lexokomr

kano os on raspberry pi zero w

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

I’m trying to get my pi0-W working with kano. So far looking fairly bleak, especially since mine is the W(ireless), not just the zero.

Been snooping around for a couple of days. It looks like they had some versions (up to 3.7, judging from youtube vids) working on the zero (not the W). Now Kano seems to have completely dropped any mention of zero (original or w) on their official site. The site only offers version 3.14 for pi 2 & 3, and ver 2.1 for the pi 1. Neither works on the zero w: 3.14 hangs at rainbow screen (fails to load kernel?) and the 2.1 hangs at black screen.

I wanted to find any additional kano os kanux images, but all my searching turned up was this resource: http://dev.kano.me/public/
It does have ver. 2.2, one for the zero (with “PiZero” in the name) and one general. Both throw 2 errors on boot:

[ 0.127589] of_platfrom_populate failed: -22
[ 0199426] bcm2708-dmaengine bcm2708-dmaengine: failed to get irq for DMA channel 13

Both installs DO get past these errors and boot on my zero w, but wifi and bt are dead. Overall experience with either is slow and graphix are blurry. Couldn’t find a set of settings a la raspi-config to change much in settings that made things better (but I haven’t tinkered with it enough). The non-zero 2.2 image seems to work better (although as I write this I cannot remember specific behaviors that distinguished them off the top of my head).

The http://dev.kano.me/public/ site also has US english images going back to 3.10. Although I expected 3.10 to work as one youtuber referenced it as a zero compatible version, it also just hangs at the rainbow screen.

So, a version of Kano can work on the zero w! It would be nice to try other versions that seem to have worked on the original zero, as reported by youtubers and others, like kanux ver 3.4 and 3.7.

Although 2.2 works, I can’t give it version to my kids as is, at least until I can clean up the looks.
Then it would also be nice to avoid the errors that pop up. And add wifi… Theoretically it’s the same chip wifi/bt as the pi 3, so it should be already built it to kano.

So, if anyone has any relevant insights, please share! Specifically, I’d greatly appreciate pointers on these questions:

- where can kano ver 3.4 - 3.7 be downloaded? could any kano owners share theirs?
- any ideas on the errors that 2.2 throws:
[ 0.127589] of_platfrom_populate failed: -22
[ 0199426] bcm2708-dmaengine bcm2708-dmaengine: failed to get irq for DMA channel 13
- any chance I could add or activate wifi/bt driver for the zero w’s built in chip in 2.2?

WIth zero w’s becoming more widely available, I would imagine and hope more of us cheapskate parents would get on this to make it work :)

Lex

mattmiller

Re: kano os on raspberry pi zero w

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm

em - there's not a lot of love for Kano (on here) - they aren't considered as friends of the Raspberry Pi community - more like hanger's on (others may use more direct language but lets keep it friendly) :)

I don't know if they have their own forums/support - but that's the place to go to - not here

Now if you want ditch the stuff and move to the Good Side of The Force - download Raspbian and fill your boots :)

Note - this is just my personal viewpoint based on what I've heard :)

lexokomr

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 am

Thank you for the reply, I guess I was not aware of this ... turf dispute ... here. Come to think of it, I can definitely see now how the RasPi community would not be too keen on the whole kano thing. I'm ticked they've limited support of the zero / 0 w as much as they did. Searches lead me to believe while they used to have forums, they've gone by the way of the dodo. Which also does not contribute to maintaining a positive attitude toward it. And for the good folks donating their time and skills to raspi development which kano builds on top of, it must not be lead to the best of attitudes toward kano...

I tried Raspbian on my pi 0 w and loved it, have a dozen ideas for grown-up projects based on it plus, retropie, osmc, and other solutions. Love having a Microcenter selling pi0w's for $5 a mile away :) Will struggle as while my conceptual understanding of stuff may be there, but my linux experience is at 0. The challenge of that appeals to me though :)

But I'm a bit more concerned about having a tougher time getting my 5 and 7 y.o. kids getting excited about it without kano. We had a fun time building the pi's (*into the cases*), and finding the right hook ups. They were very excited when t hey saw kano running on it, even with errors and terrible pixelation. Guess will have to walk them through more stuff than I anticipated in the absence of a kid-simple error-free gui. Is there any other simple and fun distro that would be kid friendly?

Anyway, I'm having a blast tinkering, hopefully my enthusiasm will be infectious among my family.

Lex

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 pm

lexokomr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 am
Thank you for the reply, I guess I was not aware of this ... turf dispute ... here. Come to think of it, I can definitely see now how the RasPi community would not be too keen on the whole kano thing. I'm ticked they've limited support of the zero / 0 w as much as they did. Searches lead me to believe while they used to have forums, they've gone by the way of the dodo. Which also does not contribute to maintaining a positive attitude toward it. And for the good folks donating their time and skills to raspi development which kano builds on top of, it must not be lead to the best of attitudes toward kano...

I tried Raspbian on my pi 0 w and loved it, have a dozen ideas for grown-up projects based on it plus, retropie, osmc, and other solutions. Love having a Microcenter selling pi0w's for $5 a mile away :) Will struggle as while my conceptual understanding of stuff may be there, but my linux experience is at 0. The challenge of that appeals to me though :)

But I'm a bit more concerned about having a tougher time getting my 5 and 7 y.o. kids getting excited about it without kano. We had a fun time building the pi's (*into the cases*), and finding the right hook ups. They were very excited when t hey saw kano running on it, even with errors and terrible pixelation. Guess will have to walk them through more stuff than I anticipated in the absence of a kid-simple error-free gui. Is there any other simple and fun distro that would be kid friendly?

Anyway, I'm having a blast tinkering, hopefully my enthusiasm will be infectious among my family.

Lex

It is not a turf war.

This forum hosting is paid for by RPF/RPT, and the OS they have spent much time and effort on is Raspbian.

Therefore asking developers to fund their own support is not unreasonable.

Yes you may get help here but running Raspbian means that you get a greater number of volunteers who may be able to help.

At the end of the day excluding RPi models is not very friendly, I would call that cherry-picking.
Adieu

Return to “Other”