i dont want to use wicd.

I have totally no knowledge of linux or what so ever. But the problem was that my wifi adapter is not showing in the list of wpa_gui (wlan0 not visible). I did a few things to make it visible and i am able to connect with my wireless network. Butt it's probaly not the best way i did it. So perhaps someone with more knowledge could fix this easily.

My interfaces file (sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces)
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

And the wpa_supplicant.conf (sudo vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf)
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
As you can see added a GROUP, but i dont know the correct group this image runs. So i did the following:
sudo -s
usermod -a -G netdev linaro
After this i was able to see my wifi adapter and scan for networks. I could not select a network in the network dropdown list because this stays empty somehow. Butt at this point it gets the job done.

Perhaps someone else could look into this to make it work properly and not so hackish as i did now (probally a bad way to do it)

Grtz
Last edited by gerbenm on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

johniwad

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Works good but I am unable to get a wifi adapter working. Tried two different adapters but no joy. I believe they are supported. Am I missing something. Edimax ew-7811un and Ralink RT5370.

livinitwarrior

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 pm

hey all, I've been following this the last day or so. I've got my wireless working (wicd-curses), installed full KDE desktop, and even have synaptic working with the newest VLC packages. I've come across two problems, one of which I'm hoping Ubuntu Software Center's PySDM works for me and automounts my external hard drives. The other is when I'm going from my monitor to television (both using HDMI), it's making the screen too large for the television. Is this a TV problem, or is there a way for it to auto-correct to current displays?

keg

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Great distro, any one know how to get printing working? cheers.

wintrmute

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:55 am

livinitwarrior wrote:when I'm going from my monitor to television (both using HDMI), it's making the screen too large for the television. Is this a TV problem, or is there a way for it to auto-correct to current displays?
Your TV is "under-scanning". Go into the TV settings, and find a "screen mode" selection and see if you can find an option to fix it.
It's often in the same place as where you can adjust ratios and zoom modes. You want to find a mode that makes it do 100% pixel-to-pixel display. It might be called "DVI Mode" or "Computer Mode" on some TVs, whereas on others I've seen it called "100% Screen" or "Fit Screen".

Anyway, that's the best way to fix this issue. But if you really can't find the right option, you can edit /boot/config.txt and enable "overscan" in there -- but you'll get a sharper, clearer image by adjusting the TV option.

livinitwarrior

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 am

wintrmute wrote:
livinitwarrior wrote:when I'm going from my monitor to television (both using HDMI), it's making the screen too large for the television. Is this a TV problem, or is there a way for it to auto-correct to current displays?
Your TV is "under-scanning". Go into the TV settings, and find a "screen mode" selection and see if you can find an option to fix it.
It's often in the same place as where you can adjust ratios and zoom modes. You want to find a mode that makes it do 100% pixel-to-pixel display. It might be called "DVI Mode" or "Computer Mode" on some TVs, whereas on others I've seen it called "100% Screen" or "Fit Screen".

Anyway, that's the best way to fix this issue. But if you really can't find the right option, you can edit /boot/config.txt and enable "overscan" in there -- but you'll get a sharper, clearer image by adjusting the TV option.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 am

You can set overscan/underscan values in /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all

overscan_left=-20
overscan_right=-20
overscan_top=-20
overscan_bottom=-20
positive values shrink the image, negative values stretch it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gerbenm

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:14 am

I'm running into a new problem.
I would like to start chromium-browser into kiosk as soon i start the raspberry pi.
I already tried dozens of options but i cant get it to work, it seems nothing is responding to the things i put in the autostart file...

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

mitchelln

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:45 pm

mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot
This seems to break the start up of some services for me e.g. udhcpd.

sshanky

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I have been working with this build but there are some issues I can't seem to get around (rotate display to portrait orientation, manually setting screen resolution, for example).

Question: Can I still use the old player with Pi2 version of Raspbian? It worked quite well on the first Pi, other than freezing up sometimes. Maybe it won't happen on the Pi2.

Thanks

MyTer

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 am

What a great distro!

