Page 6 of 13

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 am
by hoangdinh
GMR73 wrote:After unscientific testing it appears Firefox is quicker than Chromium on this setup, this surprised me as Firefox has a reputation for not playing nice on ARM, that is not the case here. I don't know how much work Linaro have put into it to make it this way, the default home page is Linaro.
Exactly. Firefox is faster, smoother use less cpu than Chromium

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:14 am
by ricpersi
it's "wicd-curses" with "c" not "l".. :)
hoangdinh wrote: Thanks so much but it shows error
[email protected]:~# sudo apt-get install wild-curses
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wild-curses

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:46 am
by mohog
Bitten by the iphone auto correct feature once again.
ricpersi wrote:it's "wicd-curses" with "c" not "l".. :)
hoangdinh wrote: Thanks so much but it shows error
[email protected]:~# sudo apt-get install wild-curses
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wild-curses

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm
by Mequa
Is it possible to install the Raspberry Pi Foundation's enhancements to LXDE from Raspbian on this Ubuntu/Linaro build?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:51 pm
by kjellhei
nice work on this. it starts really quick, less than 15 sec from power to login(samsung 32GB u1 card). what is that color square in the upper right corner of the screen?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 pm
by agronpi
kjellhei wrote: what is that color square in the upper right corner of the screen?
It's a voltage issue.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 29&t=82373
I had a bad power supply, which I replaced, and it eliminated the issue.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:25 pm
by hoangdinh
ricpersi wrote:it's "wicd-curses" with "c" not "l".. :)
hoangdinh wrote: Thanks so much but it shows error
[email protected]:~# sudo apt-get install wild-curses
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wild-curses
Thank so much. Finally It works :D

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm
by kjellhei
agronpi wrote:
kjellhei wrote: what is that color square in the upper right corner of the screen?
It's a voltage issue.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 29&t=82373
I had a bad power supply, which I replaced, and it eliminated the issue.
thanks, turns out that my power cord was the problem. cheap 2m from dx.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:31 pm
by LenReinhart
After loading Raspian I loaded Mahjongg and Blender neither of which would start. I burned wintrmutes last image and wonder of wonders both started. My only problem now is I can't get a flash drive to mount. I tried "sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt" and got an error. It just plugged in and worked with Raspian, but I think this version will be the way to go once a few little things get mastered. I will try booting with the drive plugged in and see if it mounts on startup.

Anyway I am really optimistic. Blender is a good video editor (as well as many other things and it came up with no hesitation at all).

I plan on hooking up a hard drive that has an USB interface to use for scratch. This little gem of a computer is really neat!

Thanks for the fine work wintrmute :D

Len

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:08 pm
by LenReinhart
A little more info. I plugged in the USB and restarted the system and the volume showed up when I clicked on the file system tool, but when I right clicked on the volume name I got a message saying I wasn't authorized to perform that operation.

I tried editing the /etc/fstab file and adding /dev/sda then doing a sudo mount -a. At first I listed the file system type as vfat and it said it couldn't find a valid vfat filesystem (It is a 64GB stick formatted as fat32) so I gave it a filesystem type of fat32 and it said that wasn't a known filesystem type. As it shows the media label I think it is reading it and it works fine under Raspian so I think it is just ignorance on my part. It has been a long time since I worked with a UNIX system except as a casual user.

Len

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:28 pm
by Pelican104
Guys this is excellent work.

I'm having some trouble with the latest version though. Raspi-Config doesn't seem to save any changes I make. The overscan setting is now wrong and I have black borders on screen.

I can get in to raspi-config from a terminal window and can make changes but they don't have any effect after a reboot.

Looking forward to giving chromium a good testing in the latest release.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:39 pm
by LenReinhart
A little time with google and I found "fdisk -l" which showed that I needed to do the mount on /dev/sda1 and I gave it /media as the directory and there it was. Now to get it to mount automagically and give the user permission to use it.

Len

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am
by Daderushmore
Hi, I tried using my Raspberry Camera, but cant seem to get it working? I enabled it in raspi-config...is there something else i need to do?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 am
by PateDeGato
Anyone knows how to get working Unity/Anayana or Gnome?

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 pm
by user007
Pelican104 wrote:Guys this is excellent work.

I'm having some trouble with the latest version though. Raspi-Config doesn't seem to save any changes I make. The overscan setting is now wrong and I have black borders on screen.

I can get in to raspi-config from a terminal window and can make changes but they don't have any effect after a reboot.

Looking forward to giving chromium a good testing in the latest release.
Just edit the config.txt file in the boot partition, overscan option, it works.

