Joe Schmoe

Re: Ubuntu MATE

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:27 am

gkreidl wrote:
labidus wrote: So far way better then the crappy very slow raspian os...
Prove it or stop telling such lies.
I think that proving that is going to be like proving how old the earth is.

If someone believes it is only 6000 years old, nothing you or I or anyone else tells them is going to change their mind.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

labidus

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:25 pm

It's easy to prove it.

I'am right now in mate with firefox, about 12 tabs open in 3 windows + code block, all at the same time. no lag.

With raspian, just open the browser is a pain in the ass... you will not able to do what I'am doig right now. Also my wifi connection is way better, on raspian it get disconnected randomly...

The os is fluide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2xLn ... sp=sharing

gkreidl

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:43 pm

That's exactly the kind of "proof" that doesn't prove anything.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

hercules71035

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi there,
teamviewer works on Ubuntu Mate on raspberry pi 2?
Or, alternatively, Chromium supports remote desktop?

Seranth

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 pm

h.f.groenewold wrote:Hi zardoz66,

Just to be curious... is chrome working? and even better... netflix?

As it is a official distro now! Should got DRM support...

cheers Henk
I looked this up and basically no, dont expect google chrome to ever arrive, and things like pipelight can never be installer on arm architecture.

Chromium works great but netflix is unlikely to ever work. There is a paid for workaround called PlayOn or something like that.

Also, streaming sucks, but with youtube-dl, omxplayer and codec licences you can get it to work great anyway, just no netflix.

InsideJob

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:12 am

I'm going to have to side with the Pope on the flat Earth issue. He's got authority. Galileo needs to get with the program if you ask me. That telescope thingy proves nothing, like all the stuff at ae911truth.org :lol:

Anywho, Ubuntu-MATE doesn't come with remote essentials like ssh by default, so apparently it thinks it's a desktop OS. It also doesn't have a bluetooth manager, though the hardware was detected properly. I don't like LXDE but Raspbian seems to have everything I need straight out of the box, no Internet connection required.

Little things like that make all the difference...

InsideJob

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Oops :oops: Apparently Ubuntu-Mate DOES come with Blueman. It doesn't appear in the application menu and the bluetooth applet doesn't come up when you do "add to panel" but they're both there. I installed the "advanced MATE menu" by accident and there it was. D'oh!

Since carrying my 39" HDMI TV down to Starbucks wasn't an option and there's no ssh, I downloaded the three armhf.deb files I needed (xrdp, xbase-clients and vnc4server) directly then installed them via dpkg -i
pi2.jpg
pi2.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 5130 times
I can now remote into my Pimate :D

InsideJob

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 pm

.. but I still can't do anything remotely. Now I get:
Failed to add new connection: (32) Insufficient privileges.
when trying to connect via WiFi. So I add advanced permissions for the user specifically to connect to WiFi and I get:
I make the user an administrator and I get:
I Google that phrase and find HUNDREDS of people complaining since at least 2011.

OK, then... back to the 2-16 version Raspbian I go, with wpa_supplicant GUI. Networking just shouldn't be this stoopid. If I even look funny at the /etc/network/interfaces file it breaks.

Kratos

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:20 am

Has anyone got Kodi working on Ubuntu MATE 15.10? I'm quite desperate for a solution/workaround...

Kratos

EDIT: I found a workaround:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=124572&p=861401#p861401
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Bouncer!95

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi,
I am completely new to raspberry pi and I haven't bought a raspberry pi 3 yet for desktop yet. I was wondering if I can use Ubuntu mate to learn Ubuntu command lines like Ubuntu on a laptop. And if I can do some programming like making a web application. I am an electrical and electronics engineer and I've mainly programmed microcontrollers and Android apps. And now I'm curious in Linux OS with open source coding.
Thanks

Fidelius

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Bouncer!95 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm
I was wondering if I can use Ubuntu mate to learn Ubuntu command lines like Ubuntu on a laptop. And if I can do some programming like making a web application.
Yes, because Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi 3 is all the Ubuntu applications from their Xenial armhf ports. On top of that (or underneath of it) is Raspbian's kernel and boot system.

So if you know Ubuntu Linux on a PC, you'll basically be familiar with Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry, and vice versa. I run Xubuntu 16 LTS on PCs and PIs and it works very well.

Good luck!

mzjo

Re: Ubuntu MATE sound on a pi 3

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Hello,

In my search for alternatives to raspbian I have now got Ubuntu Mate working (at the second attempt, something went drastically wrong with the log-in setup first time). All very well (on wired connection, haven't tried wifi yet) but I have no sound (through speakers on the monitor, through headphone jackon the monitor or through the jack on the pi. This is with the test buttons on the sound tool and on VLC and Rhythmbox. Is there a simple configuration manip to make or is there a problem with pi 3 that doesn't exist with pi 2?
I have sound working on raspbian and on librelec and osmc. I have sound working on video replay but not on the browser on quirky puppy (through the jack on the pi, just white noise with the browser).

I am aware that there are os images that won't work with the pi 3; I am discovering slowly.

In spite of using/playing with Linux for over 10 years I am not a geek and I don't use terminals and command line; I like things that work out of the box!

Any help gratefully accepted but please keep it simple; if I'm out of my depth just tell me straight!

Fidelius

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 pm

I had to add the following line to the /boot/config.txt file in order to get sound on Ubuntu Mate for Pi:

Code: Select all

# Pi3; load module »snd_bcm2835« for internal audiochip.
dtparam=audio=on

mzjo

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Fidelius wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 pm
I had to add the following line to the /boot/config.txt file in order to get sound on Ubuntu Mate for Pi:

Code: Select all

# Pi3; load module »snd_bcm2835« for internal audiochip.
dtparam=audio=on
Thanks Fidelius, that looks like what I need. I have been looking at this problem on the Ubuntu Mate forum and the solution they propose involves trying options in config.txt but they assume that the user knows the file resides in /boot and are a lot less specific with what works. I will try that and report back but it may not be for a while.

Return to “Other”