Horrorzilla

RaspEX

Thu May 07, 2015 2:38 am

Has anyone else tried RaspEx - http://raspex.exton.se/?p=1 ? I am using it now and it may be the fastest OS I have tried. There is a problem with update and upgrade as it logs you out every few minutes after performing them. Other than that my limited testing has so far been quite pleasant. Also GPU acceleration has not been supported but hopefully exton or someone on here more knowledgeable than me can get it and the update and upgrade issues fixed.

ktb

Re: RaspEX

Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 am

You may not want to get your hopes up. I think it's safe to say that those Exton projects are not going to receive much outside help for obvious reasons.

Horrorzilla

Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 am

Not sure what the "obvious reasons" are but I see no reason to dismiss it. I like to think that the more options we have the better we will be able to fully utilizeutilize the power of the Rpi 2

ktb

Thu May 07, 2015 5:24 am

Exton made the mistake of repackaging other people's work (which is freely available) as his/her own and then tried to sell it (though apparently the latter is no longer true for RaspEX). This "OS" does not provide anything unique which can't be found and put together yourself. With a little bit of effort it's possible that you might actually do a better job and have an OS you can upgrade without breaking it. RaspEX might have GPU/HW acceleration added when the Anholt VC4 driver and kernel support are ready, but it is doubtful it will happen any other way. Have you tried Debian Jessie or any of the available Ubuntu versions/flavors on your Pi2B? They all perform very well from my perspective.

I've tried Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu MATE 15.04 on the Pi2B. I have nothing more to offer than my anecdotal opinion, but Debian Jessie has been performing best for me.

Horrorzilla

Thu May 07, 2015 2:43 pm

I have tried them all but Jessie, which i plan to do tonight. As for selling raspex I was not aware of that. I found raspbian sluggish and UbuntuMate has same problem when updating and upgrading as raspex does. I will certainly set up Jessie tonight and thanks for the tip about exton trying to charge for raspex - definitely not cool.

ktb

Thu May 07, 2015 5:57 pm

I agree with you about Raspbian (when compared with some of the available alternatives for the Pi2B).

I was not aware of an upgrade problem in Ubuntu MATE, but I haven't used it for a week or so.

Horrorzilla

Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 pm

I haven't tried UbuntuMate since it was added to NOOBS - will try again tonight probably. Loved the look and speed of it, just the sudo update and upgrade were the problem.

rbscebu

Sat May 12, 2018 1:45 am

I wanted to try a Ubuntu flavoured OS on my Pi3B+ After a quick search, I downloaded raspex-ubuntu-18.04-LTS-lxde-4400mb-180328.img and gave it a try-out. I found that It is a very fastest and clean OS.

The RaspEX OS is still buggy, particularly when trying to install other programs using Synaptic Package Manager. I have also found that I cannot add users in the Users Settings.

I really like RaspEX for the Pi3B+. Just hope that some of the bugs can be overcome.

Return to “Other”