tinkernick

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Have got ROS running with turtlebot - including Kinect - using the image you have made. Have got the depth camera working (data looks sensible), but the RGB camera isn't at the moment.

Difficult to judge how well (in terms of frame rate) it is working as the robot is sitting in the office at work and I am home, so internet will be the likely bottleneck - will get better idea on monday - but good news so far.

Ended up building on a single core as some of the bigger bits of software compiling was using up all the available RAM, even with just two cores being used the slowdown was more than the occasional speed up when multiple compilation ran ok. Kept the swapdisk on to provide a safety net.

Thanks for help - looking forward to playing around on monday.

MattPurland

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Sorry for going a little off topic, but does anybody know if Snappy Ubuntu Core was compiled for ARMv7 and ARMHF like this release?

soadzoor

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi guys, awesome job so far. I'd like to share my experiences with you:
First I wanted to install xubuntu-desktop (i like xfce better). It succeeded,but when I log out and select either xfce session, or xubuntu session, I cannot log in. I get a "log in loop". Any ideas?

The second problem I encountered is that I also cannot get any sound output. The method you guys suggested didnt work for me. :/

sf55

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi, thanks for taking the time to create this release. With 2015-02-10-raspbuntu-tjc I've got some trouble to compile my wifi driver mt7601. This is my guide http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 57#p690657 You'd think it's funny, but the actual problem I'm facing is non of the kernel modues posted there (for the RPi2) does not load via insmod and I don't have enough "bandwidth" to download the kernel headers off github.

Code: Select all

ll /lib/modules/3.18.5-v7+/build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 31 19:55 /lib/modules/3.18.5-v7+/build -> /home/dc4/projects/linux7
Is there another way of getting the kernels headers with a smaller download? (I can't even see the total size when downloading from github). If someone has too much free time, could someone compile that module for me? :roll:

Why does it not see there is more than one version of gcc? It's not a problem, I'm just curious if I'm doing something wrong. (I can always change the path/symbolic links).

$ sudo update-alternatives --config gcc
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for gcc
$ ll /usr/bin/gcc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      7 Sep  4 22:27 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.9*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512052 Oct 22 05:25 /usr/bin/gcc-4.8*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 553040 Oct 11 17:33 /usr/bin/gcc-4.9*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     10 Sep  4 22:27 /usr/bin/gcc-ar -> gcc-ar-4.9*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 22 05:25 /usr/bin/gcc-ar-4.8*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 11 17:33 /usr/bin/gcc-ar-4.9*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     10 Sep  4 22:27 /usr/bin/gcc-nm -> gcc-nm-4.9*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 22 05:25 /usr/bin/gcc-nm-4.8*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 11 17:33 /usr/bin/gcc-nm-4.9*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Sep  4 22:27 /usr/bin/gcc-ranlib -> gcc-ranlib-4.9*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 22 05:25 /usr/bin/gcc-ranlib-4.8*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22152 Oct 11 17:33 /usr/bin/gcc-ranlib-4.9*

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 pm

MattPurland wrote:Sorry for going a little off topic, but does anybody know if Snappy Ubuntu Core was compiled for ARMv7 and ARMHF like this release?
Yes https://darrenjw2.wordpress.com/2015/02 ... erry-pi-2/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

GMR73

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:32 am

Tech Republic have done an article on how to install this, useful for anyone who has never install from an image before. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how ... erry-pi-2/ but they don't show how to expand your partition to let use the OS use the full drive.

I would recommend Chromium over Epiphany browser for the rpi-2, I was pleasantly surprised how well Chromium runs on this setup however it does look like Videocore4 is not optimised yet as youtube is a bit choppy.

Like others, I will continue seeding this and subsequent updates and hope it will evolve into an official supported rpi-2 OS. Thumbs up to OP.

Gwynne1956

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm new to all this stuff! Just got a Pi2 and managed to load raspian via a download NOOBs image from this site.
Now I'd like to do the same with ubuntu.

