Methanoid
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Mequa wrote:Is this even permitted?

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
pistore
It works. I've just been playing Cookie Clicker on Ubuntu Linaro, from the Pi Store...
Did NOT work as shown....... Is there something missing like installing the dependencies?

[email protected]:~$ sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package pistore.
(Reading database ... 42973 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb ...
Adding group `indiecity' (GID 1002) ...
Done.
chgrp: cannot access ‘/var/lib/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access ‘/usr/local/bin/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
find: `./InstalledApps/*/Full/*_reg.xml': No such file or directory
Unpacking pistore (1.1.16693) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pistore:
pistore depends on libqtwebkit4; however:
Package libqtwebkit4 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pistore (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pistore

User avatar
Mequa
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 pm
Location: England
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 am

Methanoid wrote:
Mequa wrote:Is this even permitted?

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
pistore
It works. I've just been playing Cookie Clicker on Ubuntu Linaro, from the Pi Store...
Did NOT work as shown....... Is there something missing like installing the dependencies?

[email protected]:~$ sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package pistore.
(Reading database ... 42973 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb ...
Adding group `indiecity' (GID 1002) ...
Done.
chgrp: cannot access ‘/var/lib/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access ‘/usr/local/bin/indiecity/*’: No such file or directory
find: `./InstalledApps/*/Full/*_reg.xml': No such file or directory
Unpacking pistore (1.1.16693) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pistore:
pistore depends on libqtwebkit4; however:
Package libqtwebkit4 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pistore (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pistore
I got the above error and then did "sudo apt-get -f install" (as stated) and it correctly fixed this problem and installed the dependency "libqtwebkit4" from the Ubuntu repositories.
Then Pi Store starts successfully from either the Terminal or the menu, at least in my experience.

This may possibly break the Ubuntu Software Center ("sudo apt-get install software-center"), more testing and workarounds may be needed. Also, not all Pi Store apps will install and/or run on Ubuntu Linaro. Cookie Clicker is one example which does work.

(I don't currently have this to test on an SD card right now, I'm re-using my second 32GB micro-SD for video at present.)

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 am

Hello,

How do I get the MATE desktop environment running on this image?

Mike

nhjeffh
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:50 am

Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 am

Hs anyone successfully gotten the Realtek (wireless) 8188CUS adapter to work with this distribution?

User avatar
Mequa
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 pm
Location: England
Contact: Website

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 pm

The following seems to work, and installs the Pi Store on Ubuntu Linaro without giving any error messages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install libqtwebkit4
wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
pistore
Unfortunately this does seem to break the Ubuntu Software Center for some reason.

tomhk
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 am

Re: Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 am

nhjeffh wrote:Hs anyone successfully gotten the Realtek (wireless) 8188CUS adapter to work with this distribution?
I got it working by remove the wps_gui and install wicd-curses

That's what I did, a bit of trial and error so the steps are not 100% correct, let me know if you have any problem with it.

Install python-urwid
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... id/1.2.1-2

Install wicd-daemon
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Install wicd-curses
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/armh ... 4.1ubuntu1

Use 'sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb' to install, xxxx.deb is the file you downloaded from the above links.

You may need to use 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix the dependency issues if you one.

wintrmute
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 am

Re: Realtek-based Wireless adapter

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:35 am

tomhk wrote: I got it working by remove the wps_gui and install wicd-curses
Use 'sudo dpkg -i xxxx.deb' to install, xxxx.deb is the file you downloaded from the above links.
You may need to use 'sudo apt-get -f install' to fix the dependency issues if you one.
Why didn't you just do "apt-get install wicd-curses" ? That should download and install it plus the dependencies automatically.

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 pm

How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?

Frays
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Awesome ! Thank you very much !
Does anyone know how to disable screen blanking after some minutes and how to auto login ?

wintrmute
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:26 am

mikethebos wrote:How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?
These sort of questions will have answers in regular Ubuntu forums, if you look there. They're not Raspberry-specific. Might save you some time is all :)
Although the automatic wireless connection is answered in this very thread - search for "wpa-psk".
I don't know if you noticed, but an ssh server is already setup in this image.

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:46 am

wintrmute wrote:
mikethebos wrote:How do I setup automatic wireless joining at boot? How do I start a VNC server at boot after the wireless connects? And SSH?
These sort of questions will have answers in regular Ubuntu forums, if you look there. They're not Raspberry-specific. Might save you some time is all :)
Although the automatic wireless connection is answered in this very thread - search for "wpa-psk".
I don't know if you noticed, but an ssh server is already setup in this image.
I do not see specifics on how to make wireless auto join at boot. Is it the networkinterfaces file?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36316
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 am

It's in the interfaces file or wpa_supplicant.conf depending how you've defined the SSID and psk.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
iinnovations
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:01 am

I noticed that this distro had no /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file. Had to create one, but other than that worked fine with wpa and 8188. I'm not sure why others were having problems.

