coolyyz321

Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 Error On Raspberry Pi

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 pm

I am having a problem with Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 on the raspberry Pi 2 B+ from a USB thumb drive. It shows the kernel error as shown in the photo below. I do not know what could be causing this? I have tried many SD cards and thumb drives. Even though both the SD and the USB drive I have is on the list of working devices on many sites. The USB drive i'm using is a 32GB Sandisk Elevate Ultra USB 3.0 flash drive, and the SD card is a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16Gb micro SD card.

First I got the Ubuntu mate image from the raspberry pi site, not the torrent file but the .xz file

Then I used 7-zip to extract the image file onto my desktop

Then I used Win-32 Disk Imager and wrote the image file to both the SD card and USB drive.

Then I went into the SD card and went into the cmdline.txt file and edited the line "root=/dev/sda2"
to "root=/dev/sda2"

Then I ejected both drives and stuck them into the raspberry pi and booted up.

Then the green led stays on and the red led blinks to show whats going on as usual, then it spits out the error shown in the photo.

Hopefully we can fix this problem, help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG (57.42 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

feelslikeautumn

Re: Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 Error On Raspberry Pi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:47 am

I have a feeling in U-M that the /etc/fstab file also needs changing.

feelslikeautumn

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:52 am

Why are you using a usb drive and a sd card together? Missed the pi 2 bit.

I put some notes together about booting the ubuntu server image - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi#USB_booting

coolyyz321

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote: Why are you using a usb drive and a sd card together? Missed the pi 2 bit.

I put some notes together about booting the ubuntu server image - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi#USB_booting
I got the new files listed in the notes, do I put them in both drives or just the SD card? And do I edit the cmdline.txt in the sd card?

feelslikeautumn

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry, can you give me a bit more background? What is the ultimate goal here? Boot without an sd card? Have you tried this on raspbian and got it working?

It seems you've got the kernel loaded, changed the cmdline, so I think that just leaves /etc/fstab to check.

coolyyz321

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:54 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm
Sorry, can you give me a bit more background? What is the ultimate goal here? Boot without an sd card? Have you tried this on raspbian and got it working?

It seems you've got the kernel loaded, changed the cmdline, so I think that just leaves /etc/fstab to check.
To boot from the USB drive with the SD card in the pi, since the pi is more stable with a USB drive, Raspbian does not work either it comes up with the same error as the ubuntu mate one.

feelslikeautumn

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Raspbian does not work either
That suggests to me that the raspbian kernel (which U-mate uses) doesn't support your hardware. Maybe others on here can chime in on this?

If you want to play with the Ubuntu server image then copy it to your sd card and check it boots. If it does then write it to your USB drive. Reformat/repartition the sd card so that you just have one big fat32 partition. This will be your boot partition so move the files from the USB boot partition to it. Change the cmdline.txt so that root=/dev/sda2. You don't need to update bootloader files.

Return to “Other”