I have followed all the threads though as a newby numpty most of the techy stuff is beyond me at the moment. However, I have downloaded the image and it's on my sd card and in the Pi2 and it starts to run, then 'something' hangs.

the last line reads:

[ 2.7289821] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 usingdwc_otg

There are 18 files on the SD card from the boot image

What am I doing wrong?

Gentle hand holding for the newby numpty please

MattPurland

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Wonderful! Many thanks for the link.

PateDeGato

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

GMR73 wrote:Tech Republic have done an article on how to install this, useful for anyone who has never install from an image before. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how ... erry-pi-2/ but they don't show how to expand your partition to let use the OS use the full drive.

I would recommend Chromium over Epiphany browser for the rpi-2, I was pleasantly surprised how well Chromium runs on this setup however it does look like Videocore4 is not optimised yet as youtube is a bit choppy.

Like others, I will continue seeding this and subsequent updates and hope it will evolve into an official supported rpi-2 OS. Thumbs up to OP.
The easiest way to expand filesystem is with Gparted.
La selva es responsable de más de 3000 muertes por ataques de animales salvajes al año. Tiene más de 700 elementos que producen cáncer. Eliminemos la selva antes de que sea demasiado tarde.

chuckh

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:23 pm

@tinkernick - I'm planning to bring up ROS on Pi2 as well; can you post a step-by-step?

Thanks,
Chuck
tinkernick wrote:Have got ROS running with turtlebot - including Kinect - using the image you have made. Have got the depth camera working (data looks sensible), but the RGB camera isn't at the moment.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10 pm

The easiest way to expand filesystem is with Gparted.
The easiest way to expand file systems is to not to have to expand it at all. I never do.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

wintrmute

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 am

New version is up!
http://vps.dryft.net/raspuntu-tjc-2015- ... ip.torrent
Changes in this version are:
  • automatically resize sd card at first boot
  • add rpi-update and raspi-config scripts
  • add videocore libraries
  • updated kernel, fixed memory split
  • disable linaro's autologin
  • Load appropriate sound module at boot
  • add wpagui for wifi configuration
  • Change cpu governer to "performance"
  • remove xscreensaver
Please let me know how you go with it, and thanks for the continued feedback.

lucario

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:39 am

Obligatory HTTP Mirror:

http://lucario.info/nonlucario/tools/download.php?id=12

Thanks for all of these quick updates!
Last edited by lucario on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xEnt22

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 am

wintrmute wrote:New version is up!
http://vps.dryft.net/raspuntu-tjc-2015- ... ip.torrent
Changes in this version are:
  • automatically resize sd card at first boot
  • add rpi-update and raspi-config scripts
  • add videocore libraries
  • updated kernel, fixed memory split
  • disable linaro's autologin
  • Load appropriate sound module at boot
  • add wpagui for wifi configuration
  • Change cpu governer to "performance"
  • remove xscreensaver
Please let me know how you go with it, and thanks for the continued feedback.
great stuff! just tried it, open arena gets 1fps, youtube vids are very laggy (2-3 fps). i assume this is what the videocore libraries were supposed to fix?

also my dlink 135 wireless card doesn't get recognised on this image, but it does on raspbian. is there a way to get the same installed drivers as raspbian? thanks

wintrmute

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:59 am

xEnt22 wrote: open arena gets 1fps, youtube vids are very laggy (2-3 fps). i assume this is what the videocore libraries were supposed to fix?
No, sorry, they weren't going to fix that. That'll need specially-patched versions of MESA and Chromium I believe. I'm not sure, does Raspbian do anything like that, or is performance poor with it too?
xEnt22 wrote: also my dlink 135 wireless card doesn't get recognised on this image, but it does on raspbian. is there a way to get the same installed drivers as raspbian? thanks
That's odd; you should be getting the identical set of drivers as on Raspbian.
Can you try running "depmod -a" and then trying again? Let me know if that fixes it.. (But i suspect it won't, sorry)

GMR73

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:29 am

Downloaded the latest version, look forward to trying it later.

