sorensenbrad

Dual boot SDMI cards

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:29 pm

I new to raspberry and was wondering if I can dual boot kali Linux and retropie that are on 2 different sd cards.

I currently have kali Linux installed on a 32gb sd card and also have a separate 32gb sd card with retro pie installed on it.

I guess I need some specific instructions on what to use and how to accomplish this.

Andyroo

Re: Dual boot SDMI cards

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

As the Pi has only on SD adapter you would have to shutdown, switch card and power back up.

You could look to use https://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/ and select OS at boot time. WD had a similar option for there hard disks but I’m unsure if it’s still available.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

sorensenbrad

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:10 am

Do they both need to be installed on the same sd card or can one be onboard and the other usb?

Also can the pi use 64gb and or 128gb sd card?

sorensenbrad

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 am

I’m going to assume they’ll need to installed on the same as card.

How can I make berryboot images from my 2 sd cards. The 2 sd cards currently work separately.

Can I use a 64gb or 128gb as card in my pi 3b?

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 am

sorensenbrad wrote:

How can I make berryboot images from my 2 sd cards. The 2 sd cards currently work separately.

Don't bother. Just get PINN installed on one SDCard and pick the OS'es you want.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=142574

Doing anything else is probably above your skill level.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 am

sorensenbrad wrote:
Can I use a 64gb or 128gb as card in my pi 3b?
Yes, the Raspberry Pi computers support SDXC cards, which max at 2TB capacity (although none that large exist yet).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

sorensenbrad

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I just learned howto make an IMG file of my sd cards at minimum I have a backup and can restore to an sd card.

I was told the IMG needs to converted to SQUASHFS file for berry boot to use it. Now I see instruction on how to convert in LInux but I need to do this in Windows10.

I dont know much about PINN I will google it afterwards but is it better than berryboot? I thought it was just an installer not a boot manager, might be getting it confused with NOOB. Does PINN use IMG files or do they need converting like berryboot.

If I can use PINN to installe multiple IMG file OS's on my SD card and be able to select which one to boot into at startup that would be great.

sorensenbrad

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Greetings... to be proactive I used sd card formatter to format my sd in winodws then extracted the contents of the PINN-Lite.zip file to my 128GB sd card. Now I assume its ready to insert into my onboard PI sd card slot and boot. Once booted I can select my IMG files to install OS's from my usb thumb drive.

PS. My Pi 3B+ isn't here yet, it Wed/Thu.
I ordered a raspad 10" display with raspberry pi 3b+
raspad is just a case with display.

procount

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 pm

@sorensenbrad - please see my sig for the main thread about PINN on this forum. It is a fork of NOOBS with enhanced functionality, including backup and restore, project spaces, password recovery, file system checking, OS customisation, recovery shell and much more. Yes it is also a boot manager and not just an OS installer.

Dougie suggested just installing new versions of Kali and Retropie as PINN supports both of those. This will be the easiest method for you, even if you have to reinstall your ROM games or whatever afterwards.

However, if you really want to copy your existing installations as they are, then there is a post on my wiki on how to do that. Please see:
https://github.com/procount/pinn/wiki/H ... using-PINN

PINN does not use SD card images because it needs to re-organise the SD card partitions to cater for multiple OSes. So it uses .tar.xz archives of each partition instead. The wiki article explains how to create them. Windows cannot easily deal with the ext format that is normally used for Linux partitions, so you will need to use Linux for some operations. But fortunately you already have a Linux computer - it's called a Raspberry pi!
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Other”