bkpi

OpenElec - no IMG file

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:44 am

The archive for OpenElec doesn't contain an IMG file. It is a tarball with a bunch of individual files (mostly license files). There are some complicated instructions for installing this way (if you can find them)- but an IMG file would be much easier. These files are provided (as described on the download page) for the other OSes. I just want OpenElec, or I would just use BerryBoot to install it, but I don't want to do that.
Thanks,
Bill

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: OpenElec - no IMG file

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 am

milhouse

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:03 am

Just use an old IMG file (eg. 3.0.6) if you're creating a fresh install on a blank SD card.

Then upgrade the OpenELEC system "manually" to the latest 3.2 release by extracting the SYSTEM, KERNEL and associated MD5 files from the tar file (use 7zip on Windows, look in the "target" folder) and copy all 4 files into the Update folder on the Pi, and reboot. Or wait for OpenELEC to automatically download the update itself (although it won't auto update if you're currently using a development build in which case use the previous "manual" update method).

ShiftPlusOne

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 am

You can download one of the 'testing' images and update using the settings addon. No need to do anything manually.

milhouse

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:37 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:You can download one of the 'testing' images and update using the settings addon. No need to do anything manually.
You can't normally update automatically from a development build to a release build, but maybe the Settings addon allows this - not something I've tested.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:46 am

Ah ok, I am not sure either. I was just going off google and what sraue said.
basically here: http://openelec.thestateofme.com/ we released a new version last night, so it may take 1-2 days until its up there, otherwise you can download the last from http://openelec.thestateofme.com/test_images/ and perform a update via OpenELECs settings addon

sraue

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:10 am

milhouse wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:You can download one of the 'testing' images and update using the settings addon. No need to do anything manually.
You can't normally update automatically from a development build to a release build, but maybe the Settings addon allows this - not something I've tested.
Milhouse, you are right, but (for us) development builds are this builds (like rbej does) which have the filename format like:
OpenELEC-<project>.<arch>-devel-<timestamp>-r<releasenumber> (ex. OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20130729070110-r15193)
and releases are
OpenELEC-<project>.<arch>-X.Y.Z (ex. OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-3.2.0)

or testreleases are releases, so the update from the Settings UI or the autoupdate works. (but also only between the same Major version (ex. all 3.x.y versions) and not from for example 2.x to 3.x

milhouse

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 am

Cool, thanks for the correction/clarification. And congrats on this release btw. :)

bkpi

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:35 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Ah ok, I am not sure either. I was just going off google and what sraue said.
basically here: http://openelec.thestateofme.com/ we released a new version last night, so it may take 1-2 days until its up there, otherwise you can download the last from http://openelec.thestateofme.com/test_images/ and perform a update via OpenELECs settings addon

JUST what I needed- many thanks!
Thanks,
Bill

pisici

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:17 pm

how can i update this issue in addons
Somebody can put totorial for this issue
thanks

Phill Rymer

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 pm