itsmedoofer

Ubuntu MATE

Tue May 19, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,

A wee bit of feeback, I tried the Ubuntu MATE image over the weekend and what a joy that is, HUGE kudos to the team that put it together for the Pi, worked seamlessly out of the box. Very easy to set-up, found all my devices, no messing, even bluetooth worked as intended....

There were a few little things missing, from what I could see, no raspberrypi-config so had to use my Mint laptop and GParted to resize the image, no big deal though, and it was a wee bit hungry on CPU according to the system monitor... If someone is after a nice desktop experience well worth a look.

Regards,

zardoz66

Re: Ubuntu MATE

Wed May 20, 2015 5:23 am

I agree, this is woderful desktop distro IMO. its not a problem to resize the file system, just not automated yet.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/

Re-size file system

There are no utilities included for automatic file system re-sizing. However, it's not hard to do manually. Once booted:

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

h.f.groenewold

Wed May 20, 2015 10:22 am

Hi zardoz66,

Just to be curious... is chrome working? and even better... netflix?

As it is a official distro now! Should got DRM support...

cheers Henk

kusti8

Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am

h.f.groenewold wrote:Hi zardoz66,

Just to be curious... is chrome working? and even better... netflix?

As it is a official distro now! Should got DRM support...

cheers Henk
Chromium has been installable since the beginning. Both Ubuntu builds just give an updated version. Chrome is just not available and probably never will be since it's not open source.

Netflix won't work because it has DRM requirements that are only in Chrome. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=98559
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

h.f.groenewold

Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm

that is a bummer... chrome works on Ubuntu MATE and Netfix plays very well on 64 bit version (tested yesterday)...

Mequa

Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 am

I successfully got Minecraft working on this.

I'm not sure if all of these steps are necessary, but this should get Minecraft Pi up and running on Ubuntu MATE on the Raspberry Pi 2, if anyone wants to try it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python python3
wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/m/minecraft-pi/minecraft-pi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb
wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/m/minecraft-pi/python-minecraftpi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb
wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/m/minecraft-pi/python3-minecraftpi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i minecraft-pi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb python-minecraftpi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb python3-minecraftpi_0.1.1-4_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vchiq
minecraft-pi
Minecraft Pi is then added to the Games menu too.

I tried taking a screenshot, however it didn't capture the overlayed 3D graphics. It appears to work though just as well as on Raspbian.

Mequa

Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am

I also got Sonic Pi working on Ubuntu MATE on the Raspberry Pi 2:

:)

(The tricky part was locating "libqscintilla2-8_2.6.2-1_armhf.deb", which is an obsolete dependency on Ubuntu 15.04.)

Gary Littlemore

Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Sorry to jump in here, has anyone got flash working with a browser? If so, which one and what was the process to get it working?
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 29, 2015 12:38 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Sorry to jump in here, has anyone got flash working with a browser? If so, which one and what was the process to get it working?
Install Chromium Browser and see: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202&p=697012

This is Google PepperFlash and not Hardware Accellerated so the quality of playback may not be what you expect.... ;)
Adieu

Joe Schmoe

Fri May 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Or you could have just said:

The answer is: No.

To the questioner: No, there is no way to run Flash effectively on the Pi.
If there were, I'd be a happy man, but there isn't.

There are ways to run YouTube videos, none of them entirely perfect, but some generally good enough, if that is what you are really asking.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Or you could have just said:

The answer is: No.

To the questioner: No, there is no way to run Flash effectively on the Pi.

There are ways to run YouTube videos, none of them entirely perfect, but some generally good enough, if that is what you are really asking.
NO is not an acceptable answer, despite hundreds of posts, people still want the RPi to be a Desktop PC and will not believe otherwise ;)

So let them install PepperFlash and they find out for themselves that it is crippled, then just offer alternatives.........
Adieu

Gary Littlemore

Fri May 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:To the questioner: No, there is no way to run Flash effectively on the Pi.

I'm trying to get tvcatchup.com to stream channel content on a browser.

Joe Schmoe

Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:To the questioner: No, there is no way to run Flash effectively on the Pi.

I'm trying to get tvcatchup.com to stream channel content on a browser.
Glad you mentioned that. I've never heard of that site, but I am doing something quite similar - watching a broadcast show via Flash on a browser.

