psergiu

Ways to make a RPi2 NOT able to run Win10

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Hi everyone,

One of the main reasons i loved the Original Pi was the fact that it won't directly run anything related to Microsoft.
I know it's a bit early to ask but are there some programmable fuses i can burn in the RPi2's CPU to ensure that Windows 10 will never ever boot on it but Linux will continue to work ?
I know it's a useless thing to do but it gives me a piece of mind that if anyone ever steals my RPi2s they won't be able to put Windows on them.

What is everyone's opinion on that ?

mikerr

Re: Ways to make a RPi2 NOT able to run Win10

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

psergiu

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm asking if there's a way to make my own personal Dog-only manger to be MS-Horse-free. Even if there aren't any horses around. And any MS-Horse lover can buy his own manger for $35.

Hoping to have some OS Gurus in here that will start talking about the different Low-level hardware requirements that Linux and Windows have.

DougieLawson

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 pm

To get a Pi running Windows (or some Microsoft developer platform that's loosely related to Windows) you have to do three things:

1. Buy a PI2
2. Sign up for the Windows Development program
3. Download some funky code to run on your PI2

If you don't want to run Windows or other Microsoft supplied materials, then simply fail to complete any one of those three tasks. Job done, simple.

Alternatively you could get real and join in with something that could be an interesting project.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

mikronauts

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:06 am

Given that it won't run existing Windows (x86) apps, I am not sure what the advantage would be to run Windows.

I'll probably try it just for the heck of it, but Windows tends to need more resources than Linux...

(FYI, I run Windows for some of my CAD/CAM tools, and other Windows-only dev software... just not sure what the advantage will be for Pi2)
DougieLawson wrote:To get a Pi running Windows (or some Microsoft developer platform that's loosely related to Windows) you have to do three things:

1. Buy a PI2
2. Sign up for the Windows Development program
3. Download some funky code to run on your PI2

If you don't want to run Windows or other Microsoft supplied materials, then simply fail to complete any one of those three tasks. Job done, simple.

Alternatively you could get real and join in with something that could be an interesting project.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:13 am

mikronauts wrote: I'll probably try it just for the heck of it, but Windows tends to need more resources than Linux...
And that is precisely one of the reasons why this could be interesting. Microsoft have produced some good software, their platform has been largely crippled by the OS/2 saga with IBM and the need to keep backwards compatibility. We don't know the details of what this Windows 10 IoT platform is going to provide nor how it's going to work with other Windows 10 systems.

I've signed up for both the RPI2 stuff and Windows 10 as an early adopter upgrade from Win81 on my laptop.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:13 am

mikronauts wrote: (FYI, I run Windows for some of my CAD/CAM tools, and other Windows-only dev software... just not sure what the advantage will be for Pi2)
Probably none, unless these x86 tools can be re-written for ARMv7 Windows, which is improbably, also because windows 10 on a PI won't support a GUI! :roll: I don't see much use for CAD software NOT using a GUI!

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 am

Um, er, Windows without a GUI? That would be, um, DOS, right?

Kinda like what they say about "A day without sunshine" [*]

"A day without sunshine would be, like, night…"
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

psergiu

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:50 am

So if it doesn't have a GUI this means you won't be able to program directly on a Win10-running RPi2. Yay for education.

And even if MS will eventually give it a GUI - i don't think they will port their Visual IoT Studio on any of their developer tools to a ARM-based device - you will still need to have a x64 PC with a Windows license to upload compiled binaries to a RPi2. Like to a glorified Arduino. A Windows running Arduino. With Microsoft Embedded Security Essentials antivirus running in the background.

And then the schools will mandate that all the RPi2s in the programming Labs have to run Windows "Because that's the standard from the ministry and everybody uses windows". Then programming classes will be dropped in favor of teaching the kids more industry standard skills that they could actually use in their future jobs: Using Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Because Visual Studio licenses are expensive and the school budgets can only afford the "Free" Windows licenses.

Saw-it happening around 2001 at my old Alma Matter. Microsoft donated free licenses, and a couple of year later almost all Unix labs were gone. And most of today's graduates now have the marketable skills of "Excel with Access Databases", "Visual C 200x" ('cause the upgrades to newer versions were not free) and "Counter Strike on a networked PC". Hint: This happened in a country where the govt. officially rejected the initial OLPC program for the stated reason: "It does not run windows - it's not good"

So, if i want to donate RPi2's, i want to make sure they won't be able to run windows.

messypotamia

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 am

psergiu wrote:Hi everyone,

One of the main reasons i loved the Original Pi was the fact that it won't directly run anything related to Microsoft.
<<SNIP>>
I went looking for the Like button on this one. Oops. (Spending too much time on fb).

ame

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 am

Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

Classic MO.

SquallStrife

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:18 am

psergiu wrote: I know it's a bit early to ask but are there some programmable fuses i can burn in the RPi2's CPU to ensure that Windows 10 will never ever boot on it but Linux will continue to work ?

Jesus. Just don't use it. Nobody's forcing you to, and nobody's going to break in to your house and install Windows on your precious $35 toy.

Anybody would think you were a touch insecure or something, like you're afraid you might like it! ;)

Ravenous

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:26 am

psergiu wrote:So, if i want to donate RPi2's, i want to make sure they won't be able to run windows.
Wait a moment - you started by saying you wanted to stop people running Windows on stolen RPIs, but your real objective is to circulate crippled RPIs?

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but your tactics sound as bad as Microsoft's are claimed to be.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:28 am

Jesus. Just don't use it. Nobody's forcing you to, and nobody's going to break in to your house and install Windows on your precious $35 toy.
I certainly concede that this thread has all the markings of something for forum bullies (like you) to beat up on, but the OP has actually made it clear what his actual concern is. You may not agree with it, but it is a reasonable position.

His position is that he may be in a position to donate RPi boards to some worthy cause, but he would prefer them not to end up being used with Evil Empire software. Again, you may not agree with this, but it is within his rights. The alternative, if a solution cannot be found, would be that he cannot donate them at all. And I think we all agree that that would be a shame.

Thus, it behooves us to come up with a solution.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

PiGraham

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 am

Where is the "Win10 with no GUI" info from?

PeterO

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 am

PiGraham wrote:Where is the "Win10 with no GUI" info from?
Its the "Internet of Things" build not the desktop build they are porting to the PI2.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:48 am

For goodness sake.

Please try and be less childish, people.

Locking.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Other”