Page 7 of 13

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm
by Methanoid
Mequa wrote:Is this even permitted?

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
pistore
It works. I've just been playing Cookie Clicker on Ubuntu Linaro, from the Pi Store...
Did NOT work as shown....... Is there something missing like installing the dependencies?

[email protected]:~$ sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package pistore.
(Reading database ... 42973 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb ...
Adding group `indiecity' (GID 1002) ...
Done.
chgrp: cannot access ‘/var/lib/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access ‘/usr/local/bin/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
find: `./InstalledApps/*/Full/*_reg.xml': No such file or directory
Unpacking pistore (1.1.16693) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pistore:
pistore depends on libqtwebkit4; however:
Package libqtwebkit4 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pistore (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pistore

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 am
by Mequa
Methanoid wrote:
Mequa wrote:Is this even permitted?

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
pistore
It works. I've just been playing Cookie Clicker on Ubuntu Linaro, from the Pi Store...
Did NOT work as shown....... Is there something missing like installing the dependencies?

[email protected]:~$ sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package pistore.
(Reading database ... 42973 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb ...
Adding group `indiecity' (GID 1002) ...
Done.
chgrp: cannot access ‘/var/lib/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access ‘/usr/local/bin/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
find: `./InstalledApps/*/Full/*_reg.xml': No such file or directory
Unpacking pistore (1.1.16693) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pistore:
pistore depends on libqtwebkit4; however:
Package libqtwebkit4 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pistore (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pistore
I got the above error and then did "sudo apt-get -f install" (as stated) and it correctly fixed this problem and installed the dependency "libqtwebkit4" from the Ubuntu repositories.
Then Pi Store starts successfully from either the Terminal or the menu, at least in my experience.

This may possibly break the Ubuntu Software Center ("sudo apt-get install software-center"), more testing and workarounds may be needed. Also, not all Pi Store apps will install and/or run on Ubuntu Linaro. Cookie Clicker is one example which does work.

(I don't currently have this to test on an SD card right now, I'm re-using my second 32GB micro-SD for video at present.)

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 am
by mikethebos
Hello,

How do I get the MATE desktop environment running on this image?

Mike

Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 am
by nhjeffh
Hs anyone successfully gotten the Realtek (wireless) 8188CUS adapter to work with this distribution?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 pm
by Mequa
The following seems to work, and installs the Pi Store on Ubuntu Linaro without giving any error messages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install libqtwebkit4
wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
pistore
Unfortunately this does seem to break the Ubuntu Software Center for some reason.

Re: Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 am
by tomhk
nhjeffh wrote:Hs anyone successfully gotten the Realtek (wireless) 8188CUS adapter to work with this distribution?
I got it working by remove the wps_gui and install wicd-curses

That's what I did, a bit of trial and error so the steps are not 100% correct, let me know if you have any problem with it.

Install python-urwid
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... id/1.2.1-2

Install wicd-daemon
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Install wicd-curses
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Use 'sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb' to install, xxxx.deb is the file you downloaded from the above links.

You may need to use 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix the dependency issues if you one.

Re: Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:35 am
by wintrmute
tomhk wrote: I got it working by remove the wps_gui and install wicd-curses
Use 'sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb' to install, xxxx.deb is the file you downloaded from the above links.
You may need to use 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix the dependency issues if you one.
Why didn't you just do "apt-get install wicd-curses" ? That should download and install it plus the dependencies automatically.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 pm
by mikethebos
How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:44 pm
by Frays
Awesome ! Thank you very much !
Does anyone know how to disable screen blanking after some minutes and how to auto login ?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:26 am
by wintrmute
mikethebos wrote:How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?
These sort of questions will have answers in regular Ubuntu forums, if you look there. They're not Raspberry-specific. Might save you some time is all :)
Although the automatic wireless connection is answered in this very thread - search for "wpa-psk".
I don't know if you noticed, but an ssh server is already setup in this image.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:46 am
by mikethebos
wintrmute wrote:
mikethebos wrote:How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?
These sort of questions will have answers in regular Ubuntu forums, if you look there. They're not Raspberry-specific. Might save you some time is all :)
Although the automatic wireless connection is answered in this very thread - search for "wpa-psk".
I don't know if you noticed, but an ssh server is already setup in this image.
I do not see specifics on how to make wireless auto join at boot. Is it the networkinterfaces file?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 am
by DougieLawson
It's in the interfaces file or wpa_supplicant.conf depending how you've defined the SSID and psk.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 am
by iinnovations
I noticed that this distro had no /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. Had to create one, but other than that worked fine with wpa and 8188. I'm not sure why others were having problems.

