feelslikeautumn

Re: Ubuntu 18.04

Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 am

All I've really done is run the installer what seems likes billion times. Firefox with script heavy webpages is the big disappointment, but other than that it works well.

Gavinmc42

Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 am

Progress! I was able to build the arm64 image last night. There are still a few things to sort out. Firefox seems to be bringing down the whole system when used with the 'live' installer.
Have a look at the Gentoo64, Firefox works quite well on that after Rust was got working on Aarch64.
I prefer it now over Chromium.

Will be nice to get more Aarch64 distributions working on Pi3B+ ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

feelslikeautumn

Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 am

The Firefox problem was a lack of memory, due to the ridiculously script heavy default web page. It's fine on an installed system. I've allocated a sizeable swap file so you shouldn't run into the problem (yes I know swap sucks on the pi). This is a pure Ubuntu system, everything is setup as it is on a normal computer.

Gavinmc42

Sun May 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Firefox problem was a lack of memory, due to the ridiculously script heavy default web page
Which version of Firefox?
I went click crazy and opened about 30 new tabs and still had about 200MB memory left in Gentoo64.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

feelslikeautumn

Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

59/60. It is the Firefox first run page.

Gavinmc42

Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am

Gentoo64 has the 58.0.1 (64bit) Developers Edition.
I suspect NeddySeagoon, who is a legend on the Gentoo forums (40,000+ posts) has tweaked it for Pi's.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-62.html

I have yet to find an easy to use image of any ?buntu64 for Pi's.
It needs to be an image file so anyone used to Etcher can use it.
Even new version may only be 32bit spins, may as well use Raspbian.

And the OS has to be current with the latest bug fixes for the 3B+ lockup issues.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

feelslikeautumn

Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am
I have yet to find an easy to use image of any ?buntu64 for Pi's.
It needs to be an image file so anyone used to Etcher can use it.
Even new version may only be 32bit spins, may as well use Raspbian.

And the OS has to be current with the latest bug fixes for the 3B+ lockup issues.
Your definition of easy to use maybe not the same as everybody else's? I've provided a 64 bit installer that doesn't need etcher or any other external app. It can be prepared with standard windows tools. It works just like every other *ubuntu installer, so again the user should be familiar with the process.

The image was made late Saturday night is that up to date enough? Any kernel fixes will be included once the kernel package is updated. If you have a probem, raise a bug on Launchpad just like you would on every other computer.

cdunivan

Sat May 26, 2018 3:18 am

I must be doing something wrong...

I downloaded the .zip file to my desktop, copied it to the MicroSD card (16GB freshly formatted FAT32) in an adapter, extracted it there and put it in the Pi to boot up. Nada.

Back into the adapter, into the laptop slot, and move all the files from the folder out into the root. Pop the card back into the Pi and power up. It showed the video adapter color test square, then an error message that the sdhost driver was already registered and being aborted.

Next a splash screen for Xubuntu! Not the Bionic Beaver I was expecting, but off the races, no less!

That stayed on for a while, then back to a text screen with an error that it was unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

With no instructions, I'm kind of guessing at it. I've been an IT tech for almost 20 years, but I'm still a relative novice with Linux and the Pi.

Shed a little light?

feelslikeautumn

Sat May 26, 2018 5:34 pm

You are missing the hidden ".disk" folder. It searches for this folder to identify the "cdrom". Copy that and it should work.

feelslikeautumn

Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm

(Unofficial) Xubuntu-core armhf - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4gQIR4CLRKQzh-GP0

Sha256sum - eb68ba83ccf9ea2974e3a3399c3e08cec819f71a2184efe133640c0796bddd81 xubuntu-core-18.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+raspi2.img.xz

Unlike the previous uploads in this thread it is a disk image. Should work on both sd cards and USB drives. Should work on the 2, 3B and 3B+.

On first boot you'll be asked to enter a username, location etc. Once in the desktop you'll want to resize the root partition to fill the remainder of the disk. The easiest way to do this is probably with growpart (here mmcblk0 is the SD card):

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install cloud-guest-utils
sudo growpart /dev/mmcblk0 2
sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
Xubuntu-core is a minimal set of applications. There is no browser or text editor! To get a more standard xubuntu desktop:

sudo apt install ^xubuntu-desktop
Firefox armhf seems to be working now!

SatyamTG

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:57 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
(Unofficial) Xubuntu-core armhf - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4gQIR4CLRKQzh-GP0

Sha256sum - eb68ba83ccf9ea2974e3a3399c3e08cec819f71a2184efe133640c0796bddd81 xubuntu-core-18.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+raspi2.img.xz

Unlike the previous uploads in this thread it is a disk image. Should work on both sd cards and USB drives. Should work on the 2, 3B and 3B+.

