tommycheok

can Occidentalis v0.2 run .exe file?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 am

can Occidentalis v0.2 run .exe file with special compiler?? :cry:

malakai

Re: can Occidentalis v0.2 run .exe file?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:25 am

.exe files are Windows so it is usually accomplished using the Wine emulator unfortunately the Pi isn't powerful enough to really run Windows. If the source is available it can be compiled on the Pi but that depends on quite a bit on the program itself.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

tommycheok

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 am

malakai wrote:.exe files are Windows so it is usually accomplished using the Wine emulator unfortunately the Pi isn't powerful enough to really run Windows. If the source is available it can be compiled on the Pi but that depends on quite a bit on the program itself.
Thanks for the information. Means it have a change to run exe files with Wine emulator?

Cloudcentric

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 am

Is this what you are referring to ?

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rasp ... s-v0-dot-2
I know everything about nothing"

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am

It's not a power issue. The pi can certainly run some versions of windows, if you're simply talking about hardware capability. It's a different instruction set. WINE is not an emulator (hence the name), it will not translate instructions. Windows CE et al won't work either, but that's due to a complete lack of interest in running those on a pi and their closed nature.

You say "with a special compiler", so I am guessing you have the source code. If that's the case, you can take out the windows dependencies and compile a regular arm binary for linux. No special compiler needed.

LemmeFatale

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:WINE is not an emulator (hence the name), it will not translate instructions.
I wonder if usermode WINE + qemu is working on ARM, nowadays? The last time I looked into it, it wasn't, but if it is now, it may be worth a look.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, last time I checked, there was a lot of wizardry in the works on that front. No idea if there's anything usable yet either.

itimpi

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 pm

tommycheok wrote:
malakai wrote:.exe files are Windows so it is usually accomplished using the Wine emulator unfortunately the Pi isn't powerful enough to really run Windows. If the source is available it can be compiled on the Pi but that depends on quite a bit on the program itself.
Thanks for the information. Means it have a change to run exe files with Wine emulator?
As I understood it, the Wine emulator only runs on Intel based systems? It does not emulate the processor, but just translates Windows System calls into Linux ones.

JoeStrout

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm

One thing to note: Mono also produces .exe files, and these can (sometimes) be run on any system with a Mono runtime. It depends on how the file was built, and what other libraries it's using. Just by seeing somefile.exe, you can't tell; you should talk to whoever developed it (or look for docs).

Of course, Occidentalis is based on Raspian, which uses the hardfloat ABI, so Mono doesn't work properly on it anyway. :(

Return to “Other”