hippy

Re: Windows 10 ARM64 (Dekstop, not IOT)

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am

DavidS wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 pm
hippy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm
I would expect those striving to get Windows 10 Desktop to work on ARM or a Pi are doing that, rather than helping get ReactOS ported, because they believe that's what most people are wanting, where the kudos and critical acclaim lies. I imagine their response might be; why are people working on React OS when Windows is what people want ?
Having spoke with many Windows users since last looking at this thread (trying to learn), I would disagree with you.

It seems that most of them believe that Windows is the only option, because it came with there computer.
I would say that actually proves what I was saying; users 'want' Windows so that's what those developers are trying to deliver.

That 'want' may be misguided but that's how it is.

If users can be convinced to 'want' ReactOS, or anything non-Windows, then developers would move towards delivering that.
DavidS wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 pm
So why would anyone want to use Windows (other than they do not know of a better way)?
People all have their own view on what they consider "better". One can only hope to persuade them differently.

The driving forces for people considering Windows "better" is mostly down to it being familiar, their having invested effort in being able to use it, and preferring to be using one thing rather than different things.

Such self-inflicted lock-in is not uncommon, and not entirely unreasonable, and it is very difficult to get people to break themselves out of such lock-in. That something else may be better isn't the only factor in play.

bensimmo

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:42 pm

I must've an odd one then, I use a few setups, I just prefer Windows10, everything I do is that little bit easier to do.
And now they give quite a choice of how you do it.

People are allowed to prefer one setup to another.

Linux people can't even agree what's best anyway.

Most people are familiar with Android or iOS over 'desktop' type setups.

DavidS

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 pm

MS can not even agree on what Windows should be. Windows users have had to learn new and different systems so many times it is amaizing that they stick with it even more, as it is not familiar even to a Windows user, as it is ever changing:
  • Windows 1.xx-Windows 2.xx had a simplish to use UI, real mode NE Execuatble format, and reasonable set of provided functions.
  • Windows 3.0-WFW 3.11 threw out everything Windows (including the Mac/GEM like file manager as the primary shell), and made people learn a new system, plus requiring programs to be Protected Mode safe thus throwing away many older programs.
  • Windows 4.xx (Windows 95-Windows ME) threw everything away again, restoring a little of Windows 2.x file management though not as well as Windows 2.x. Again merged in some of the NT 32-bit API and broke many applications.
  • Windows NT 5.x (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2008) threw away everything of the core system, and replaced it with the previously hated NT core, evolved from MS-OS/2. Again this broke many programs, and changed things for developers and users.
  • Windows NT 6.x (Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8), threw away the UI and made all end users relearn everything all over again. Though they did not break as much software this time through. They also introduced a new inefficient slow, over layered API that they are still trying to get programmers to use (though most of us stick with the Win32 API when dealing with windows as it is more stable).
  • Windows 10 (can not find the true NT version number), changed the entire UI all over again, and made it a little more tolerable to use when one has to. Also added so much background comm cow-pie that it takes almost a week to disable everything eating time and sending information to MS after you setup Windows 10.
It is no wonder that MS is loosing market share to Linux based systems. Though there are many other options that people are blind to as well.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “Other”