rock_rebel

Bodhi Linux worth a try?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am

I've been tinkering for a while with Bodhi Linux in a virtual machine. In terms of performance, does Raspbian fare better than other distributions? I think Bodhi ARMHF is still in it's alpha stage, but would love to try it out on the Pi, albeit it's not horribly slow.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Bodhi Linux worth a try?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 am

At the moment Raspbian is close on the fastest distro. Anyone is more than welcome to port their distro to Raspi of course- it's just a matter someone doing it!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

JeffHoogland

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:07 am

Our ARMHF build is built right on top of Raspbian - meaning the core is just as quick.

The E17 desktop is just as light (but better looking) than LXDE. Give it a try.

~Jeff

MrHarcombe

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:57 pm

FWIW, I've been playing around with a few other desktops, to try and make the Pi look a little more "whizzy" on the TV. I tried the MATE build that was bandied around on Raspbian but then saw the Bodhilinux distro mentioned and was very impressed by the looks and the all round performance...

So now I've uninstalled the MATE packages and I'm installing bodhi-desktop onto my main distro (to free up the SD card for other experiments).

Thanks for the efforts, guys - nice looking desktop!

BHaycock

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm

I will second that.. Bodhi with Enlightenment is fast and very attractive on the RPi. I have been an Enlightenment fan for years, but haven't really been happy with the distros available lately until Bodhi.

I am running it on my desktop now as well.

Huge kudo's to Jeff and the gang for bringing Bodhi and E to the Pi.

Montala

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Is there anywhere we can download a Bodhi image for the Raspberry Pi, which doesn't require too much user involvement please?

Unfortunately not all of us are Linux 'experts' and require more than a bit of hand holding!

Thanks! :)

JeffHoogland

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 pm

What do you mean by "user involvement"?

The Bodhi for Pi image is provide in the same form as most ARM images - in .img form to easily be written to a SD card.

~Jeff

Montala

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Sorry Jeff, I didn't express myself very well there.

I was thinking along the lines having to compile the image first, and that sort of thing, which I for one wouldn't have the skills or knowledge to implement.

I have now found your blog, with a link to the latest image download for the Raspberry Pi, and I will certainly be giving it a try.

JeffHoogland

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm

You can always find the latest Bodhi for Pi images on our ARMHF downloads page -> http://bodhilinux.com/downloads_mobile.php

~Jeff

Montala

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks Jeff... I was sure I had about this somewhere on here before, and have now realised that it was in a much earlier thread!

Hopefully your latest 'reminder' will encourage some more new users to give it a try.

JollyRoger

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Montala
Like you I'm not a Linux expert, but I thought I'd give Bodhi a try. I downloaded it today, and I must say my first impressions are pretty favourable, and I think Bodhi will be well worth persevering with. Here's a few initial comments:

1 The image on the download site is a .img.tar.gz file, which (on my Windows machine) I had to unpack twice using 7-Zip, first to get to the .tar file and then to get to the .img file. It then successfully wrote to an sd card using Win32DiskImager. I copied the config.txt file that I use with Raspbian onto the fat32 partition.
2 It then loaded without problems onto my Pi. Unlike Raspbian, there's no initial configuration file to set your time zone etc. I'm in the UK, but the clock on the Bodhi desktop shows GMT rather than BST, and there seems to be no way on the desktop to change this.
2 The Bodhi people have done a good job on their documentation to help you get started, but I found it much better to start off by exploring the various menu options for myself. Having done some initial exploration on my own and tried out various settings (and there are plenty of things to try!) I found the documentation easier to understand.
3 My first impressions of the Bodhi desktop ("Enlightment") are very favourable, and it seems pretty fast. It seems faster than Raspbian, but that's only an impression, I haven't measured anything.
4 An early job was to update all the packages (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade) that are included with this distro. The upgrade took almost an hour to complete, so although this latest Bodhi distro was only released about a week ago, the packages that come with it are well out of date. But that's a minor gripe - the guys behind this distribution have done a really good job.
5 Bodhi's package download facilities seem pretty good. To give them a try, I downloaded VLC, and everything went smoothly. Unfortunately VLC doesn't work any better in this distro than in Raspbian - if you want to play movies etc your best bet is one of the XBMC distros.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to getting to know this distro better over the next few days.

