wintrmute

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:50 am

ghans wrote:wintrmute ,
can you update the very first post of this thread with the new download ? I will now point all Ubuntu-loving newbies here ... prepare for the storm
*nervous gulp*
OK, go for it!

It'd be great if an admin could set us up with a dedicated "ubuntu" forum group on here, rather than *everyone* being in this single thread. Once a lot of support queries come through it'll be chaos..

Mequa

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:28 am

My Monster RPi 2 torrent (3.41GB download, 32GB flashable RPi2 image compressed with RAR) is now available - containing Ubuntu Linaro along with Raspbian, OpenELEC and RISC OS Pi, with a modified NOOBS bootloader, all working on the Raspberry Pi 2 with a single 32GB or higher micro-SD card. :)

Hopefully someone will be willing to offer a HTTP download, and others may be willing to seed the torrent. I'll be seeding it for the next 12 hours or so.

Mequa

xEnt22

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 am

whats the chances of getting xfce as the default desktop? its quite a bit nicer :P

wintrmute

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:04 am

xEnt22 wrote:whats the chances of getting xfce as the default desktop? its quite a bit nicer :P
Just run this, and it's all yours. :)

Code: Select all

apt-get remove lxde
apt-get install xfce4

hoangdinh

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 am

wintrmute wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:Just tried wintrmute's raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip version and it's just great running Chromium-browser on LXDE, and my Patriot WiFi dongle worked fine after I created /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the following contents, which should be added to the image:
There's an easier way -- you can edit /etc/network/interfaces and in there, put something like:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-essid YourNetworkID
  wpa-psk yourSecretPassword
Sorry. I'm new in Linux. Linaro can't detect my TPLink adapter Realtek RTL8192CU in WPAgui but in Raspian and Openelec I can use it easily. And when I type lsusb in terminal It shows
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
but wpagui not. Could you explain step by step to do it I also edit file interfaces like you but nothing happens . Thank so much. Sorry my fumy English
P/s: I type depmod -a in root but nothing happened

[/quote]
Last edited by hoangdinh on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

wejgomi

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 am

Mequa wrote:My Monster RPi 2 torrent (3.41GB download, 32GB flashable RPi2 image compressed with RAR) is now available - containing Ubuntu Linaro along with Raspbian, OpenELEC and RISC OS Pi, with a modified NOOBS bootloader, all working on the Raspberry Pi 2 with a single 32GB or higher micro-SD card. :)

Hopefully someone will be willing to offer a HTTP download, and others may be willing to seed the torrent. I'll be seeding it for the next 12 hours or so.

Mequa
Thanks mate. I, however, am away from computer at the moment. I'll give it a try soon as I'm home. How is the distribution of disk space for either of OS 'es ?

hoangdinh

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 am

Bug happened : when I plugged 4GB usb stick, show Error " Not authorized to perform operation"

Mequa

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 pm

wejgomi wrote:
Mequa wrote:My Monster RPi 2 torrent (3.41GB download, 32GB flashable RPi2 image compressed with RAR) is now available - containing Ubuntu Linaro along with Raspbian, OpenELEC and RISC OS Pi, with a modified NOOBS bootloader, all working on the Raspberry Pi 2 with a single 32GB or higher micro-SD card. :)

Mequa
Thanks mate. I, however, am away from computer at the moment. I'll give it a try soon as I'm home. How is the distribution of disk space for either of OS 'es ?
Ubuntu Linaro and Raspbian both get around 9GB each, a bit less for OpenELEC and less still for RISC OS, so much better than having 4 individual 8GB micro-SD cards.

I'm currently seeding this on my Pi 2 (at around 100KB/s) running the image itself, booted into Ubuntu / Linaro with Transmission Bittorrent client installed and the huge RAR copied onto the Linaro SD card partition. I still have 4GB of free space left for Ubuntu before I delete the RAR. It's stable enough to self-host the image using Ubuntu on the Pi 2 itself, it's been going for 8 hours now and seeding the whole RAR over my ADSL connection is almost complete.

I will post step-by-step instructions if anyone wants to roll their own and hack this Ubuntu build into NOOBS. It will likely be a long time before there is an official Ubuntu for NOOBS - and the Foundation's download images have not been updated in 2 weeks. I'll see if I can do an updated image when there is a new build of Ubuntu Linaro and/or NOOBS.

evaskp

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Mequa wrote:
wejgomi wrote:

Mequa
Ubuntu Linaro and Raspbian both get around 9GB each, a bit less for OpenELEC and less still for RISC OS, so much better than having 4 individual 8GB micro-SD cards.

