Beakster

Re: AROS - A lightweight multitasking OS, perfect for the Pi

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

Hi,

I did a search on the forum for AROS and didn\'t get any results so thought I\'d mention it to bring it to the attention of those not in the know.

AROS is an open source operating system which is designed to be API compatible with Amiga OS 3.1. If any of you used an Amiga in the 80s and 90s you will know what was capable with very limited resources. The OS boots to a multitasking UI in a matter of seconds and is very lightweight. The 128Megs of the Model A Raspberry Pi will be more than enough for AROS. There are a lot of threads on here now about the memory \"limitations\" of the Pi with regards to running Gnome on Linux etc, if ported to run natively AROS would be the perfect OS for the Pi. The Amiga feel of the OS could really revive that bedroom programmer culture that we haven\'t seen much of since the early 90s.

Porting AROS to ARM has started and it currently runs hosted in Linux and Android, but the necessary work to run it natively on ARM isn\'t yet complete. If there are any programmers out there who want to get involved head over to http://aros.sourceforge.net/ to find out more. It is already running well natively on x86 so if you have an old computer or a VM give the Icaros distro a try: http://www.icarosdesktop.org/

[img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm26 ... k/aros.jpg[/img]

headkase

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 am

I loved my Amiga 500. It came with 512KB of RAM which I upgraded (through the belly-slot) to 4MB. Installed a \"fat\" Angus into it and cut the circuit trace to give myself 1MB of Chip RAM. Eventually moved up to an Amiga 1200 and then Commodore committed Hari Kari.

I guess it comes down to how much of a \"educational\" aspect there is to AROS. Back in the original Amiga days I ran AMOS Basic and that taught me quite a bit about programming in general. The \"learning about computers\" part is something it would have to satisfy. I\'m not familiar with AROS, what does it come with for programming? And how proprietary to AROS is it? The strong point of ARM Linux is that at worst you\'d have to modify your source just a little to export it to a different arch, from there it\'s API compatibility which gives you your portability. Without that portability, even with lessons learned from AROS, where would you go with them?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:14 am

AROS is new to me, too. It\'ll be interesting to have a play with it when a port is ready.

I found an Amiga in our loft the other day - not sure whether it\'s my old one or Eben\'s. It\'s the sort of thing it\'s impossible to throw out for reasons of nostalgia.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kelytha

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 am

I would be more than happy if the AROS port to ARM would become a reality.

Till then, I plan to use a minimal Linux install with PUAE to run an Amiga environment.

I am actually thinking about disassembling an Amiga 1200 and rebuilding it around a Raspberry Pi.

Lakes

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Yup, still got my Amiga A1200 in storage, started with an A500, those were the days. :)

kelytha

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 am

[quote]Quote from headkase on October 25, 2011, 08:26
I\'m not familiar with AROS, what does it come with for programming? And how proprietary to AROS is it? The strong point of ARM Linux is that at worst you\'d have to modify your source just a little to export it to a different arch, from there it\'s API compatibility which gives you your portability. Without that portability, even with lessons learned from AROS, where would you go with them?[/quote]
there is a complete port of the GNU toolchain with AROS, so it\'s very easy to write portable programs with it. There are also many portable libraries at hand, like SDL.

Using the good old Amiga tools and libraries is just one option out of the many.

SlayingDragons

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 am

Linux isn\'t really limited on such a small platform, and it\'s used in a ton of embedded devices. The problem is people are going to try to run all their favorite incredibly bloated desktop distros designed for machines with a lot more ram, all the way down to the kernel. These load a lot of unnecessary modules at boot, and end up eating a lot of ram. On a more limited machine, these just aren\'t going to work. With a customized kernel (the raspi will only have one set of hardware) and a lightweight approach to what packages to install by default, one could make a lightweight distro that could run in maybe ~30mb or less of ram. Just look at Damn Small Linux or TinyCore Linux, both of which run in less than 20mb of RAM. (But unfortuately are only for x86.)

