jscott13

Pixel in VM, can't run raspi-config?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I just installed the new Pixel x86 on a virtual machine and can't not run raspi-config.

I see nothing in the pull down on the desktop either.

I must have missed something obvious. Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance!

Martin Frezman

Re: Pixel in VM, can't run raspi-config?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with running it in a VM.

It's just the way that it is - there is no raspi-config in Pixel86.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

B.Goode

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with running it in a VM.

It's just the way that it is - there is no raspi-config in Pixel86.
+1

I have run "Pixel for x86" on a machine with a real hardware Intel "x86" (actually Celeron) CPU, and raspi-config is not apparently installed in that scenario either.

That might be because there actually is no Raspberry Pi hardware to be configured?

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

It doesn't exist on the bootable ISO because there's nothing configurable. There's a preferences dialog as part of the GUI.

If you've got timezone or keyboard problems try the raw sudo dpkg-reconfigure commands.

https://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges
https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Martin Frezman

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:10 pm

It doesn't exist on the bootable ISO because there's nothing configurable. There's a preferences dialog as part of the GUI.

If you've got timezone or keyboard problems try the raw sudo dpkg-reconfigure commands.
These 3 sentences are all mutually contradictory.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

jscott13

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:38 pm

I was hoping to getting audio. I wanted to fool around with Sonic Pi and noticed... no sound. Tried everything available from the GUI, no help. Sound is configured for the VM just as it is for my versions of Ubuntu and other distros.

Not a big thing, just wondering what path to take. I'll check out the options when I "sudo dpkg-reconfigure" and see if anything looks like it will help.

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

It's based on a DebIan live CD, it may be incompatible with your sound hardware.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

B.Goode

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 am

I was hoping to getting audio. I wanted to fool around with Sonic Pi and noticed... no sound.
Just to give you a comparison, I have run 'Pix86el' on two different real physical 'x86' based systems and in both cases Sonic-Pi ran as expected and generated sound through the on board speakers.

So my hunch is that this has more to do with your virtualized environment than the "Pixel for x86" distribution.

Edit: subsequent addition.
For another point of comparison could you install MS Windows into a similar VM and try running the windows version of Sonic Pi?

jscott13

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Windows version (sonic pi)??? Ahhh, that would be interesting. Odd a search hadn't turned that up.

No, I wasn't suggesting it was Pixel... or the VM. Just trying to figure it out.

Just installed another version of Debian live on a VM and I do have sound. Have sound on all other VMs... just not Pixel. And to clarify, it's not just Sonic Pi.

I had trouble with a Pi a while back (sound) and followed a command line troubleshooting routine that works well. I have to look up what I did that day and see if I can't learn more.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will return with what I learn in case this may help others at some point (though that seems unlikely ;-))

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Sonic Pi's sound setup is... interesting. Does simple alsa stuff work?

B.Goode

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Windows version (sonic pi)??? Ahhh, that would be interesting. Odd a search hadn't turned that up.
It is listed as an equal along with macOS and Linux on the project's website home page.

Not exactly obscure...

http://sonic-pi.net

jscott13

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Duck Duck Go showed no home site for this software, yesterday, or the day before. Perhaps someone isn't being indexed well???

Or is it more fun to make me look stupid???

Bye! :P

B.Goode

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:50 pm

It is an odd side effect of the algorithms used by search engines that they can display different search results to different users. But I don't suppose DuckDuckGo did it to make you look stupid.

On the other hand my comment about obscurity was unhelpful: please accept my apologies.

Return to “Other”