DavidS

What Linux Distro?

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:13 am

What current Linux distro for the RPi has packages for many of the needed OpenGL based desktop utilities (like OpenSCAD).

Many of these were in Raspbian Jessie, though are not in Raspbian Stretch. And compiling many of these can be a lot of work, and take a lot of time, so I prefer not to have to recompile them.

Also I would greatly prefer to find an actually light weight distro, preferably that comes on an SD image.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

cjan

Re: What Linux Distro?

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 am

Alarm, sway/wayland?

Gavinmc42

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:56 am

Well OpenGL is best on the Pi4.
Only one decent Linux for that at present, Raspbian Buster.
Sakaki has a dual 32/64 version that is just about usable easily.
Her Gentoo64 is pretty good for OpenGL on a 3B+, the Pi4 version should be very good.

But is it too soon for other Pi4 options?
My fav small Linux PiCore is not ready yet on Pi4, and when it is much stuff will need recompiling?

While compiling on Pi4 is much faster, you cannot do too much else with the 4B1 version.
And as I am using this 4B1 as a Desktop I really need another 4 for compiles ;)
And compiling many of these can be a lot of work, and take a lot of time, so I prefer not to have to recompile them.
Well Jessie and Stretch Raspbian are not that good with OpenGL, their versions of mesa are old.

As for OpenSCAD I think it might just be two dependencies that need fixing.
ttps://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... d#p1501260

I am no expert in compiling big stuff, some stuff just works, some have dependency hell, some just needs newer stuff installed first.
Any useful application is probably going to be C based and hence lots of those dependencies.
A few choices, try compiling it yourself, wait until someone else gets around to it or find an alternative.

That sway/wayland look interesting, but everything will need recompiling?
I had to google Sway and found this blog, is it what you are looking for re browsers? :lol:
https://an3223.github.io/Living-without ... n-browser/

On Pi4 FreeCAD and OpenSCAD are not working, yet.
It will be easily to get them working on Buster than trying to get them going on older releases?
Er, I have not tried those on Buster on a 3B+, maybe they compile/work?

OpenGL in Mesa3D has been evolving rapidly recently, to take advantage of all the new Pi stuff you really need to learn to compile it.
Same with the Linux Kernel, 5.3 is promising to be a big one.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DavidS

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you for the input, though I am still running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ at best.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Well I guess that I am sticking with Raspbian for the time being. Trying to figure out enough of the dependency tree to get rid of what is unneeded, still, and dealing with having to compile things that are quite difficult to get going.

Gavinmc42

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:55 am

On the 3B+ I found the best was Gentoo64.
Had newer OpenGL stuff that just worked, newer versions of compilers etc.
But it is not Debian so another big learning curve.
Plus the support from Sakaki was very good, with well written Wikis.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Other”