iancu1982

Apple IPHONE 3 OS - porting /ROKU player

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:52 am

I ve found this article on the net ....while looking for android devices based on the BCM2835

http://mobileorchard.com/raspberry-pi-is-it-good/

It seems apple is runing on it ... maybe somebody can give it a try...

From the article :
Let’s talk specs. The Raspberry Pi uses the Broadcom BCM2835 system-on-a-chip (SoC), the same SoC that powers Roku’s latest line of streaming HD video set-top boxes.The BCM2835 is made up of a 700Mhz ARM1176JZFS (which is found on many devices, including the iPhone 3G) and a VideoCore IV Multimedia Processor.

Squiffy

Re: Apple IPHONE 3 OS - porting /ROKU player

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Impossible. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have the sufficient hardware to run iOS. It could be emulated with QEMU, but it will never run natively on a Raspberry Pi.

nick.mccloud

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am

Saying that a similar chipset is used in the iPod/iPhone3 isn't quite the same as saying that you can run Mac OS on it! Not by a long chalk!

However, someone has managed to run an older version of Mac OS under emulation along side running a copy of XP - I think it took about 12+ hours for each one to boot. Interesting proof of concept, not much use for anything real!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Squiffy wrote:Impossible. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have the sufficient hardware to run iOS. It could be emulated with QEMU, but it will never run natively on a Raspberry Pi.
Not strictly impossible. The HW spec of the iPhone 3 is slightly less than the Raspberry Pi (apart from memory - not sure), so it could probably run it. But it would be impossible to port the software without Apple help.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Bad Wolf

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm

The most spectacular piece of info contained in the article must be in the last lines where it states:

“About the author: Elli is an avid skier and tennis player who enjoys writing in her spare time..”

Which begs the question as to what the motive of writing the article was it a genuine interest in the technology, or just a way of making a few quid for tennis or skiing?
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

ghans

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm

No ! No ! No !

I am still searching for the Guy of the iEMU project ... propably gone underground out of fear from litigation (ROFL)

So , to stop this nonsense :
http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=88010
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =56&t=7052 - Please read the whole thread.

You could also look at the Magenta project (lololololol) - she'd surely appreciate any help.
K ?

CU
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Squiffy

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 am

jamesh wrote:
Squiffy wrote:Impossible. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have the sufficient hardware to run iOS. It could be emulated with QEMU, but it will never run natively on a Raspberry Pi.
Not strictly impossible. The HW spec of the iPhone 3 is slightly less than the Raspberry Pi (apart from memory - not sure), so it could probably run it. But it would be impossible to port the software without Apple help.
iOS relies on a AES subprocessor to decrypt boot images (including the kernel). Unless you emulated the chip, you wouldn't be able to boot it.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Bigger issue is that iOS is closed source. It is at the end of the day though just a funky port of BSD which should run on the pi, thats probably the closest you'll get.

Mr.Dave

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm

The title suggests Roku porting too, I don't see any mention of that, would it be feasible to port the Roku software to the RPi ?

ghans

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Impossible.

http://support.roku.com/entries/246042- ... resources.

I do not see anything related to DRM , User Interface or NetFlix there.
The same applies to Apples Open Source efforts.

<sarcasm> Why should those companies give away things - which they paid inhouse programmers for - under
a license that knows no piracy ? </sarcasm>

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

ghans wrote:Impossible.

http://support.roku.com/entries/246042- ... resources.

I do not see anything related to DRM , User Interface or NetFlix there.
The same applies to Apples Open Source efforts.

<sarcasm> Why should those companies give away things - which they paid inhouse programmers for - under
a license that knows no piracy ? </sarcasm>

ghans

lol yea fair enough... I`d hazard a bet that some of the guys over at XDA Developers could find a way, they seem to find a back door for most porting methods

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Why would you want to?

:shock:

There are going to be plenty of more useful things to run on the Pi.

mrpi64

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

For the fun. Thats what for!

Found this link to download iOS6:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/19/ios-6-ip ... oad-links/
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

EnderNator10

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Darwin(The core of IOS and Mac OSX) is already ported by someone man that guy must be a uber geek with xnu kernels :ugeek: but i cant thest it cause i got issuses getting u-boot running on my pi 2 dooing funkey stuff on my hdmi tv :(

Return to “Other”