thebruce

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) released

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:42 am

rpi-update did not work for me either. Seems like i'm stuck with the 32 bit version for now.

andrum99

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:58 am

There also seems to be a problem with networking. On my Pi 3B and Pi 4B it fails to get an IP address from my pi-hole DHCP server - both machines work fine with Raspbian. If I manually add an IP address to eth0, a default route, and DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf everything seems to work.

graphicw

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:07 am

Sounds like it was not quite ready for prime time yet.

Fidelius

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:19 am

Pulsar33 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 pm
First point, I follow and try to be useful on this forum since I have 2 RPi4. As far as I know, this forum is a Raspberry Pi forum, not a Raspbian forum, even if I understand that Raspbian is your preferred OS. I find it cool but I'm glad to discover other capabilities of the SBC and this is why I bought 2 of them, one for daily use and the other to perform tests.
A good point. Mentioning Ubuntu here on the forums seems to always hit some nerves. Nobody knows why. Humans tend to be illogical beings.

Since I use Ubuntu on my main x86 Linux machines, and for my Pi forum experience I read this nice forum here, I too am always interested to see what our Pis are cabable of and what problems occure there, for example booting Ubuntu server. That's why I like threads like this one.

Just for the knowledge and to think outside the box.

I'm happily using Raspbian-only on my Pis, because it's the best for the Pis – head and shoulders better than for example Ubuntu on Pi (which I used to use for some time). It seems Canonical is doing their Ubuntu Pi ports in a loveless way.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 am

As this is a none LTS release it is only supported for 9 months, therefore hopefully by next Easter 20.04 should be "functional"

I posted this as many posters wanted Ubuntu, and now wished had not bothered, though made sure it was in Other - Operating Systems.

In my opinion it is worth waiting for Ubuntu-Mate as it will likely get some love.

Nuts to all the detractors in this thread....
Retired disgracefully.....

Pulsar33

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:50 am

Fidelius wrote:
I absolutely agree :D and thanks for your support

Have a nice day
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.2

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Fidelius wrote:

A good point. Mentioning Ubuntu here on the forums seems to always hit some nerves. Nobody knows why. Humans tend to be illogical beings.
It is just that users tend to use what they know, so when they used Ubuntu previously on their PC's they automatically want to run it on a RPI, as that is the choice they know (and love).

Seasoned Raspberry PI users on the other hand know that it is actually Raspbian that was especially developed for the RPI, and NOT ubuntu, (although they are very much alike Debian based distro's, and can run most of each others software). It is Raspbian for which all the accelerated GPU drivers, and other specific RPI hardware drivers such as WiFi were written!

And so Canonical will always be (much) later when adapting these into their own distro.

Therefore Raspbian will always be (should always be) the default choice for an RPI user, and that is why it doesn't get prominence here, not because we are "illogical beings".

That said, obviously anyone is welcome to run whatever OS he wants on his RPI, just don't expect it to be the preferred choice here that gets the same amount of support as Raspbian.

And as always, our primary rule on this forum is to be nice and respectful to our other forum members, calling them "illogical" because they don't support your choice of OS isn't nice nor respectful. :mrgreen:

AlxMedia

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:34 pm

The USB issue confirmed and it seems like one is assigned to it as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1848790

Fidelius

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Therefore Raspbian will always be (should always be) the default choice for an RPI user, and that is why it doesn't get prominence here, not because we are "illogical beings".
Prominence was not my point, but that the user Pulsar got some unlogical negative waves for asking a simple Ubuntu-for-Pi question here on the "Other OS" sub-forum. And similar things happened in the past when people asked Ubuntu-for-Pi questions here.

There's ten or so "Other OS" sub-forums here, like for RISCOS etc, none of which is an officially supported OS by the Raspberry Pi foundation. It would seem logical to also have an Ubuntu sub-forum or to handle Ubuntu questions the same way like other-OS questions, where it's perfectly OK to ask questions about RISCOS or SUSE or whatever other-OS here on the forum. Forum users or moderators not knowing an answer could just wait until some other users know an answer – and by now several users posted good answers here in this thread.

The Raspberry Pi foundation's forum is the number one place-to-go for all matters concerning Pi. Naturally people will look on this central place first with their Pi related questions.

Like I wrote, Raspbian is my choice of OS on the Pi, not Ubuntu. My second favourite OS on the Pi is RISC-OS. Also I like to keep my opinion that we humans tend to be illogical beings. You, Jamesh and I are old enough to see such an opinion in a general abstract way and to separate it from personal feelings.