On first boot you'll be asked to enter a username, location etc. Once in the desktop you'll want to resize the root partition to fill the remainder of the disk. The easiest way to do this is probably with growpart (here mmcblk0 is the SD card):

sudo apt update
Xubuntu-core is a minimal set of applications. There is no browser or text editor! To get a more standard xubuntu desktop:

I cannot get bluetooth to work. Is it buggy ?
I am on a rpi3B

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:05 pm

SatyamTG wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:57 pm
feelslikeautumn wrote:

sudo apt update

I cannot get bluetooth to work. Is it buggy ?
I am on a rpi3B
As you are using a 3B, NOT a 3B+ you have no reason to use the unauthorised , and possibly buggy RPI3B+ version, use the official released version instead, so you have a place to go to for complaints. By the way, that place is NOT here.

feelslikeautumn

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:09 pm

you have no reason to use the unauthorised , and possibly buggy RPI3B+ version, use the official released version instead, so you have a place to go to for complaints. by the way, that place is NOT here.
mahjongg, seriously what is your problem? Why you have to comment here I have no idea.

Asking about Bluetooth is an entirely reasonable question. I anticipated it wouldn't work, but I have no device to test. I can give instructions on how to get it to work if you haven't been put off by mahjongg's ridiculous post. You'll find all official versions of Ubuntu (not Ubuntu-mate or other flavour maker versions) don't have working Bluetooth either. The firmware isn't in the Ubuntu repo's.

feelslikeautumn

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:10 pm

SatyamTG, if you want to investigate bluetooth yourself then here are some links:

Bug discussing Bluetooth on Ubuntu-core - https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1674509
Ubuntu flavour maker build script - https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-pi-fla ... d-image.sh
Gentoo Bluetooth instructions - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Bluetooth
Github bug report - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1314
Adafruit guide - https://learn.adafruit.com/install-blue ... stallation

mahjongg
    Forum Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Do you really think its a good idea to say to your moderator "what is your problem", and ask him why he posts in a thread? Its his voluntary job to do so, and as ever other poster in this forum he has the right to give his opinion.

As I have said it before, if you opt to use a non RPF OS, like Ubuntu, there are some disadvantages to that, including not using an OS specially designed to work as well with the PI's hardware.

IMHO the previous poster would have been better off using the official OS for the raspberry PI, Raspbian, but if he insists for some reason on using Ubuntu, he had no need to use the unofficial cobbled together (non Ubuntu originated) version of Ubuntu, instead he could have used the official one. I'm not saying that one will have hardware support for the RPI that is any better, just that at the very least there is an organisation behind it.

feelslikeautumn

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:
    Do you really think its a good idea to say to your moderator "what is your problem", and ask him why he posts in a thread? Its his voluntary job to do so, and as ever other poster in this forum he has the right to give his opinion.
    Do you really think I care about being banned from this forum? Nobody asked you to post on this thread. Nobody was asking for your opinion. There was no moderation needed.

How you are a moderator on here is beyond me. You are one of the rudest and most disruptive posters on here. Telling somebody to install Raspbian on a thread about another OS is extremely tedious. If Raspbian is so great, then why do people keep wanting to install something else?
    As I have said it before, if you opt to use a non RPF OS, like Ubuntu, there are some disadvantages to that, including not using an OS specially designed to work as well with the PI's hardware.

IMHO the previous poster would have been better off using the official OS for the raspberry PI, Raspbian, but if he insists for some reason on using Ubuntu, he had no need to use the unofficial cobbled together (non Ubuntu originated) version of Ubuntu, instead he could have used the official one. I'm not saying that one will have hardware support for the RPI that is any better, just that at the very least there is an organisation behind it.
    I've spent many hours on the installers/images to ensure that they work well. They certainly are not 'cobbled' together. They use the same build system as official ubuntu images/installers for the other architectures. Every package is from the ubuntu repos. You can see what modifications are made for the pi by looking in the preseed file of the installer.

I've contacted the xubuntu-users and xubuntu-devel mailing lists to seek testers and their approval for my versions. I've contacted the xubuntu-core maintainer to ask about patches they have made.

I've reported bugs about the oem install that have previously not been spotted and have now been patched by the ubuntu devs.

My images are actually less buggy than official releases, certainly less buggy than previous unofficial releases (the pi3 server image was broken for most of its life), and I would argue are less buggy than the ubuntu flavour maker versions (which for example throw an error about lack of boot space).

Bluetooth not working is due to the Raspberry Pi foundation not sending patches upstream. Not resolving the legality of the wifi/bluetooth firmware so that it can be included in distros. If they did these things then bluetooth would work out of the box. Why should distros have to maintain separate patched packages for the pi3? They don't have to do this with any other hardware.

I want people to use official ubuntu images. That is why I first spent my time updating the Ubuntu wiki so that there were instructions in place for the Pi3B and 3B+ when 18.04 was released. But there are people who still find them too difficult (the arm64 install is quite challenging due to grub2 issues) and my installers/images are for those people.