LogMeIn Hamachi took a slight workaround:

http://www.cupidcontrols.com/2015/02/ru ... tu-linaro/

C

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm
by Signa1
Anyone know if screen rotation (portrait mode) is possible?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:52 pm
by mikethebos
If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm
by mikethebos
Has anyone gotten Minecraft Pi working on this distro yet?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:59 am
by gewin
mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 am
by sshanky
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how to change the display resolution and rotation? I learned how to change a config file in Raspbian that would allow portrait orientation with a specific resolution, but I do not know how it works on this.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:23 pm
by mikethebos
gewin wrote:
mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.
As seen on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1359439 it's related. Run that command and reboot. Don't worry about packages like ubuntu-minimal getting removed, they aren't needed! Let us know if it works out!

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 am
by mitchelln
Hi.

I've just installed this on my PI 2. What a difference! I run a mediawiki instance on the board and with the latest Rasbian it was taking around 10 seconds to render a page and I was a bit disheartenend. I then tried this Linaro build and now the pages render in around 2 seconds. An amazing improvement. It's really usable now. Great job and thanks for the effort!

I do have a question. I have a RasClock V3.0. Has anyone got this working? There is a prebuilt module, but it's for a different kernel version. I assume I'm going to have to build the module?

Thanks.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 am
by gewin
mikethebos wrote:
gewin wrote:
mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.
As seen on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1359439 it's related. Run that command and reboot. Don't worry about packages like ubuntu-minimal getting removed, they aren't needed! Let us know if it works out!
This partially solves my problem, after the sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv and rebooting. The error messages (as above) went away and I was presented with a login prompt (in cmdline mode). I logged in with username and password so I am now at cmdline $. I don't seem to be able to start the graphics environment. sudo startx - no command, sudo start gdm - failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: connection refused, sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm start - nothing happens. Forgive my ignorance, how do I restart the standard desktop. My previous configurations was to autologin to an account and start the desktop. Now I just have a cmdline interface.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 am
by eriktheitalian
Note for atheros based wifi / bluetooth users:

Default ubuntu 14.10 not support atheros based wifi / bluetooth.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 am
by jamesh
mitchelln wrote:Hi.

I've just installed this on my PI 2. What a difference! I run a mediawiki instance on the board and with the latest Rasbian it was taking around 10 seconds to render a page and I was a bit disheartenend. I then tried this Linaro build and now the pages render in around 2 seconds. An amazing improvement. It's really usable now. Great job and thanks for the effort!

I do have a question. I have a RasClock V3.0. Has anyone got this working? There is a prebuilt module, but it's for a different kernel version. I assume I'm going to have to build the module?

Thanks.
Interesting, I wouldn't expect this to be 5 times faster than Raspbian on the same machine. Anyone know where the improvements are?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am
by Methanoid
You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 am
by gkreidl
Methanoid wrote:You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing almost everything.
1) For the foundation compatibility between all sold RPis is very important. And splitting up the community (support!) doesn't look like a good idea to me.
2) I don't think there's anything on Ubuntu that you cannot do with Raspbian (both are based on Debian). At the moment Ubuntu will provide newer packages than Raspbian but that will soon change when we migrate to Jessie.
3) Do you have a working HW accelerated media player on Ubuntu now? Last thing I heard was that omxplayer couldn't be installed.
4) There's some stuff that is only available for Raspbian (because of special deals), as Wolfram/Mathematica, Oracle Java etc.
5) What may be speaking for Ubuntu is the native ARMv7 code, but the Foundation is working on a solution that will add ARMv7 packages without breaking compatibility completely.

BTW, I'm a long time user of Ubuntu on my desktop computers. But I won't migrate to it on my RPis.