I'm sorry for having been off-topic. Back-on topic: Ubuntu (19.10) on the Pi.
Last edited by Fidelius on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pulsar33

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 am
Maybe ask in a Canonical form?
https://ubuntuforums.org/
B.Goode Posts: 8558 Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03
jamesh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am
Same suggestion - ask Canonical. Ubuntu is their distro, it's their job to support it. We have our own distro, Raspbian, which we are happy to support.
jamesh Posts: 23682 Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:43 am
+ 100% :D
fruitoftheloom Posts: 20735 Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 pm
mahjongg wrote:
our primary rule on this forum is to be nice and respectful to our other forum members
mahjongg Posts: 12229 Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:19 am

I didn't find the answers of B.Goode, jamesh and fruitoftheloom so nice, when I only replied to the very first message of this subject. However I said somewhere above that this point was closed for me. I notice that high level posters (see the number of posts) "tend" to reply (like you say) according to their long history on this forum (what they know and that's "human" I believe, as you do). I further notice that all other members who posted in this subject have less than 100 posts and many have less than 10 posts. And if you read their posts, they all are constructive and cool.

I think you ("old" users) have to take something in account : the RPi4 board is an awesome technical step and power improvement. Many new users are arriving here and discover the capabilities of the board. They are excited by all the things that could be made with it and want to try that in impatient mode. They (we) don't know everything about the history of previous boards, about the old conflicts on this forum, about your constraints for those who are in charge of the product development and support. They don't care about your preference for Raspbian. RPi4 is an amazing computer and Linux is a very wide world with many pleasant flavors.

I can understand that it is not simple for you but you should understand too and be patient because this is the sign of a great success.

Best regards
Pulsar33

PS : once more, the problem is closed for me. Back to the technical point of view as Fidelius says.
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.2

lingon

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 pm

The USB-problem concerning the Raspberry Pi 4GB RAM model might be due to the issue seen earlier that using more RAM than 3072 MB breaks the USB:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&start=25

The issue was solved by a kernel patch:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1517839

and the kernel patch was this one:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -520269280

andrum99

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:09 pm

lingon wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 pm
The USB-problem concerning the Raspberry Pi 4GB RAM model might be due to the issue seen earlier that using more RAM than 3072 MB breaks the USB:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&start=25

The issue was solved by a kernel patch:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1517839

and the kernel patch was this one:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -520269280
Yeah it's been fixed for some time but it looks like Canonical haven't got round to forward porting it to the 5.3.x kernel.

o635789

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Shame on Canonical.

Raspberry Pi 4 is a board with fixed hardware and virtually no variants except the size of RAM, didn't even bother to know if it would boot up at all before "release"? I can't believe it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 am

Fidelius wrote:
Pulsar33 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 pm
First point, I follow and try to be useful on this forum since I have 2 RPi4. As far as I know, this forum is a Raspberry Pi forum, not a Raspbian forum, even if I understand that Raspbian is your preferred OS. I find it cool but I'm glad to discover other capabilities of the SBC and this is why I bought 2 of them, one for daily use and the other to perform tests.

Since I use Ubuntu on my main x86 Linux machines, and for my Pi forum experience I read this nice forum here, I too am always interested to see what our Pis are cabable of and what problems occure there, for example booting Ubuntu server. That's why I like threads like this one.

I'm happily using Raspbian-only on my Pis, because it's the best for the Pis – head and shoulders better than for example Ubuntu on Pi (which I used to use for some time). It seems Canonical is doing their Ubuntu Pi ports in a loveless way.
Ok, so I have no problem with Ubuntu. Anyone is free to create or use whatever OS they want to. And *discuss* it here.

What I do find frustrating is companies as big as Canonical a) releasing something they haven't tested very well and b) seemingly relying on us to provide some of their support. Running forums costs money and time, we get nothing except good will from supporting other distro's.

There's 10 of us doing SW at RPI. Canonical have 443 employees (2018), lets say 25% are SW engineering, that's 80 at least. Seems a bit unfair that people come to us for Ubuntu support. when Canonical have their own forums and support system. What I don't understand is why people ask other distro stuff on here before checking with their own forums. Yes, there more more Pi experts on the whole here, but the target is Raspbian, that's where the majority of knowledge is based. Not some random distro. There are of course exceptions.

As for other distros having their own forums here, if it were we me I'd get rid of most of them. RISCOS? One or few guys, so fair enough they have a forum here, but other distro's? I believe they should have their own support forums.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

cjan

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am

why open other sub-forum then ask people to their OS forum?

leggazoid

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 pm

maximumwarp wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:32 pm
leggazoid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 am
The problem is the USB ports don't work.

You can SSH into the Pi 4 with:

User: ubuntu
Pass: ubuntu

It will then ask for new password.

This only works if you have ethernet cable connected.
I logged in by ssh with ubuntu/ubuntu and the changed default password, it works but why USB port doesn't work? Solution?

Thank you!
Here is a workaround until the kernel gets patched:

Setting total_mem=3072 in /boot/firmware/usercfg.txt
If you mount the sd card in another computer the usercfg.txt is on the small vfat partition.

leggazoid

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 pm

I agree with Jamesh about Ubuntu support should solve the issue.

