MrWolf80

Clock time and locale

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi all! I installed Kali Linux 2.0.1 on my Raspberry Pi 2: I guess there's some process that synchronizes clock time with a server at boot, but I can't find it.
The problem is that time zone is wrong (one hour behind). If I set time, at reboot it synchronizes again, so, I need to know what process it is.

Then, for unknown reason, when I log in as root, locale is set to aa_DJ.UTF8.
I tried to set locale to it_IT.UTF8 editing /etc/default/locale, but only some settings are correctly set.
The odd thing is that I installed tightvncserver, and, when I log in as root, all the settings are set to it_IT.UTF8.

Thanks in advance. :)
I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems.

DougieLawson

Re: Clock time and locale

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:48 am

Why not throw Kali in the trash and install a copy of Raspbian Jessie. That a) works with NTP to sync the clock, b) has good networking support and c) has working locale, keyboard and time zone support.

What does Kali give you apart from a broken system?

If you insist on running Kali you'll need to post your same question on http://forums.kali.org/ where the folks that support it hang out.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

MrWolf80

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for your answer. Nope, I need Kali.

Actually, I also posted on Kali forum, but nobody answered. :cry:

Since my problems are quite generic, I thought to ask here.

RatsNext

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm a total noob to Kali, but I recently got it on my Raspberry Pi 3 and I've run into the same issue as you did. Did you ever find a solution?

sdse78

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 am

I have the same problem and I've yet to solve it... It's the Kali ARM image overall.

netgeak

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would respond in case someone else needs an asnwer.
I was able to fix the issue by selecting the locale at the initial log in screen and also running the "dpkg-reconfigure locales" command and selecting the right one.

Also, to DougieLawson. Just because you don't use or understand something doesn't make it garbage. Your reply provided absolutely nothing to the thread in the way of assistance. I use kali on raspberry pi and although some things need configuration it is far from broken. Don't discourage others just because it doesn't interest you or you have no experience with it.

MrWolf80, hopefully that resolves your problem and keep on exploring!

MrWolf80

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for your answer. :D
I don't have the Raspberry with me now and it's a long time I don't try.
From the documentation I saved, I can see I tried "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" to change time and locale.
I'll give a try when I'll have the Raspberry with me again.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:26 pm

netgeak wrote:
Also, to DougieLawson. Just because you don't use or understand something doesn't make it garbage. Your reply provided absolutely nothing to the thread in the way of assistance. I use kali on raspberry pi and although some things need configuration it is far from broken. Don't discourage others just because it doesn't interest you or you have no experience with it.
I gave you the URL where Kali is supported. Clue: NOT ON HERE.

BTW, well done for being the last person in 2017 added to my forum foes list.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

gkaiseril

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:31 pm

It should be noted that timezone offsets for Daylight Savings Time or British Summer time is local political issue, that that is each country or subdivision or a county, can decide on a yearly basis or less whether or not to adjust their local time or not and on what dates and time the time shifts will occur. So it is important that users regularly update their system or installed packages so any local timezone changes are properly picked up.

From the Kaki support forum:

How do you change the time in kali
I'm also facing this issue, finally I installed ntpdate and run it by giving my-country-ntp-server. It solve my problem.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ntpdate
 sudo ntpdate in.pool.ntp.org

netgeak

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:26 pm
netgeak wrote:
I gave you the URL where Kali is supported. Clue: NOT ON HERE.

BTW, well done for being the last person in 2017 added to my forum foes list.
BTW, you do realize that Kali for the Raspberry Pi is built from raspian? only the tools are cross compiled and provided by Kali. The OP wasn't asking a question about using Kali tools, it was about a system config.
If by helping others find an answer to a question and not disparaging then from exploring while pointing out the fact that your post offered nothing in the way of help makes me your foe then I say Good Deal! Im sure others prefer answers and options over poor opinions too.

Return to “Other”