I\'ve looked at AROS though and it does look cool, I may try it out. It just annoys me when people call linux limited on this platform because of ram, but only talk about Ubuntu or some other behometh of a distro :P

Beakster

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

[quote]Quote from SlayingDragons on October 25, 2011, 12:32
Damn Small Linux or TinyCore Linux, both of which run in less than 20mb of RAM. (But unfortuately are only for x86.)[/quote]

Very true, I\'ve been impressed with what has been achieved by some of the cut down linux distros and look forward to seeing what can be achieved. My comparison really comes from the fact that a fully fledged AROS desktop compares with a cut down X window manager environment, so a cut down AROS could be even more impressive. I\'m also very excited to see a port of RiscOS if that appears as I imagine it too will be very lightweight and fast on the Raspberry Pi. :D

mrmango

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 am

Tried AROS, its nice.

It works really well and the requirements are so low. Shame I am not much of a programmer. If I was, I\'d be helping out on the port.

mrmango

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 am

Sorry double post removed.

kelytha

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 am

[quote]It works really well and the requirements are so low. Shame I am not much of a programmer. If I was, I\'d be helping out on the port.[/quote]
AROS development works on a bounty system, so it is also possible to help a port by adding more money to it\'s bounty.

obarthelemy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 am

Same old canard: GPU driver. Can Aros use the Linux driver, or will it run into the same old brick wall ?

kelytha

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 am

AROS uses Gallium3D, so if I understand correctly, they can use some of the Linux drivers. For example they use Nouveau for Nvidia cards.

Beakster

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:56 pm

I imagine the first ports will just use the framebuffer. Liz mentioned there will be an area of memory we can write to that will then get put on the screen by the GPU. It would be great if we can get some 3D acceleration too though.

I\'m worried about the sound. So far as I understand it the multimedia features of the broadcom chip will not be fully documented so we may have to use external USB sound cards.

terminills

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:33 pm

I know this is an old thread however I figured this may be of interest to some.

https://www.patreon.com/michal_schulz

terminills

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:59 pm

I wouldn't think so as the link was to the developer who is looking into picking up the AROS port for the Raspberry PI. This is the same developer who produced the very first native version of AROS ever. Plus he also did the Efika, X86_64, Sam440 ports. but hey all good. :)
Last edited by terminills on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewmur

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:14 pm

SlayingDragons wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 am
Linux isn\'t really limited on such a small platform, and it\'s used in a ton of embedded devices. The problem is people are going to try to run all their favorite incredibly bloated desktop distros designed for machines with a lot more ram, all the way down to the kernel. These load a lot of unnecessary modules at boot, and end up eating a lot of ram. On a more limited machine, these just aren\'t going to work. With a customized kernel (the raspi will only have one set of hardware) and a lightweight approach to what packages to install by default, one could make a lightweight distro that could run in maybe ~30mb or less of ram. Just look at Damn Small Linux or TinyCore Linux, both of which run in less than 20mb of RAM. (But unfortuately are only for x86.)

I\'ve looked at AROS though and it does look cool, I may try it out. It just annoys me when people call linux limited on this platform because of ram, but only talk about Ubuntu or some other behometh of a distro :P
It's called "Damned if you do and damned if you don't". Linus Torvalds himself has commented many times on the problem of trying to keep the kernel small and at the same time including support for all of the possible hardware available. I can't count the number of times I've heard complaints stating "Linux would be great but it doesn't support my favorite gadget". Wifi adapters and printers were a particular bane.

You could develop a very small footprint kernel for the Pi and the instant result would be a flood of complaints of "But I can't get it to work with my Fubar device". As I said, you can't win for losing.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Despite this being I think the world's oldest necro it's still valid so please no more reports on the subject.

I've also moved this to the operating systems other section, since when this topic was first posted that section didn't even exist!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

DavidS

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:05 pm

I have been waiting for a true native RPi port of AROS since the first glimmer of an ARM Linux hosted port was announced.

i am glad that there is some mention, some continuing activity.
26-Bit R15 to 32-bit. 16-bit addressing to 24-bit. ARM and 65xx two CPU's that continue on, and are better than ever. Assembly Language forever :) .

Return to “Other”