My question is who is responsible for mainline kernel progress and bug fixes?

This is not easy for even Google ChromeOS to do with their seemingly unlimited resources. A lot of chromebooks are on kernel 3.14 version.
My broadwell based chromebook can't run crostini without a new kernel and it's slated for EOL in a year anyway.

I applaud the Raspberry Pi foundation and their efforts because, as far as I know, the newest Raspbian runs the 4.19 kernel on the RPi 1 model A.
That is a remarkable feat considering they are focused on current hardware when updating Raspbian.

I would also like to know the relationship between Raspbian and the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
I ask this because of a statement on the Raspbian.org site:
"Up until now, financial costs related to development been funded out of pocket by project leader Mike Thompson."

Thanks for the forum and the ability to ask questions. Sorry if I got off topic.

Pulsar33

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:10 pm

leggazoid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 pm
Here is a workaround until the kernel gets patched:
Setting total_mem=3072 in /boot/firmware/usercfg.txt
If you mount the sd card in another computer the usercfg.txt is on the small vfat partition.
It works fine ! :!: Thanks once more leggazoid :idea:

After installing the graphical UI (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop => about 1 hour => ok => reboot), here it is
DiscoverUI.jpg
DiscoverUI.jpg (137.34 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Keyboard is ok now. Some parameters to ajust (time,locale, ...)

Best regards
Pulsar33

Pulsar33

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 pm

As already seen in console mode : no Bluetooth adapter available ...
No luck as, if the M$ radio keyboard works fine, the associated mouse lags :cry:
I tried to add usbhid.mousepoll=0 at the end of the btcmd.txt line but had no improvement.

BR
Pulsar33

leggazoid

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:49 pm

I also noticed the wifi in Ubuntu 19.10 does not support 5Ghz band. Probably lots of bugs left that Raspbian has addressed.
It also locks up after an hour or so with my setup.

I will stick with Raspbian for now.

MikeDB

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 am

jamesh wrote:
Same suggestion - ask Canonical. Ubuntu is their distro, it's their job to support it. We have our own distro, Raspbian, which we are happy to support.
I think that's a little disingenious Jamesh. You have a new and powerful 64 bit computer with but with only an official 32bit OS so of course people have to look elsewhere such as Ubuntu and Gentoo. I have tried the Raspian 64 bit kernal but that has lots of other problems and is at best a half-hearted solution.

Someone at the top of the Pi foundation really needs to get on top of this and decide to fork Pi software development into two teams, with separate FULL 32 bit and 64 bit OSes, otherwise these problems are going to occur for years to come.

(Of course actually what will happen is the 32 bit version will die a slow death as people buy new hardware but that's hardly to be unexpected. Who uses a PC more than say 5 years old ?)
Please write out 100 times "Linux is not a real time operating system so I will not suggest it is"

jamesh

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 am

MikeDB wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 am
jamesh wrote:
I think that's a little disingenious Jamesh. You have a new and powerful 64 bit computer with but with only an official 32bit OS so of course people have to look elsewhere such as Ubuntu and Gentoo. I have tried the Raspian 64 bit kernal but that has lots of other problems and is at best a half-hearted solution.

Someone at the top of the Pi foundation really needs to get on top of this and decide to fork Pi software development into two teams, with separate FULL 32 bit and 64 bit OSes, otherwise these problems are going to occur for years to come.

(Of course actually what will happen is the 32 bit version will die a slow death as people buy new hardware but that's hardly to be unexpected. Who uses a PC more than say 5 years old ?)
Disingenuous? No, not at all. Ubuntu is produced by Canonical, they are responsible for supporting it. Raspbian is produced by us, and we support it. That is factual, not disingenuous. Bringing in comments about 32 and 64 bit are disingenuous, as they have nothing whatsoever to do with Canonical and Ubuntu and the support they are providing.

You know we have a team of 10 SW guys? Half that and nothing would get done, and we have a lot of support and *new* dev work to do with that team.

As for 32/64 bit discussion, this has been done to death, but in case you have missed it. we have been working on a 64 bit kernel as shown by the thread, on here, about the 64 bit kernel.

And I think that probably enough "Telling us how to run our company". Which is just rude.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Pulsar33

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Can we stop the off-topic at the end!

If the moderators want to continue this debate, they can move the off-topic messages elsewhere. And I think that customers who buy RPi (which pay developers) will also have things to say.

But this is a topic about Ubuntu in Other OS.

Thank you
Pulsar33

jamesh

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Pulsar33 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm
Can we stop the off-topic at the end!

If the moderators want to continue this debate, they can move the off-topic messages elsewhere.
We don't. Stay on topic everyone.

And just a friendly reminder to everyone, if you have problems with a post, report it. Don't try to self moderate. That never ends well.

Return to “Ubuntu”