Paeryn

Re: Strange boot folder transformation in ubuntu 18.10!?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 am

gilius wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 am
Regarding your first sentence, I certainly understood Linux mounts based on your last sentence, i.e. devices are usually mounted to empty directories, hence the confusion. The fact that the /boot folder on partition 2 is not empty to start with should have been emphasized early on in this discussion - because that begs the question as to why it's pre-populated with files and other sub-folders if it's sole purpose is to be replaced by another mount point.
feelslikeautumn quite clearly said it wasn't empty in their second post in this thread.
feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:03 pm
Due to how the raspi3 images were built there are files in /boot/firmware before it is mounted. This is a bug (one that I also pointed out, but again ignored).
It may be that the files were meant to be copied whilst a partition was mounted, if for any reason it wasn't mounted at that time then the files will have been copied into the directory instead.
She who travels light — forgot something.

gilius

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 am

In hindsight we can now interpret feelslikeautumn's statement, but without the context of what we were discussing - namely partition 1 being mounted to /boot/firmware - his isolated statement did not make any sense. And it doesn't seem like you know for sure why /boot and /boot/firmware has stuff inside it already - just guessing. Is it a bug? Again, I plan to compare more distros over the weekend to try to get a more deeper understanding of what's happening. Flash-Kernel vs. U-boot vs. Grub, including a supposed EFI involvement has yet to be demystified.

Paeryn

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am

I don't know for sure because I have never used Ubuntu on my RPi. Without looking in to it can only guess as to what is happening based on what has been said.
She who travels light — forgot something.

Return to “Other”