BTW, I used Ubuntu Linaro small developer image raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-10.zip, used gparted to resize/extend/ the rootfs partition and installed full version of KDE using: apt-get install kde-full
It installed full Linaro desktop.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:03 pm
by GMR73
user007 wrote:
BTW, I used Ubuntu Linaro small developer image raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-10.zip, used gparted to resize/extend/ the rootfs partition and installed full version of KDE using: apt-get install kde-full
It installed full Linaro desktop.
I am interested to know how well KDE runs on this as it's quite a bit heavier than Lxde.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 pm
by user007
GMR73 wrote: I am interested to know how well KDE runs on this as it's quite a bit heavier than Lxde.
You may try out - it takes more than one hour to install the full KDE though.

BTW I found out that the best option to switch between different RPI2 OS is the Berryboot - Boot menu / OS installer for ARM devices:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/
They have updated Berryboot Boot menu for RPI2 now and all the links to OS images are working.
The downloading of the OS images with fast DSL connection is going at full speed.
It is possible to try out many different OS images using only one microSD card.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:50 pm
by berrabongo
Howto mount a USB memory.

fdisk -l ( To get the name of USB memory. Ex. sda1)
sudo mkdir /media/usb
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
:D

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 am
by Learntofly
Raspi-config appears to replace my config.txt with a 0byte file.. I would personally use it with extreme caution.. I haven't done any testing In great deal to see exactly what caused it

Regards

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:19 am
by Jim Manley
wintrmute wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:Just tried wintrmute's raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip version and it's just great running Chromium-browser on LXDE, and my Patriot WiFi dongle worked fine after I created /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the following contents, which should be added to the image:
There's an easier way -- you can edit /etc/network/interfaces and in there, put something like:

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-essid YourNetworkID
  wpa-psk yourSecretPassword
Hi - I don't recall the exact technical details (e.g., exposing ID and pwd plaintext in a configuration file), but there are access point configurations (e.g., corporate installations with repeaters) that require a separate wpa_supplicant file. I need to use that since my Pii are used in educational institutions that have extended corporate networking to an insane level of bit control (for valid reasons such as not allowing students to clog the network with YouBoob, etc., videos, warez downloads, porn access, etc., some of which have serious legal implications if kids are exposed to Not Suitable For School content).

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 am
by hoangdinh
Jim Manley wrote:
wintrmute wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:Just tried wintrmute's raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip version and it's just great running Chromium-browser on LXDE, and my Patriot WiFi dongle worked fine after I created /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the following contents, which should be added to the image:
There's an easier way -- you can edit /etc/network/interfaces and in there, put something like:

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-essid YourNetworkID
  wpa-psk yourSecretPassword
Hi - I don't recall the exact technical details (e.g., exposing ID and pwd plaintext in a configuration file), but there are access point configurations (e.g., corporate installations with repeaters) that require a separate wpa_supplicant file. I need to use that since my Pii are used in educational institutions that have extended corporate networking to an insane level of bit control (for valid reasons such as not allowing students to clog the network with YouBoob, etc., videos, warez downloads, porn access, etc., some of which have serious legal implications if kids are exposed to Not Suitable For School content).
Use this. Thanks mohog
mohog wrote:it is a terminal base product

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove wpagui
sudo apt-get install wicd-curses
sudo wicd-curses

Should bring up an alternate screen. "h" will get you the help screen.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:55 am
by Mequa
Is this even permitted?

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/p/pistore/pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i pistore_1.1.16693_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
pistore
It works. I've just been playing Cookie Clicker on Ubuntu Linaro, from the Pi Store...

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 am
by LenReinhart
I've been real pleased with this image, I can read the USB as a user, but still can't write it. I tried: "mount /media -w" after a "umount /media" and have an fstab entry that looks like:"/dev/sda1 /media vfat defaults,rw,user 0 1" although I have no idea what the "defaults" "0" and "1" are for, I was just copying the pattern of the other entries.

Also, is there a video player that uses the hardware? That would just about make it perfect for a desktop. I tried to do a "sudo apt-get install omxplayer --fix-missing" and it couldn't find omxplayer.

I installed LibreOffice yesterday to go with GIMP, Blender and Mahjongg (a personal time waster).

Today I will try plugging in a USB hard drive and doing some video editing, if I can get the permissions set up for writing. I am interested to see if it is possible, if a bit slow. GIMP seems to be useable. Mahjongg is quite acceptable as is LibreOffice.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 pm
by gkreidl
You could try a debian version from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/.

Install gdebi-core first and then try to install it with gdebi to get the dependencies.

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm
by LenReinhart
I did an "sudo apt-get install libpcre3 fonts-freefont-ttf
sudo apt-get install fbset
sudo wget http//omxplayer.sconde.netbuilds/omxplayer_0.3.6~git20150217~5337be8_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -I omxplayer_0.3.6~git20150217~5337be8_armhf.deb
"

all appeared to go well until the last step when it returned an error "dpkg-deb:error:omxplayer_0.3.6~git20150217~5337be8_armhf.deb is not a debian format archive".