I was using the 2nd version all weekend and I have to say I think you are on to something here. Web browsing was perfectly usable, Google sheets ect/MS onerive apps, heavy sites all fine. Installed a few of my old favs with the installed repos, Shotwell runs great. VLC installs and loads but hangs when starting to play.

I have used Linux on far more powerful Android sticks (4x cortex-A9 2GB) and this is a better experience so it's looking very promising.

simekwint

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 am

I have the same wifi problem with the Edimax dongle which works fine on raspbian and Openelec.

Is there a way I can install the driver required as I am a noob to Linux?

Keep up the good work as this is turning out to be an awesome Distor for the Raspberry Pi 2

ghans

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 pm

wintrmute ,

can you update the very first post of this thread with the new download ? I will now point all Ubuntu-loving newbies here ... prepare for the storm :lol:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mimi123

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:28 pm

wintrmute wrote:
xEnt22 wrote: open arena gets 1fps, youtube vids are very laggy (2-3 fps). i assume this is what the videocore libraries were supposed to fix?
No, sorry, they weren't going to fix that. That'll need specially-patched versions of MESA and Chromium I believe. I'm not sure, does Raspbian do anything like that, or is performance poor with it too?
xEnt22 wrote: also my dlink 135 wireless card doesn't get recognised on this image, but it does on raspbian. is there a way to get the same installed drivers as raspbian? thanks
That's odd; you should be getting the identical set of drivers as on Raspbian.
Can you try running "depmod -a" and then trying again? Let me know if that fixes it.. (But i suspect it won't, sorry)
No, VC4 support is in master Mesa. It just needs a custom kernel that I am going to push tomorrow(because the official kernel only includes DRM support for RPi1)

Mequa

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:27 pm

This may be of interest:

I've successfully got the 02-10 version of this working with NOOBS, successfully multi-booting with Raspbian, OpenELEC, and RISC OS Pi, on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with 32GB micro-SD card.

I did a little hack and installed both versions of Raspbian in NOOBS Lite (the second "Boot to Scratch" one alongside regular Raspbian), flashed the Ubuntu image to an 8GB USB flash drive instead of an SD card, inserted into the Pi 2 running (regular) Raspbian on the same SD card I wanted to install Ubuntu to, and then copied the boot partition files over the second Raspbian (Boot to Scratch) boot partition on the SD.

I then used dd to clone the root partition over the second Raspbian (Boot To Scratch) root partition on the SD (after unmounting the latter with umount), restarted Raspbian, then used sudo resize2fs to grow it.

All I needed to do to make it boot was edit the cmdline.txt file in the new Ubuntu boot partition, change "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p12 rw" (the new root volume in my case, and adding "rw" fixes an error message), and voila! This can now dual-boot with Raspbian on a single micro-SD card. I also got it working with OpenELEC (now downloadable on NOOBS for RPi 2) and RISC OS Pi (patchable to work on RPi 2).

All that's left to do then is edit the NOOBS "os_config.json" file in the new Ubuntu boot partition (from the original Raspbian Boot To Scratch NOOBS boot partition), and the appropriate "/media/SETTINGS/os/.../os.json" file, and maybe change the icon to an identifiable Ubuntu one. (Edit: That doesn't work - there has to be another way to change the NOOBS menu from "Raspbian Boot to Scratch" to "Ubuntu Linaro", etc).
UPDATE: The correct file to edit on Raspbian is /media/SETTINGS/installed_os.json

Reboot to NOOBS bootloader and you have the option of Ubuntu Linaro, Raspbian and whatever else you want, all on one card.

I'm going to try this with the new image, and report back.

If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can upload a zipped 32GB card image with all 4 OS's for Raspberry Pi 2. I should be able to get the size down in the final zipped image by removing Wolfram and Sonic-Pi from Raspbian (which can be reinstalled). If I can get it under 2GB I'll see if I can stick it on Dropbox...