So you are not the only person to volunteer your time. There are people who similarly spend hours maintaining Gentoo, Arch, Fedora openSuse etc. I don't think it is hard to understand why somebody might get annoyed with your comments?

SatyamTG

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 am

mahjongg wrote:

Clearly, mahjongg is a guy who annoys everybody and gets into unnecessary quarrels just to increase his post count. Seriously, do you think RPI forums are made for this ?

SatyamTG

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 am

mahjongg wrote: you have no reason to use the unauthorised , and possibly buggy RPI3B+ version, use the official released version instead, so you have a place to go to for complaints. That place is NOT here.
    Forums are for discussion and not for complaints,' Official Support', or 'Advertising'.
    The point is clear. I am not complaining. I'm just discussing some things that I don't think you understand deeply.
    And you are giving so called 'voluntary' support and advertising an os which is not being discussed here.

If I get banned for this post, then let's continue the discussion in a google group. That would actually be better.

n67

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:25 am

Clearly, mahjongg is a guy (?) who annoys everybody and gets into unnecessary quarrels just to increase his post count. Seriously, do you think RPI forums are made for this ?
    Keep in mind that Maj Jongg is a game played almost exclusive by old women.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

SatyamTG

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:24 am

feelslikeautumn wrote:
    Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:10 pm
    SatyamTG, if you want to investigate bluetooth yourself then here are some links:

Bug discussing Bluetooth on Ubuntu-core - https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1674509
    Ubuntu flavour maker build script - https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-pi-fla ... d-image.sh
    Gentoo Bluetooth instructions - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Bluetooth
    Github bug report - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1314
    Adafruit guide - https://learn.adafruit.com/install-blue ... stallation
      I got bluetooth up and running and also installed mate desktop. Everything works well. I just want to ask you how to make images from my installed system. I'm thinking of making a Ubuntu mate image.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm

SatyamTG wrote:
      I got bluetooth up and running and also installed mate desktop. Everything works well. I just want to ask you how to make images from my installed system. I'm thinking of making a Ubuntu mate image.
      Great! Could you explain what you did to get the bluetooth working for the benefit of others?

I created the armhf image file using a script from the livecd-rootfs package. There is a script for the cloud image builds that creates the img file and copies the files from the chroot across to the image. You could use that after a bit of editing. Alternatively you can do it like the flavour maker script. I can dig out the actual script I used if you need it.

mahjongg
      Forum Moderator
      Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:46 pm

well, okay then.... I understand that there are fans of Ubuntu, and I like the kind of passion that is behind it.

I'm not against using Ubuntu on a PI. Just against blindly using it without verifying that there might be a (better) alternative, just because you heard Ubuntu is such a popular choice under linux distributions that you automatically assume it must also be the best OS for a RPI.

That might be the case for x86 PC's but isn't the case for RPI's IMHO, as Raspbian was designed from the same Debian source as Ubuntu, but with the lightweight aspects of a RPI in mind, so using a desktop system that ideally fits it, not the "one size fits all" solution that Ubuntu 18.04 normally uses.

It also was written while having the closest connection to the hardware designers, so that the software would work well with the hardware. I'm not familiar with how well the software designers push their fixes upstream, but I agree that that is how it should work, in the open source world.

and I also just wanted to point out to the 3B owner, that the official Ubuntu version would work for him, and there was no need for the forced choice that a 3B+ brings to people who want to try Ubuntu on their PI 3B+ (no disrespect intended for the work done on getting it to work anyhow on the 3B+).

good luck with Ubuntu 18.04 on the raspberry PI.

lets just agree that choice is good... :mrgreen:

SatyamTG

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 am

feelslikeautumn wrote:
      Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm
      SatyamTG wrote:
      Great! Could you explain what you did to get the bluetooth working for the benefit of others?

I created the armhf image file using a script from the livecd-rootfs package. There is a script for the cloud image builds that creates the img file and copies the files from the chroot across to the image. You could use that after a bit of editing. Alternatively you can do it like the flavour maker script. I can dig out the actual script I used if you need it.
      The instructions in the Gentoo wiki which you linked here work. However, when I reboot the pi, I have to run hciattach again.
      We must try to run that on boot.

Also, could you please dig out the script you used. And one more thing, did you use the classic server image and installed the xfce gui.

jamesh
      Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
      Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 am

OK, had a quick read through this thread.

First a few of points.

I have no problem with people building their own distro's and promoting them here, as long as they keep the promotion within limits.

I will always recommend Raspbian for first time users, as it will always have the latest updates and Pi specific patches (not just kernel, but distro side as well).

The moderators will moderate what THEY think needs moderating. Not what posters think need moderating.

What I will not tolerate is some of the posts I've just read above which can only be described as mod baiting. Anyone who starts a post with "I don't care if you ban me or not" is simply asking for trouble. So don't do it. You only get one warning, please take notice of it.
      Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
      Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Other”