feelslikeautumn

Re: Ubuntu 18.04

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 pm

SatyamTG wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 am
The instructions in the Gentoo wiki which you linked here work. However, when I reboot the pi, I have to run hciattach again.
We must try to run that on boot.
Ubuntu-mate and Raspbian have a package called pi-bluetooth which basically contains a udev rule that does that from what I remember.
Also, could you please dig out the script you used. And one more thing, did you use the classic server image and installed the xfce gui.
Here are all the scripts I used - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4gQM56ORE2aveZ_CQ

To create the installers run build-pi-iso. It creates the squashfs filesystem, and then will error out when it tries to build the iso. Complete-iso will tidy things up. All you really have to do with these scripts is replace xubuntu with ubuntu-mate. You'll need to add a config.txt, cmdline.txt and GPU firmware to make it bootable on the pi. You'll need to add preseed files if you want ubiquity to work. The debian live-build system is very well documented if you look it up online.

The xubuntu-core image started off life as an installer built using the above scripts. For some reason, ubiquity doesn't like xubuntu-core and will only let you do a full disk installation. So the installers weren't suitable for release. Using the installer I did an oem install to an sd card. I then used the create_img script (which is a slimmed down version of the cloud image script I spoke of before) to transfer the files from the sd card to a virtual disk. The script expects the root filesystem to be mounted at chroot and the fat partition to be mounted at boot.

There are probably better ways to do this if your intention is to just create disk images. You could just use the flavour maker sccripts. Martin Wimpress has made presentations which you can look up which explain how they work.

feelslikeautumn

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 am
Anyone who starts a post with "I don't care if you ban me or not" is simply asking for trouble.
Or they are being honest. As others have expressed before me, there are happier and more pleasant places to contribute on the internet. The abrupt, unhelpful (telling them to go elsewhere) reply to SatyamTG's first ever post to the forum is sadly typical of the replies that can be expected from long time users of this forum and raspberry pi staff. Would I be upset if I didn't have to read and respond to these posts? Quite the reverse I should imagine.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 pm
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 am
Anyone who starts a post with "I don't care if you ban me or not" is simply asking for trouble.
Or they are being honest. As others have expressed before me, there are happier and more pleasant places to contribute on the internet. The abrupt, unhelpful (telling them to go elsewhere) reply to SatyamTG's first ever post to the forum is sadly typical of the replies that can be expected from long time users of this forum and raspberry pi staff. Would I be upset if I didn't have to read and respond to these posts? Quite the reverse I should imagine.
I said, and I quote:
As you are using a 3B, NOT a 3B+ you have no reason to use the unauthorised , and possibly buggy RPI3B+ version, use the official released version instead, so you have a place to go to for complaints. By the way, that place is NOT here.
I did NOT tell him to go elsewhere, just that as Ubuntu is not an official Raspberry PI supported OS, the best place for complaints/questions about Ubuntu isn't this forum, but the Ubuntu Forum. That was not meant to tell him off, and I apologize if I gave that impression, but I just wanted to give him a pointer to a place where he could get better support than on this forum.

I realize that the terms "unauthorized , and possibly buggy" might have sounded hurtful to feelslikeautumn, who is obviously proud of his creation, I apologize for that, it wasn't my intention to belittle his work, just that I did not understand why Satyam TG chose to use his 3B+ version, when the official version would have worked for his 3B, and I expected that version to have a working WiFi system.

I'm trying to be helpful, and am sorry if my intentions are misunderstood.

feelslikeautumn

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 am

Mahjongg, thanks for the above, apology accepted. I'm sorry too if my comments were over the top and hurtful to you. I appreciate it is not easy being a moderator. It's too easy to take your real life annoyances out on some random anonymous stranger on a forum. We can all try and improve how we speak to each other online.

I agree with you that people should be careful with what they download and use. But lets be honest that ship has long ago sailed on the Pi and I couldn't understand why you were singling out this thread. Even raspbian was started by some random bloke on a forum. Would I download and use an OS posted on a forum? Absolutely not, but there are clearly a lot of people who find this acceptable.

It's not that I necessarily think the creator is posting anything malicious, but have they secured their download server? Could it of been hacked by somebody else who put something nasty in there? This happened to linux mint (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994 ).

Btw, I have no plans to update my installer/image unless somebody finds a big problem. So if my above posts are edited with new links or the onedrive files say they have been modified then I have been hacked.

The only official ubuntu image that works out of the box on the 3B is ubuntu-core 16.04. Ubuntu-mate and the other 'flavour maker' 16.04 images are created by Martin Wimpress. The Pi3 server image is made by Ryan Finnie. Both Martin and Ryan work for Canonical I think, so they are perhaps a bit more official than a normal persons.

The ubuntu-mate image has proved to be very popular, but the price is hardly anybody uses the official 'classic' deb based ubuntu images. There is no Raspberry community on ubuntuforums.org. It is pointless sending anybody on there. As it is directing them to the ubuntu-mate forum. They'll have no more clue how to get Bluetooth working on ubuntu proper as the average Raspbian user.

The most appropriate forum for Pi related questions is this forum because it is supposed to be a forum for all the distros. Raspbian users may not know the answer, but I bet the Gentoo, Fedora, Arch, BSD users will. Other than this forum, Askubuntu.com and the raspberrypi stack exchange sites are good resources and somebody may get an answer there too.

Return to “Other”