LogMeIn Hamachi took a slight workaround:

http://www.cupidcontrols.com/2015/02/ru ... tu-linaro/

C
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

Signa1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Anyone know if screen rotation (portrait mode) is possible?

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:52 pm

If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Has anyone gotten Minecraft Pi working on this distro yet?

gewin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:59 am

mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.

sshanky
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 am

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how to change the display resolution and rotation? I learned how to change a config file in Raspbian that would allow portrait orientation with a specific resolution, but I do not know how it works on this.

Thanks a lot!

mikethebos
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:23 pm

gewin wrote:
mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.
As seen on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1359439 it's related. Run that command and reboot. Don't worry about packages like ubuntu-minimal getting removed, they aren't needed! Let us know if it works out!

mitchelln
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 am

Hi.

I've just installed this on my PI 2. What a difference! I run a mediawiki instance on the board and with the latest Rasbian it was taking around 10 seconds to render a page and I was a bit disheartenend. I then tried this Linaro build and now the pages render in around 2 seconds. An amazing improvement. It's really usable now. Great job and thanks for the effort!

I do have a question. I have a RasClock V3.0. Has anyone got this working? There is a prebuilt module, but it's for a different kernel version. I assume I'm going to have to build the module?

Thanks.

gewin
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 am

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 am

mikethebos wrote:
gewin wrote:
mikethebos wrote:If people are having issues with the authentication agent, run:
sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv
and reboot

Is this related to the " Failed to start unit [email protected]: Unknown unit " I get when trying to boot. I get this randomly and haven't worked out how to fix it. Except reflash sd card from backup. Not sure if it is related to unclean shutdown or something I have changed. I notice their is an open bug for 14.10 regarding this type of error but not sure it is related.
As seen on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1359439 it's related. Run that command and reboot. Don't worry about packages like ubuntu-minimal getting removed, they aren't needed! Let us know if it works out!
This partially solves my problem, after the sudo apt-get install systemd-sysv and rebooting. The error messages (as above) went away and I was presented with a login prompt (in cmdline mode). I logged in with username and password so I am now at cmdline $. I don't seem to be able to start the graphics environment. sudo startx - no command, sudo start gdm - failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: connection refused, sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm start - nothing happens. Forgive my ignorance, how do I restart the standard desktop. My previous configurations was to autologin to an account and start the desktop. Now I just have a cmdline interface.

User avatar
eriktheitalian
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 am

Note for atheros based wifi / bluetooth users:

Default ubuntu 14.10 not support atheros based wifi / bluetooth.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23883
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 am

mitchelln wrote:Hi.

I've just installed this on my PI 2. What a difference! I run a mediawiki instance on the board and with the latest Rasbian it was taking around 10 seconds to render a page and I was a bit disheartenend. I then tried this Linaro build and now the pages render in around 2 seconds. An amazing improvement. It's really usable now. Great job and thanks for the effort!

I do have a question. I have a RasClock V3.0. Has anyone got this working? There is a prebuilt module, but it's for a different kernel version. I assume I'm going to have to build the module?

Thanks.
Interesting, I wouldn't expect this to be 5 times faster than Raspbian on the same machine. Anyone know where the improvements are?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Methanoid
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am

You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?

gkreidl
Posts: 6116
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 am

Methanoid wrote:You have to wonder why this isn't made available via the official downloads and on NOOBS. Why would anyone want to use Raspbian on a Pi2 now? Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing almost everything.
1) For the foundation compatibility between all sold RPis is very important. And splitting up the community (support!) doesn't look like a good idea to me.
2) I don't think there's anything on Ubuntu that you cannot do with Raspbian (both are based on Debian). At the moment Ubuntu will provide newer packages than Raspbian but that will soon change when we migrate to Jessie.
3) Do you have a working HW accelerated media player on Ubuntu now? Last thing I heard was that omxplayer couldn't be installed.
4) There's some stuff that is only available for Raspbian (because of special deals), as Wolfram/Mathematica, Oracle Java etc.
5) What may be speaking for Ubuntu is the native ARMv7 code, but the Foundation is working on a solution that will add ARMv7 packages without breaking compatibility completely.

BTW, I'm a long time user of Ubuntu on my desktop computers. But I won't migrate to it on my RPis.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Other”