JeffHoogland

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Video Playback

OMXPlayer is installed on the Bodhi Pi image by default - you should be able to simply "double click" any Pi-support media file in the file manager and have it launch in OMXPlayer - you can then play/pause/everything else via keyboard shortcuts.

The Pi lacks the processing power to do video player back via normal players such as Mplayer or VLC.

~Jeff

Montala

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi JollyRoger,

Thanks for your post. To change the time zone, is it not just a case of typing dpkg-reconfigure tzdata at a command prompt, or if that isn't recognised apt-get install tzdata first, and then to configure locale settings: apt-get install locales and then dpkg-reconfigure locales ?

I know that works with some other Debian based packages, so I am assuming that they are more or less standard Linux commands?

Hopefully Jeff (or someone!) will correct me if I am wrong though.

JollyRoger

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks, Montala, your dpgk-reconfigure tzdata worked. I thought you said you weren't a linux expert.

Thanks Jeff for your note about omxplayer. It works, but it lacks functionality. Also the aspect ratio is wrong, and I don't know how to correct this.

Regards, and many thanks for your excellent work.

JollyRoger

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm

A further addition to my remarks on Bodhi a few posts earlier:

Raspi-config is implemented in this distro (sudo raspi-config), so you can set the time there, as well as expand the file system to fit the SD card.

One question: is it possible to disable the password when using sudo? That's one thing I really like about Raspbian - you can do all these sudo things without the pain of entering the password each time.

Regards.

JeffHoogland

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 pm

If you want things to be VERY unsafe with no password - edit the /etc/sudoers file - I believe I just commented out the line that enables this.

~Jeff

JollyRoger

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks a million, Jeff - editing the sudoers file worked! No more typing 'bodhilinux' for me! I know it's unsafe, but it's only me using the Pi, and I periodically backup my sd cards onto an external hard drive (via Win32DiskImager), so if there's any disaster I can easily restore a recent image. In any case, at the moment I only use the Pi for messing with - my Windows PC is for serious stuff. Having said that, I have in mind the possibility that when my PC finally dies (it's now 7 years old), the Pi and its distros may be mature enough for me not to need to replace it.

I'm really impressed with your Bodhi distro, though I've only spent a few hours messing with it, trying to do things like set a key binding to blank the screen by activating xdg-screensaver (I've failed so far). I realize this distro is still at Alpha release stage and you've got to implement lots more, but what you've done so far is first class. I can't wait for the Beta!

One on the things I miss from the Raspbian+LXDE distro is the cpu usage monitor gadget located in the taskbar. Have you any plans to implement such a gadget in Bodhi?

Many thanks to you and your team.

JollyRoger

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am

Further to my post above, I installed xscreensaver, and my keybinding efforts worked for that (by entering the command xscreensaver-command -activate). So I suppose that there is some bug connected with the implementation of xdg-screensaver.

Alvaro

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm

You can't beat the original. :)

JeffHoogland

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm

@Jolly -

You really should read through some of the Bodhi docs - it covers both things you want (setting up screen saver and a CPU monitor gadget). The CPU gadget is called simply "cpu" in the package manager - once you install it load the module and add it to your desktop or shelf.

~Jeff

JollyRoger

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks Jeff, I successfully installed the cpu module as per your instructions. You're quite right - I should now get down to reading the (excellent) Bodhi docs now I've had an initial play with this distro. Hopefully I won't be bothering you with any more fool questions!

Regards

JeffHoogland

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Very good - if you find anything confusing in the docs be sure to drop by #bodhilinux on freenode or make a post over on the Bodhi user forums - we have a very strong/active community that knows even more than myself about some things :)

~Jeff

gvanman

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 am

Hi all

I have successfully downloaded and installed the image on my SD card. What a nice looking OS. However, I am having endless trouble trying to get XBMC to work.

I have tried the "install now" as well as download the .bod file and install it manually. I'm getting dependancy errors. Im new to linux so I'm not too familiar with what I'm doing wrong. Have any of you managed to get XBMC to work on Bhodi?

Thanks

JeffHoogland

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 pm

The .bod installers are not prepared for ARMHF hardware (like the Pi). Install the application via synaptic or via the command line with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xbmc
~Jeff

gvanman

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:48 pm

This is what i get even after an update AND upgrade
==========================================================================
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1) but it is not installable
Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1.1~) but it is not installable
Recommends: python-qt3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
=============================================================================
Please help

Return to “Other”