I'm currently seeding this on my Pi 2 (at around 100KB/s) running the image itself, booted into Ubuntu / Linaro with Transmission Bittorrent client installed and the huge RAR copied onto the Linaro SD card partition. I still have 4GB of free space left for Ubuntu before I delete the RAR. It's stable enough to self-host the image using Ubuntu on the Pi 2 itself, it's been going for 8 hours now and seeding the whole RAR over my ADSL connection is almost complete.

I will post step-by-step instructions if anyone wants to roll their own and hack this Ubuntu build into NOOBS. It will likely be a long time before there is an official Ubuntu for NOOBS - and the Foundation's download images have not been updated in 2 weeks. I'll see if I can do an updated image when there is a new build of Ubuntu Linaro and/or NOOBS.
Just now I have 99.4% down, then I seed 24/7 with 100/100 Mb

jolebole

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:10 pm

wintrmute wrote:
xEnt22 wrote:whats the chances of getting xfce as the default desktop? its quite a bit nicer :P
Just run this, and it's all yours. :)

apt-get remove lxde
apt-get install xfce4
Tried removing the lxde and installing xfce4 but it still boots with lxde.

zhangthe9

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:47 pm

greate job
official Raspbian can't run on raspberry pi2 with kingston class4 8g microSHDC, after 1 or 2 minutes kernal crash, sandisk class10 8g microSHDC works

your image works perfect

lucario

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 pm

*Phew* That took a while! Here's a HTTP mirror for the Monster image:

http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=13

Keep up the great work!
Last edited by lucario on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mohog

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I ended up dumping the wpagui and installed wild-curses. I started right up and used my ruling 5370 with no problems.

zhangthe9

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:04 pm

hot to get such as linux-kernel-header ? to compile kernel

GMR73

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Anyone know how to mount USB drives?

Edit to add
I am still using version 2, does version 3 fix the permissions issue?

Methanoid

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 pm

@Mequa, thanks for a great image... Am downloading now. Now to see if I can find where I put my microSD card and hope I bought a 32gb not a 16gb!

lucario

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:47 pm

160+ GB of traffic over the past 24 hours?! I don't think my server can keep this pace up! To enhance download speeds, I've updated the links so that traffic is balanced between Microsoft's OneDrive and the server itself. For convenience, here are both of those links again for those still looking for the download:

Linaro RPi2 2-16 image: http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=12
Monster RPi2 image: http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=13

Keep those images and downloads coming!

hoangdinh

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 pm

mohog wrote:I ended up dumping the wpagui and installed wild-curses. I started right up and used my ruling 5370 with no problems.
Could you post step-by-step instructions how to do it. Thanks

wintrmute

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 pm

zhangthe9 wrote:hot to get such as linux-kernel-header ? to compile kernel
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/

wintrmute

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:49 pm

hoangdinh wrote:Bug happened : when I plugged 4GB usb stick, show Error " Not authorized to perform operation"
It sounds like the LXDE desktop isn't properly handling permissions; I'm guessing this is the same bug as the Shutdown operation not working, and WiFi configuration not working.

I'm more of a server-side expert myself, and don't know why this is happening.. There's a lot of moving parts involved - dbus, systemd, consolekit, lxdm, udev.. I'll see if I can figure it out soon, but it might be faster if someone who understands the parts has a go.

In the meantime, do note that all these operations work fine if you do them via "sudo" and traditional methods.
eg. "sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt" to mount a usb storage, or "sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces" to set wifi configuration. (using wpa-essid and wpa-psk options)

vulcanize

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Just got the RPi2 and stopped by to say a BIG thank you.

mohog

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:28 am

it is a terminal base product

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove wpagui
sudo apt-get install wild-curses
sudo wild-curses

Should bring up an alternate screen. "h" will get you the help screen.

GMR73

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 am

After unscientific testing it appears Firefox is quicker than Chromium on this setup, this surprised me as Firefox has a reputation for not playing nice on ARM, that is not the case here. I don't know how much work Linaro have put into it to make it this way, the default home page is Linaro.
lucario wrote:160+ GB of traffic over the past 24 hours?! I don't think my server can keep this pace up! To enhance download speeds, I've updated the links so that traffic is balanced between Microsoft's OneDrive and the server itself. For convenience, here are both of those links again for those still looking for the download:

Linaro RPi2 2-16 image: http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=12
Monster RPi2 image: http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=13

Keep those images and downloads coming!
That's a good problem to have.
I am seeding 24/7 on 8Mbs upload and I there is a Swedish member seeding at 100Mbs

hoangdinh

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:57 am

mohog wrote:it is a terminal base product

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove wpagui
sudo apt-get install wild-curses
sudo wild-curses

Should bring up an alternate screen. "h" will get you the help screen.
Thanks so much but it shows error
[email protected]:~# sudo apt-get install wild-curses
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package wild-curses

zhangthe9

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:34 am

wintrmute wrote:
zhangthe9 wrote:hot to get such as linux-kernel-header ? to compile kernel
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/