As I said, if I could get it working on the Pi, I'd be a happy man.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Mequa

Fri May 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:Sorry to jump in here, has anyone got flash working with a browser? If so, which one and what was the process to get it working?
Yes, with Chromium on Ubuntu MATE. The process was identical to the one for Raspbian here, with one difference: the package is "chromium-browser" instead of "chromium", installable as follows.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
So, from MATE Terminal:

wget http://odroidxu.leeharris.me.uk/PepperFlash-12.0.0.77-armv7h.tar.gz
tar -xzf PepperFlash-12.0.0.77-armv7h.tar.gz
cd PepperFlash
chmod +x *
sudo cp * /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
sudo nano  /etc/chromium-browser/default
Comment the line starting with "CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" (add # before the line).
Add the following line:

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=12.0.0.77 -password-store=detect -user-data-dir"
Save (CTRL+O)

Open Chromium
enter
chrome://plugins

The pepperflash-plugin should be visible. Enable it.

---

Performance (including in Chromium generally) is better under Ubuntu MATE than under Raspbian, for sure.

If you want even more performance you can try installing LXDE and logging out to switch to that (I recommend the Lubuntu themed version over vanilla LXDE, this will install both):

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop lxde
For playing videos and Flash games, it's quite choppy though. Forget it for HD content.

I noticed that it does support old Shockwave content, too, which will perform very well on the Raspberry Pi 2. You can try some of these archived from StickDeath.com (warning: violent/adult content!). Use CTRL and + to zoom in, this will enlarge the vector graphics nicely in the browser window. Try fullscreen mode, too.

There is some audio latency, although that could be a general OS-wide issue.

For videos you're going to want HTML5 instead where possible, and again without hardware acceleration forget about HD content for HTML5 videos too.

I wonder if there will be any newer versions available after PepperFlash-12.0.0.77. Still, it's nice to have some Flash support on the Pi 2 at last.

Mequa

Sun May 31, 2015 11:58 am

I'm not sure if there would be any licensing issues here with Oracle, however Oracle Java from the Raspbian repos does work just fine on Ubuntu MATE on Raspberry Pi 2. I successfully tried both versions below.

For Java 7:

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/o/oracle-java7-jdk/oracle-java7-jdk_1.7.0+update40_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i oracle-java7-jdk_1.7.0+update40_armhf.deb
sudo update-java-alternatives -s jdk-7-oracle-armhf
For Java 8:

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/o/oracle-java8-jdk/oracle-java8-jdk_8_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i oracle-java8-jdk_8_armhf.deb
sudo update-java-alternatives -s jdk-8-oracle-arm-vfp-hflt
Edit: If you get "command not found" when running update-java-alternatives, try this instead and select the relevant "jdk" from the text menu:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Last edited by Mequa on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gary Littlemore

Sun May 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Mequa wrote:For Java 8:

wget http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/o/oracle-java8-jdk/oracle-java8-jdk_8_armhf.deb
For the last command

it says command not found?

Mequa

Sun May 31, 2015 7:16 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:

For the last command

You can try this instead, selecting jdk-8 from the text menu. Does this work?

I found that workaround here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1574926

Mequa

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:00 am

Kodi also works on this (after installing some dependencies), using Michael Gorven's repo to install kodi and kodi-bin, although the YouTube plugin fails on Kodi 14.2 on this Ubuntu so I had to downgrade to Kodi 14.1. For some reason I couldn't get Kodi UI sounds to work. From my tests I recommend a memory split of 128MB for GPU.

In my tests:

Working so far on Ubuntu MATE (as from Raspbian):
- Minecraft Pi
- Sonic Pi
- Pi Store
- Kodi
- Pi3D
- Oracle Java 7 and 8
- Chromium Pepper Flash
(Of course you can also install LXDE, Scratch, IDLE/IDLE3, Geany, NetSurf, Dillo, etc.)

Not working for me:
- Web/Epiphany with HW video acceleration (library issues)
- Raspbian UI mods (installs but does not work, may need workaround for LXDE on Ubuntu)
- Wolfram Language and Mathematica (licensing and library issues. I contacted Wolfram re: potential Ubuntu Pi 2 support)
(In addition to the licensing issue, wolfram-engine requires libharfbuzz0a which clashes with installed libharfbuzz0b)

Performance seems much better using LXDE (Lubuntu theme or standard) rather than MATE.

