Fri May 06, 2016 3:24 pm

?
Raspberry Pi 3 32GB with 32-inch Monitor
Rasberry Pi Zero 32GB

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: How does Ubuntu mate on a Pi 3 perform?

Fri May 06, 2016 4:23 pm

It's a bit of a "try it and see" question. Some people say there's no reason to use raspbian anymore, others say ubuntu mate is too slow and not as functional.

MartinPi

Fri May 06, 2016 4:24 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:It's a bit of a "try it and see" question. Some people say there's no reason to use raspbian anymore, others say ubuntu mate is too slow and not as functional.
Quite a big difference between the two; what's your personal opinion?
Raspberry Pi 3 32GB with 32-inch Monitor
Rasberry Pi Zero 32GB

gkreidl

Fri May 06, 2016 6:01 pm

MartinPi wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:It's a bit of a "try it and see" question. Some people say there's no reason to use raspbian anymore, others say ubuntu mate is too slow and not as functional.
Quite a big difference between the two; what's your personal opinion?
No, Ubuntu is just a snapshot of Debian unstable and then they are trying desperately to make it stable again.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

DazzF

Sun May 08, 2016 2:11 pm

IMHO the Pi3 CPU is capable, but 1GB of RAM, I personally thing that's where the issues will be once the stability gets there (and it will people are working hard to get it stable).

rnbwd

Thu May 12, 2016 1:37 am

My personal experience, on both the pi 2 and pi 3 - were than I felt like the mate release was overall a better desktop environment compared to raspbian, and my first reaction to downloading it was 'this feels like a real computer' - but with that said, it's not as reliable or consistent or quite as optimized for the pi as raspbian or even debian. To be fair I've never had a good experience with any debian GUI desktops, I mostly stay in terminal, but my recent attempt to download the latest 16.(x) ubuntu mate just stack overflowed and never booted on the pi3, so unless anyone as experienced any performance enhancements from the 16 branch - I can only assume that's probably not stable on pi's yet. There's also mate for debian, never tried it, but this thread is about ubuntu, and I think 15.10 branch works as well raspbian, with some pluses and minuses for both.

Snze

Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 pm

I like it very much... haven't tried Raspbian (or any other distros on the pi3, to be fair), but I've been happily web-browsing, LibreOffice writing and Kodi-ing for a good few days now on 16.04, and it's spot on for that stuff (that some folk will spend ten times the cash for down at PC World (*cough* my parents *cough*))

If you've a similarly modest use case, it's visually appealing (Raspbian looks a bit iffy imho), and as long as you don't go nuts and try and open more than a dozen firefox tabs at once or something, you can work within it's limitations and enjoy it as an attractive modern desktop. For £30-odd :D

Definately give it a punt.

josephantoney

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 am

Ubuntu Mate works perfect on Pi3 as a Desktop computer but when I take it for entertainment that's not good. Firefox fails in rendering youtube video fast and eats all 4 cores of CPU, apart from that its neat.

Kratos

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:56 pm

How about wallpaper slide shows, are those still jerky? What about normal use? Any better than the Pi2? Really considering buying a Pi3, but I first I need to convince myself I need it. :D

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Return to “Other”