momo314

DEBIAN (x86) and Processing?...

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I am having various problems installing and using Processing 3.3.5 on Pi 3 and Raspbian laptop.

On my laptop, running Raspbian x86, I find I cannot install Processing at all! Typing ./processing at the xterminal throws up a Java error about unexpected EOF when expecting a ")" symbol, and clicking on the Processing icon on the main menu does nothing. The shell script for installing Processing on Raspberry Pi obviously would not work, as it downloads the obviously incompatible armv6 version. Searching DuckDuckGo and Google brings few results, as most of the forum discussions about Processing and x86/64 Linux are Ubuntu-focused or too vague for a relative newbie like me to understand.

On my Pi 3, running Raspbian Jessie + PIXEL, installing and opening Processing works fine, but some of the example programs throw up an "out of memory" error, followed by several "glGetError 0x505's", although I guess this is only to be expected with a device with only 1GB RAM. Also, installing and using the Android mode brings up a blank window instead of the expected "Is the Android SDK installed" window, perhaps because of device architecture incompatibilities?

Any help would be great! (again)
1*Pi3 in a FUZE workstation, 1*Pi2 (unused), 1*pink hand-me-down Toshiba laptop running Raspbian x86!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspbian and Processing?...

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:44 pm

momo314 wrote:
I am having various problems installing and using Processing 3.3.5 on Pi 3 and Raspbian laptop.

On my laptop, running Raspbian x86, I find I cannot install Processing at all! Typing ./processing at the xterminal throws up a Java error about unexpected EOF when expecting a ")" symbol, and clicking on the Processing icon on the main menu does nothing. The shell script for installing Processing on Raspberry Pi obviously would not work, as it downloads the obviously incompatible armv6 version. Searching DuckDuckGo and Google brings few results, as most of the forum discussions about Processing and x86/64 Linux are Ubuntu-focused or too vague for a relative newbie like me to understand.

On my Pi 3, running Raspbian Jessie + PIXEL, installing and opening Processing works fine, but some of the example programs throw up an "out of memory" error, followed by several "glGetError 0x505's", although I guess this is only to be expected with a device with only 1GB RAM. Also, installing and using the Android mode brings up a blank window instead of the expected "Is the Android SDK installed" window, perhaps because of device architecture incompatibilities?

Where did you get Raspbian x86 ? Raspbian is compiled only to run on ARM CPU !!

This is the closest I could find: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

Pixel desktop should of been replaced with Raspberry Pi Desktop if you have fully updated Jessie since June 2017:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=186959
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

gkaiseril

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Check the download page. The RPF has been working on this for a long time.

Raspberry Pi Desktop It is Jessie for both Windows and MAC.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 pm

momo314 wrote:

On an x86 machine processing might not be available, that its available on an ARM machine doesn't automatically imply that its also available on an x86 machine. If it is available you should install the x86 version, not the ARM version.

also it NOT called x86 Raspbian, it's not Raspbian, it Debian for x86 machines, with a version of the same desktop installed on it that is used for Raspbian, but that does NOT make it x86 Raspbian!

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 pm

momo314 wrote:

What did you install and where did you find the download ??
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: DEBIAN (x86) and Processing?...

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 pm

moved to debian, and changed subject. to show we are talking about debian, please stop calling it raspbian, you are confusing others!

momo314

Re: debian with rpi desktop (x86) and Processing?...

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 am

Fine... though one of my problems was actually about the Pi 3...
1*Pi3 in a FUZE workstation, 1*Pi2 (unused), 1*pink hand-me-down Toshiba laptop running Raspbian x86!

momo314

Re: Debian with rpi desktop and Processing?...

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:44 am

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 pm
momo314 wrote:

On an x86 machine processing might not be available, that its available on an ARM machine doesn't automatically imply that its also available on an x86 machine. If it is available you should install the x86 version, not the ARM version.

also it NOT called x86 Raspbian, it's not Raspbian, it Debian for x86 machines, with a version of the same desktop installed on it that is used for Raspbian, but that does NOT make it x86 Raspbian!
Well... on the Processing downloads page, there are Linux 32-bit and 64-bit options...

And ok, Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop...

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am

Debian Jessie is x86 32bit

Raspbian is ARMHF

momo314

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Raspbian is ARMHF
Well my original post involves both...

rpdom

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
or x86 64bit.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:47 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
or x86 64bit.
Not in the context of the Raspberry Pi Desktop x86 Debian release.....

Return to “Other”