chooky536

how can i run android on the pi

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Im just wondering how to load android onto my rpi2 i ask here because when i click the android section it doesnt load properly i was going to do some research myself but i cant seem to load the android page properly

ame

Re: how can i run android on the pi

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:23 pm

I wonder what would happen if you typed "android rpi2" into Google.

ktb

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 pm

The Android section of the forum has been closed seemingly because it was too much of a nuisance and people were tried of answering the same questions. Those still interested in this pursuit have moved their discussion here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-rpi

I can't explain why that section of the forum appears as visually messed up as it does, but maybe a moderator can explain it.

Good luck with Android on your Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am

chooky536 wrote:Im just wondering how to load android onto my rpi2 i ask here because when i click the android section it doesnt load properly i was going to do some research myself but i cant seem to load the android page properly
Though Android can be installed, there is no usable Graphics Stack, see

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 80#p726380

The Android Forum was locked because after 3 years no fully usuable version of Android was released by the community developers.
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 am

You do not want to run Android on the Raspberry PI.

Android uses a specialized linux kernel to allow Google to run its Dalvik virtual machine. Android is less about gnu/linux and more about Java... or their version of it.

Android is also specialized for a specific kind of hardware (phones and tablets). Android development requires a specific set of buttons, sensors, and video hardware to function correctly. Raspberry PI does not have the correct hardware configuration to correctly support Android. That is NOT to say that it couldn't be hacked to make it work, but man, what a headache. NO, don't even think about it.

If you want to run Android, get yourself a good Samsung tablet or Galaxy phone and enjoy (I love mine!).

The OS for Raspberry PI is Raspbian gnu/linux. (there are others, but I just gave you the best)

Cheers,
marcus
:)
marcus
:ugeek:

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 am

Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:10 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:You do not want to run Android on the Raspberry PI.

Android uses a specialized linux kernel to allow Google to run its Dalvik virtual machine. Android is less about gnu/linux and more about Java... or their version of it.

Android is also specialized for a specific kind of hardware (phones and tablets). Android development requires a specific set of buttons, sensors, and video hardware to function correctly. Raspberry PI does not have the correct hardware configuration to correctly support Android. That is NOT to say that it couldn't be hacked to make it work, but man, what a headache. NO, don't even think about it.

If you want to run Android, get yourself a good Samsung tablet or Galaxy phone and enjoy (I love mine!).

The OS for Raspberry PI is Raspbian gnu/linux. (there are others, but I just gave you the best)

Cheers,
marcus
:)
Actually, the Videocore4 GPU used on the Pi is used in a number of Samsung Android devices, so the HW is capable, especially on the Pi2. But the benefits of the Foundation (or Brcm) doing the work to port all the code is not worth the expense.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Other”