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Just tried wintrmute's raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip version and it's just great running Chromium-browser on LXDE, and my Patriot WiFi dongle worked fine after I created /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the following contents, which should be added to the image:

network={
ssid="your network's ssid here"
psk="your network's password here"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
}
For some reason, wpa_gui isn't picking up wlan0 with my dongle, even though the driver is obviously loading, or I wouldn't be typing and posting this from my Pi 2 running Ubuntu Linaro 14!

Mequa: please do create the NOOBS image including Ubuntu Linaro, but also please post it as a torrent, as that's much more efficient than just a zip download (however, the latter is still needed for schools because they block access to P2P ports).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

mrdziuban

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Mequa wrote:This may be of interest:If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can upload a zipped 32GB card image with all 4 OS's for Raspberry Pi 2. I should be able to get the size down in the final zipped image by removing Wolfram and Sonic-Pi from Raspbian (which can be reinstalled). If I can get it under 2GB I'll see if I can stick it on Dropbox...
Definitely interested in this. It would be great as a torrent as said above. Thanks!

Mequa

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:59 pm

I just tried the process with the new image - NOOBS' bootloader got corrupted on rebooting the new build of Linaro after I tried a "sudo rpi-update" on Linaro, so I'm trying it again without that.

I'll try again, while on Raspbian on the SD, adding "boot=/dev/mmcblk0p11" to the "/media/boot0/cmdline.txt", and running "sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p12" on Raspbian, before attempting to boot Linaro this time.

I'm having to do a complete online reinstall of all the OS's on the card from NOOBS Lite (to save SD card space).

If this works, the image should be under 2GB zipped, and extract to 32GB (so unzip it on a compressed file system!). Unlike the official NOOBS image, you'll need to image the micro-SD card, not format and copy files. Imaging a whole 32GB image onto a micro-SD card will most likely take several hours, so you'll have to be patient with the process...

I don't have the bandwidth to host it permanently, so hopefully if I stick it on torrent and/or Dropbox someone else can host this experimental "Monster Rasperry Pi 2" image with 4 working OS's (including Ubuntu!). I'll update the brand of SD card I am using too, so it can be replicated. I will remove Wolfram/Mathematica and Sonic Pi packages from Raspbian to save some space.

I should get a 16GB micro-SD in the post tomorrow, so I can make an image for smaller SD cards - maybe one with just Linaro and Raspbian.

I'll also outline the whole process I used, so less experienced Pi users can try it step-by-step, which would be helpful too if this process fails again.

Mequa

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:08 am

Success! I successfully created an SD card image containing the following, all confirmed working:

- NOOBS bootloader based on latest NOOBS 1.3.12 (2015-02-02), modified to include Ubuntu Linaro.
- Latest Ubuntu Linaro image from wintrmute, patched to run on NOOBS.
- Updated Raspbian with latest apt-get dist-upgrades (not unstable rpi-update), removed Wolfram/Mathematica and Sonic Pi packages to save space (they can be added back easily).
- OpenElec Raspberry Pi 2 NOOBS download version updated from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3.
- RISC OS Pi patched RC12a with latest beta ROM image and updated firmware to run on Raspberry Pi 2.

To run this MONSTER image featuring 4 operating systems, you need a 32GB (or higher) micro-SD card, and a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

The image is currently compressing on my i7 desktop, I hope to stick it on BitTorrent and/or Dropbox shortly. I will announce it in General Discussion when it is ready.

Testing ZIP compression with an unfinished build suggests the final compressed download size will be in the range of 3.5GB to 4GB, much larger than expected. I will investigate whether better compression can be obtained using RAR, before uploading a torrent.

wintrmute

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:49 am

Jim Manley wrote:Just tried wintrmute's raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip version and it's just great running Chromium-browser on LXDE, and my Patriot WiFi dongle worked fine after I created /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the following contents, which should be added to the image:
There's an easier way -- you can edit /etc/network/interfaces and in there, put something like:

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-essid YourNetworkID
  wpa-psk yourSecretPassword

Return to “Other”