momo314

Raspbian Desktop for PC not working...

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:53 pm

I am new to this forum.

I can't install the Raspbian Desktop x86 on laptop, or get it working at all...

I downloaded the Raspbian x86 ISO from the official page here. Then I tried three methods of transferring the ISO via a 32GB USB, and all failed...

First I tried simply copying the ISO to a USB directly. The laptop responded with "No operating system found on USB"

Then I used Rufus.exe, following the guide on TechRepublic.com. The laptop responded by starting syslinux and then saying "Boot failure : No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!", followed by a boot: prompt.

Finally I used Etcher.io to transfer the ISO. Etcher.io said that the write completed succesfully, but there were errors while validating. Then when I opened File Manager (this is Windows 10) it said the size of the USB was ~400KB and formatting would not solve the problem.

I suspect that the USB is corrupt, but am not certain.

Any help would be great!
1*Pi3 in a FUZE workstation, 1*Pi2 (unused), 1*pink hand-me-down Toshiba laptop running Raspbian x86!

jviotti

Re: Raspbian Desktop for PC not working...

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Hey there!

(disclaimer: I'm a developer in the Etcher team) I'm sorry you're having problems. Etcher will make sure every single byte was written to the SD Card correctly as part of the validation phase, and you will get a validation error even if one bit is off. We've seen this usually happening on faulty/cheap SD Cards or SD Card adapters, or due to magnetic interference, for example. I'd suggest you try again a couple of times, and potentially try other cards or readers, and see how that goes.

Keep in mind that while there was a validation error, chances are that the drive will run fine (if nothing crucial was affected), but I do encourage you to try to get the validation phase to succeed to rule out any weird issues later on.

Regarding the USB size, Etcher flashes the image to the device as-is, without making any modifications. Images already come with their own partition tables, so if the image defines a partition of size X, then that's what you'll see on the final drive regardless of the total available size. This is even more confusing when using Windows, since that operation system is only able to detect the first partition of removable drives.

In the case of Windows, the built-in formatting tool re-formats existing partitions, so if the first partition is 400 KB, it will only offer the option to re-format those 400 KB. I recommend you to use Disk Management if you want to get your device into its initial state.

Have a great day!

momo314

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Yes thanks, discovered it was a dodgy USB, bought a better one and it worked perfectly.

Sorry for the trouble! (And thanks for the tip on formatting USBs.)
1*Pi3 in a FUZE workstation, 1*Pi2 (unused), 1*pink hand-me-down Toshiba laptop running Raspbian x86!

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 pm

momo314 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm
Yes thanks, discovered it was a dodgy USB, bought a better one and it worked perfectly.

Sorry for the trouble! (And thanks for the tip on formatting USBs.)
Glad it worked but it is not Raspbian Desktop for PC, Raspbian is a Debian based Distro for the ARM CPU of the RPi..

The x86 version is Debian with the Raspberry Pi Desktop Environment:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=186959

Maybe you could edit your first post title to save confusion ????
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

momo314

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes but that sounds a bit long... is there any shorter version? Raspbian x86 perhaps?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm

momo314 wrote:
Yes but that sounds a bit long... is there any shorter version? Raspbian x86 perhaps?
Nothing to do with Raspbian whatsoever as stated above.

Maybe: RPD x86 Debian issues ??

RPD = Raspberry Pi Desktop
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Moved to the debian forum, again this isn't Rasbian, it debian! Rasbian = debian for the PI with ARM processors.

Its debian with a specific desktop installed.

hippy

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 pm

While "Raspbian X86" isn't that, it's what many people call it, and I would expect everyone to know what it was actually referring to.

Last month's Mag Pi Issue 60 ( August 2017 ) uses "Raspbian X86" and also refers to Debian as if Raspbian a number of times.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:45 pm

hippy wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 pm
While "Raspbian X86" isn't that, it's what many people call it, and I would expect everyone to know what it was actually referring to.

Last month's Mag Pi Issue 60 ( August 2017 ) uses "Raspbian X86" and also refers to Debian as if Raspbian a number of times.
Then the MagPi is at fault for not proof reading, it does not make it correct, the RPF download page has it correct.

bensimmo

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Who cares, MagPi is by RPT now, so if the official people call it Raspbian x86 or x86 Raspbian for short (they use both and they supplied the disc with that issue) then so be it*.
Just a name, who cares, every one knows what it is with the x86 there. Reading "Raspberry Pi Desktop x86" every other line makes it long winded, so would Raspberry Pi Desktop ARM for Raspbian.
I'll leave it to RPF/T to worry about their branding and just call it Raspbian x86 myself, like many others, so much easier and no harm done :geek:

(saying that, it does need it's own section/sub-section, when the others are removed and Mods need to ask up to RPT/F to see what they should do with regards their branding and semantics as this section just dumps it as an unsupported release imho)

* main article, no 'author'
Last edited by bensimmo on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirkS

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 pm

bensimmo wrote:
RTP
Who or what is that?

bensimmo

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

DirkS wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 pm
bensimmo wrote:
RTP
Who or what is that?
Was editing it to RPT ;-) Hit Submit before Preview

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 pm

bensimmo

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Debian RPD is short enough as is Debian RPD x86

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192264#p1205531
But meaningless from an identity and marketing perspective.

