geir

Pi custom distro

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 am

Hi

Could any one point me in the right direction to make my own custom OS to run on the Raspbian PI. Or more specifically I want to build on the weezy and then get it back to and image I can redistribute. I can’t really find any good info on google.

The point of this is to make the progress I make available to everyone. And also to have like a back up image for when I screw it up.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Pi custom distro

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 pm

The device is Raspberry Pi.
One of the distros this device runs is called Raspbian.

You can bootstrap debian and work from there. I would start with a minimal image of raspbian available here http://www.raspbian.org/HexxehImages and build on top of that.

I would then create a disk image and a script to mount it and rsync everything to it to make your backup. Then you can just run the script whenever you have made some significant changes and have a disk image you can dd in the future.

geir

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Would it be possible to "download" the image from the SD card using Win32 disk imager. After I have done the changes to it? Then make this in to an image to be installed?? Or is this a stupid question

Or I'll try this: http://blog.kmp.or.at/2012/05/build-you ... -pi-image/
Looks like it might do what I'm after, I will test it on Ubuntu when I get home

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I don't know about Win32 disk imager, but you can always use dd. I am sure there are plenty of windows tools to do the same thing. However, you'll save yourself a lot of pain if you work from linux.

There's a problem though. Say you're working on an 8GB sdcard. The space that isn't used still has data on it, so when you take the disk image, it will take the whole 8GB, even if your distro is 3GB, for example. That's why I would create a 3GB image and move the files there rather than take the image of the sdcard directly. There might be better ways to go about this though.

Return to “Other”