Gary Littlemore

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Mequa wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:

For the last command

Sorry about the delay, i've only just has a chance to look at this. I've tried as you suggested and I received the following:

There is only one alternative in link group java (providing /usr/bin/java): /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java
Nothing to configure.

Mequa

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 am

Gary Littlemore wrote:
Mequa wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:For the last command

Sorry about the delay, i've only just has a chance to look at this. I've tried as you suggested and I received the following:

There is only one alternative in link group java (providing /usr/bin/java): /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java
Nothing to configure.
That should work anyway as there is only one Java VM installed.

You can test it with my Java app (note: the font might be too big in the buttons with OS settings, this is normal):

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51441369/Epicurus.jar
java -jar Epicurus.jar
It should show the official Oracle Java icon in the top-left corner of the window, looking somewhat like this: Image

I put a fix for update-java-alternatives on this thread. Try this for Oracle Java 8 (no need to repeat the wget and sudo dpkg if already installed):

sudo apt-get -y install java-common

Montala

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm

This looks to me like a very interesting option and I am looking forward to trying it out!

I am sure it would quickly become a lot more popular though if some clever folk could add an automatic resizing option, so that an image could be transferred straight to a micro SD card and run in a similar way to Raspbian.

This would be very useful for those who do not have access to a second Linux computer, or are not too confident at dealing with this sort of thing.

Hopefully someone, somewhere is working on this!

DrHow

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:56 am

This is about my experience with flash and Firefox vs. Chromium.

I was able install the Pepperflash plugin as described in this topic. There is an interesting sense in which it seems to perform better than HTML5. The context is internet speed testing. I pay for 50Mbps down. With the Flash-based test at speedtest.net, the test achieves the full 50Mb, which I think is pretty impressive for the RPi. However, using the HTML5-based test at speedof.me, Chromium struggles to achieve 20Mb and is usually worse. The speedof.me test does not work correctly for me in Firefox.

Chromium has not been reliable for me. I have had 3 crashes with it. For 2 of them, the system locked up so badly that I had to power down and reboot. For one of them, I was able to kill the Chromium process (which was locked up) using the MATE System Monitor. I have had no crashes with Firefox, so I prefer it for most browsing.

The browsers can get pretty bogged down if you visit a site with pages that are too complicated. Things like changing font size or scrolling/paging can be painfully slow. One way I discovered to avoid some of those problems with Firefox was to get it to pretend to be on a mobile device. I installed the User Agent Switcher addon, and selected iPhone 3. It helps a lot, as the more sophisticated sites will tone down their fancy stuff. Normally Firefox will reset user agent to the default on exit. You can make it keep the iPhone setting if you create in about:config a new boolean item with name useragentswitcher.reset.onclose and value false.

aworan

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

Hi all,
I installed ubuntu mate on my rpi2 few weeks ago and it works great.
I wonder if anyone have managed to install gstreamer1.0-omx on ubuntu mate ?
gstreamer1.0-omx provide hardware acceleration for video decoding / encoding.
it's avaiable on raspbian system on repository but it's not on ubuntu mate ! I don't know why.
So I try to install raspbian jessy package and build it from source successfully but I have the same result, when I list the gstreamer plugins with :

gst-inspect-1.0 |grep omx
it return nothing so gstreamer don't see the omx plugins.

Any ideas ?

Gabriel

labidus

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:12 am

Ubunto mate is really amawing, I downloaded Code::Block and code directly from there and it is fast, browsing with firefox not an issue. So far way better then the crappy very slow raspian os...

Anyone using ubuntu mate with GPIO using /dev/mem?

It is not working for me. I try to set the GPIO pin directly from memory to get a higher PWM. Using memory you can get very high frequency compared to the other way. But it fail with the mmap function.

It seam related to this CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM, sound like we need to compile the kernel to set this to false

Anyone having this issue?

gkreidl

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:37 am

labidus wrote: So far way better then the crappy very slow raspian os...
Prove it or stop telling such lies.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Other”