I managed to install VLC with apt-get, but VLC doesn't seem to work properly.
I get an image of the first scene, as usual in VLC, but it doesn't play.

Is there another media player I can use, or has this anything to do with MPEG2 license?

regards

mitchelln

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 am

MyTer wrote:What a great distro!

I managed to install VLC with apt-get, but VLC doesn't seem to work properly.
I get an image of the first scene, as usual in VLC, but it doesn't play.

Is there another media player I can use, or has this anything to do with MPEG2 license?

regards
Try omxplayer. This has been optimised for the Pi and works well for me on this distro.
http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

jeromey

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am

Hi,

I've installed it yesterday to see how it works, didnt have much time tho, will play arround without it more tonight.

Can Xmbc/Kodi be installed aswell as Mopidy/pi Musicbox?

Gr,
Jerome

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 am

Try omxplayer. This has been optimised for the Pi and works well for me on this distro.
omxplayer is good; the only problem with it is that the keyboard functions (e.g., "q" for quit) don't work.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

gkreidl

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
omxplayer is good; the only problem with it is that the keyboard functions (e.g., "q" for quit) don't work.
Only for you.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mccurly

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:23 am

gkreidl wrote:
Methanoid wrote:You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing almost everything.
1) For the foundation compatibility between all sold RPis is very important. And splitting up the community (support!) doesn't look like a good idea to me.
2) I don't think there's anything on Ubuntu that you cannot do with Raspbian (both are based on Debian). At the moment Ubuntu will provide newer packages than Raspbian but that will soon change when we migrate to Jessie.
3) Do you have a working HW accelerated media player on Ubuntu now? Last thing I heard was that omxplayer couldn't be installed.
4) There's some stuff that is only available for Raspbian (because of special deals), as Wolfram/Mathematica, Oracle Java etc.
5) What may be speaking for Ubuntu is the native ARMv7 code, but the Foundation is working on a solution that will add ARMv7 packages without breaking compatibility completely.

BTW, I'm a long time user of Ubuntu on my desktop computers. But I won't migrate to it on my RPis.

Hello. I understand both sides of the argument. But I am a bit more sympathetic with the fact that the foundation may indeed have been a little bit misfortunate now in preventing some sort of split up when that's what She's actually done. I mean if she didn't want things to evolve that way, then why did she produce with two types of significantly different material? Are we obliged to wait and be the foundation's puppets without any sort of initiative whatsoever? Again, where will the foundation be without the care of self thinking individuals?

Having said that I must also admire the effort (indeed I do think it is a very deep effort) to accomplish the compatibility that many of us cherish. I mean there aren't many people out there who like to watch their goods (consumer or otherwise) to be rapidly obsolete...

But let yourselves be the judges accusers or defendants. You surely are free to do that.

mccurly

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 am

Hello everyone!

Well I have tried for the last days to build and run latest stable kodi. Because I had also tried out with the ubuntu trusty on the other topic, I have been maintaining the discussion on that topic. Since I finished it up, I think it may be interesting to share here the link with the summary of the last stages of the task (and the ones I think might have been the most relevant)..

To whomever may be aroused - - - >

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 61#p712261

Cheers

snoopyk

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:51 am

please how do I change the resolution in Ubuntu / Linaro at 1280x1024 my monitor 4:3 max resolution 1600x1200
Some sort of tutorial for noobs?
Thanks

PateDeGato

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:48 pm

snoopyk wrote:please how do I change the resolution in Ubuntu / Linaro at 1280x1024 my monitor 4:3 max resolution 1600x1200
Some sort of tutorial for noobs?
Thanks
Check your hdmi config in your config.txt on the boot partition. You can edit it in NOOBS Recovery mode. You'll need to uncomment and change hdmi_group and hdmi_mode with your needed config.
La selva es responsable de más de 3000 muertes por ataques de animales salvajes al año. Tiene más de 700 elementos que producen cáncer. Eliminemos la selva antes de que sea demasiado tarde.

Return to “Other”