fruitoftheloom

Re: [UPDATE] Kodi 18.4 Leia for Raspberry Pi 4

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 pm

pboh wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:02 pm
Hi all. I hope everyone and your family/friends are keeping well while being sequestered! I also hope this is not considered hijacking an old thread - I spent a good deal of time looking for the most appropriate forum/thread. Please feel free to redirect!

Problem statement: Cannot launch kodi from a terminal, either by ssh or from the directly connected keyboard/monitor, without using startx in front of it. Having followed many instructions to what I believe is the exact written steps, I think I've got to be missing something fundamental/basic.

Here are factors that have remained constant throughout all attempts: RPI4B+ 4GB, using Raspbian Buster Lite, and compiling Kodi from source each time (18.5, 18.6, and 19.x).

What I hope is enough relevant info:

- keeping packages installed only to the minimum required to install RetroPie and Kodi
- executing kodi-standalone from the terminal immediately after boot
- setting up kodi as a port in RetroPie such that it's launched with EmulationStation (let's say for the sake of argument I don't think my config -here- is wrong)
- have added the udev drm rule, have added render to the group membership for the pi user account
- have NOT used the kodi startup scripts/systemd stuff
- SDL, MESA, DRM, FFMPEG all up to date
- have compiled with both the GL and GLES options (but isn't this explicitly X11?)

The error is what is posted all over the web: ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting. In kodi's log, the error is again predictable:2020-04-05 11:55:13.243 T:2976068192 ERROR: X11 Error: No Display found
2020-04-05 11:55:13.243 T:2976068192 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system.

I had thought through all the reading and examples shown that kodi could be launched by itself without having to front it with 'startx'. Am I just missing a basic understanding of how X11/Kodi (and alternately and separately Kodi/Retropie) interact? I had thought RetroPie wrote direct to the screen somehow and assumed it would use whatever magic it uses when it tries to start Kodi, but the same symptoms persist. Should I just 'get over it' and use startx, even though that's not in most of the examples throughout the web? I've made this work on other platforms by installing and using openbox; however, as an intellectual curiosity am just trying to find the leanest way possible to run Kodi.

Thanks very much for any advice or guidance!

Use the Kodi post by Rascas:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=251645
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mattx38

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 am

Hello,

I just installed Kodi on my Rpi4, but when I launch Kodi, the screen turns black and then come back to the dekstop and that's it...

Do I need to install another package ?
My OS is Raspbian.

Thank you for help

derders

Fri May 01, 2020 3:54 pm

mattx38 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 am
Hello,

I just installed Kodi on my Rpi4, but when I launch Kodi, the screen turns black and then come back to the dekstop and that's it...

Do I need to install another package ?
My OS is Raspbian.

Thank you for help
this is the beta thread ... go over here to Rascas main thread viewtopic.php?f=66&t=251645...
you followed all steps from first post? specially the "RASPBERRY PI 4 ONLY TWEAKS / RAM for the GPU" part? If yes post a log with your problem in the main thread to help you...

mynetself

Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi, would appreciate some help with Kodi 18.4, the beta version with optimizations for RPi4. (Trying this after Kodi 18.6 couldn't play some x.265 videos properly on 4GB RPi4B.) I downloaded the package from https://gofile.io/?c=IMacTc, and then tried to install it, but get some errors:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb 

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Sub-process Popen returned an error code (2)
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /home/pi/mnt/software/kodi/kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I tried looking around for this error but none of the solutions worked. Then I tried to force install it

Code: Select all

$sudo dpkg --force-all -i ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb 

dpkg-deb: error: './kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb' is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb (--install):
 dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ./kodi-rpi4_18.4.0-5_armhf.deb

So it seems the package is somehow corrupt or broken. Did anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas hos to resolve?

Return to “Other”