Nothing to stop the Raspbian name evolving to a distribution name. Raspbian Pi, Raspbian Pi lite and Raspbian x86.
Most people do not care about the technicalities.
Last edited by bensimmo on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

momo314

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
momo314 wrote:

It is something to do with Raspbian, it looks like Raspbian, it works (the frontend does anyway) like Raspbian, just that it apparently isn't called Raspbian but Debian RPD x86 which just doesn't have the same ring to it.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:34 am

momo314 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
momo314 wrote:

It is something to do with Raspbian, it looks like Raspbian, it works (the frontend does anyway) like Raspbian, just that it apparently isn't called Raspbian but Debian RPD x86 which just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Raspbian looks like Debian with a LXDE Desktop :roll:

Welcome to Raspbian

Raspbian is a free operating system based on Debian optimized for the Raspberry Pi hardware. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your Raspberry Pi run. However, Raspbian provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 35,000 packages, pre-compiled software bundled in a nice format for easy installation on your Raspberry Pi.

http://raspbian.org/

hippy

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 pm

bensimmo wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Debian RPD is short enough as is Debian RPD x86

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192264#p1205531
But meaningless from an identity and marketing perspective.
And it's just one person's preferred acronym rather than anything officially used by the Foundation or anyone else. "RPD" also clashes with other acronyms, including RealPresence Desktop which could even add to the confusion.

There are also trademark issues because "Debian RPD" creates a misleading impression that RPD is something from Debian. Just like a third-party product can't be "A Raspberry Pi Gizmo" but has to be "A Gizmo for the Raspberry Pi".

Hence "Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac" which appears to be the official designation.

That is too much of a mouthful. It does need something shorter like the earlier "PIXEL X86". It's not surprising to me that "Raspbian" ended up replacing "PIXEL" when that naming got dropped, wrong though it is.

Perhaps we need a competition to choose a name which everyone can be happy with ?
bensimmo wrote:
Most people do not care about the technicalities.
Agreed, but I can understand those who do. It is not correct but it is impossible to stop. Repeatedly trying to correct people risks ending up looking like some kind of 'grammar nazi' with all the connotations and consequences which come with that.

Confusion always follows when technology spreads across multiple platforms, where one thing gets mistaken for something else, similar but different. We see that with "Chrome" and "Chromium", "Chrome" and "Chrome OS", "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 IoT", "IceWeasel" and "Firefox", "Android Things" and "Android".

In my experience, the best one can do is just politely note the error, "BTW: It's actually called X rather than Y", because anything else is likely to seem mere pedantry and unhelpful, provoking "whatever; just answer the question" feelings. And it is likely to derail and push discussion in a "does it really matter!" direction as here.

There is a place for pedantry and correctness but telling people "It's not Raspbian X86", "NOOBS is not an operating system", doesn't actually resolve whatever problem a member is having. That''s best as a footnote to a useful answer rather than presented purely to correct a poster who knew no better.

Part of being a welcoming and friendly community means having to tolerate mistakes and misunderstandings, being sympathetic to how and why mistakes arise. It's best to gently correct than jump down people's throats, especially when new members.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:42 pm

As always use the REPORT button if unhappy with a response.......

feelslikeautumn

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Part of being a welcoming and friendly community means having to tolerate mistakes and misunderstandings, being sympathetic to how and why mistakes arise. It's best to gently correct than jump down people's throats, especially when new members.
This.

As a new reader of the forum I am shocked by how threads are answered. The pi is supposed to be aimed at children, and yet a lot of threads are answered with contempt.

When I first started work, my manager pulled me aside and said to me that there was no such thing as a stupid question. It has always stuck with me as an excellent piece of advice.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but if you are snapping at people because you've been answering the same question for 5 years, then the problem is with you, not the person asking the question. It is time to get a new hobby. Remember, you are not obliged to post in every thread, so just leave it for somebody else to respond to.

bensimmo

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Hippy, RPD is actually used by the foundation in its 'Raspbian' distributions (not lite), the desktop part use it in the file names and packages iirc.

As for Raspbian,
It could be said Raspbian x86 is also a distribution with bundled apps and whatnots. The only difference is it doesn't specifically target the Pi.

Note I use Raspbian x86 as it was used by and official RaspberryPi publication by RaspberryPi Trading with with new latest release of Raspberry Pi Desktop (etc.) x86 as short hand.

It is for them to sort out and call it what they like, but no point telling people off for getting it "wrong" when they [Raspberry Pi] have used it themselves, in a magazine many people may be using the disc from.

The chat makes a change from Pi4's though.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 am

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:27 pm
This.

As a new reader of the forum I am shocked by how threads are answered. The pi is supposed to be aimed at children, and yet a lot of threads are answered with contempt.

When I first started work, my manager pulled me aside and said to me that there was no such thing as a stupid question. It has always stuck with me as an excellent piece of advice.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but if you are snapping at people because you've been answering the same question for 5 years, then the problem is with you, not the person asking the question. It is time to get a new hobby. Remember, you are not obliged to post in every thread, so just leave it for somebody else to respond to.
This is absolutely right. Long term posters should accept that there will be questions that have come up many times, BUT NOT FROM THE SAME PERSON. I am as guilty as the next man for saying use Google, as in many cases had the poster done that there question would already have been answered, but there are clearly still a lot of people out there who first port of call is to ask a forum question rather than do their own research. That is just the way they are, they should not feel that this is no the place for them.

I think I'm going to have chat with our social media team, and we may well start to deal with posters who answer with 'contempt'.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Other”