Girik8040

install windows on rpi with Linux

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:25 pm

hi all

how to install wor project on ubuntu

i want to install windows on rpi but i do not have a windows machine,but i have a Ubuntu 21.04 pls tell me a way to install windows on rpi with ubuntu.I also tried using gnome boxes (virtual box) but it is so slow that it took around 4 hours to get 1 percent.

thanks
Giri Krishna

fruitoftheloom

Re: install windows on rpi with Linux

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Girik8040 wrote:
hi all

i want to install windows on rpi but i do not have a windows machine,but i have a Ubuntu 21.04 pls tell me a way to install windows on rpi with ubuntu.I also tried using gnome boxes (virtual box) but it is so slow that it took around 4 hours to get 1 percent.

thanks
Giri Krishna

Microsoft do not Officially Support WindowsOnArm Operating System :?
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:17 pm

Traditionally, anytime someone posts a thread like this, they are quickly told both:

1) It can't be done. (I.e,. you can't do it)
and
2) You can't talk about it here.

(With a healthy dose of: Why would you want to? thrown in for good measure)

However, lately, some folks seemed to have figured out a quasi-legel, quasi-legit, almost-sort-of, way to sort of run something resembling "Windows 11" on some versions of the Pi, and although this is still not mainstream, so far the mods haven't shut them down (as has always happened in the past).

So, if you look around on the forum, you'll find various threads discussing it.
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Linux zealot and proud of it.

wildfire

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:26 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to throw that in...

WHY?
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

bjtheone

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:51 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Traditionally, anytime someone posts a thread like this, they are quickly told both:

and

However, lately, some folks seemed to have figured out a quasi-legel, quasi-legit, almost-sort-of, way to sort of run something resembling "Windows 11" on some versions of the Pi, and although this is still not mainstream, so far the mods haven't shut them down (as has always happened in the past).

The issue has always surrounded if you can do it legally, since the forum is fairly sticky about that. As best as I understand it right now, you can sign up under some dev program with Microsoft and get a version of 11 that has the TPM and UEFI disabled. I haven't the faintest idea of what T&Cs you have to agree to to get this access and what you are allowed to do with it. Given the current existence of the program, playing with it on a Pi is potentially ok, and hence current discussions are not being quashed.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:51 pm
GlowInTheDark wrote:

and

The issue has always surrounded if you can do it legally, since the forum is fairly sticky about that. As best as I understand it right now, you can sign up under some dev program with Microsoft and get a version of 11 that has the TPM and UEFI disabled. I haven't the faintest idea of what T&Cs you have to agree to to get this access and what you are allowed to do with it. Given the current existence of the program, playing with it on a Pi is potentially ok, and hence current discussions are not being quashed.

I believe it is more to do with the EUFI / bootloader which is used, because they have been developed by 3rd parties and who knows how secure / legal the code is, but each to their own.

As stated Mods are being more lenient so I will just point out it has no Official Support each and every time, then it is up to the end user to sort out lack of drivers and GPIO support etcetera etcetera.....
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

hansotten

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Girik8040 wrote:
hi all

thanks
Giri Krishna
Read the guides on the WOR site. There are Ubuntu guides, so you may get somewhere with that.

The install will take some time, the result is impressive.

Of course the Linux zealots here will tell you how rubbish Windows is in general, with a more open mind you will enjoy this test build!

Missing drivers indeed is a problem, no graphics acceleration, no WIfi on RPi 4.

Whether Microsoft will support the RPi 4 officially? This WOR build is experimental and not illegal afaik, but not a Microsoft supported build.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with 8 bit CPU's

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Yes, you can count me as a "Linux zealot", but be aware that my position on MS Windows is:

1) Earlier versions - XP (best) and 7 (acceptable) were actually OK in their application space. I prefer Linux, of course, but if you are the sort of person who needs hand-holding (that's most people), then Windows does do the job. I can't argue with that.

2) Version after 7 are, indeed, rubbish, but I get that it's all that's available now, so people do what they do with what they can do.

jahboater

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:44 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
2) Version after 7 are, indeed, rubbish, but I get that it's all that's available now, so people do what they do with what they can do.
Not so :)
Windows 10 and presumably 11, have WSL and now WSL2.
Many consider it the best new feature in Windows.

dbrion06

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 pm

What is Windows?
are they going to marry with UBUlinux?

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Heh heh. Yeah, I know we're just kiddin' around here, but here's the thing:

If (rhetorical) you are expending considerable resources in the development of your OS to emulate the other guy's OS, then you're conceding that you've lost the battle.

Now, what's funny is that for many years, various other OSes tried to emulate MS Windows. That is, they tried to sell the idea that you could run Windows apps on their OS - and it would work (almost) as well as it did on Windows. The problem, of course, is that no one really wants to do this, when they can just use Windows itself - i.e., why bother with emulation when you can run the real thing? I've personally spent a fair amount of human capital over the years trying to convince (various) people to run Windows apps, first under OS/2, then, later, under Linux. Their attitude is always "If I want Windows (and I do!), I know where to find it".

Now, the shoe is on the other foot. Windows is trying to emulate Linux (and use that as a selling point). Well, I think we know now which side is conceding the battle...

Heater

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:38 pm

hansotten wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm
Of course the Linux zealots here will tell you how rubbish Windows is in general, with a more open mind you will enjoy this test build!
I don't think it is appropriate to brand proponents of Linux as "zealots". That is to insinuate they are Linux proponents out of some irrational religious or political ideology. I'm sure that is far from true, at least for most.

Also to imply that they are "closed minded" gross generalisation and unnecessarily insulting.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm

I guess I need to add:
to my sig...

Heater

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:32 pm
jahboater wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:44 pm
GlowInTheDark wrote:
That's like praising someone for having managed to put lipstick on a pig.
I might go so far as to say it is one of the best features of Windows ever. Finally with Win 10 I could get my work done easily on an out of the box (almost) Windows machine without having to mess around installing Cygwin or whatever. Brilliant! Without the WSL the Surface Pro my last employer bought for me would have gone into the land fill ages ago.

The WSL may be as attractive as lipstick on a pig but it has proved very useful and reliable.

Heater

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:52 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm
I guess I need to add:
to my sig...
Please don't. By all means offer objective reasons for supporting/preferring Linux. Don't give into the twisted language of the detractors.

jahboater

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm
The WSL may be as attractive as lipstick on a pig but it has proved very useful and reliable.
Would simply installing Linux in a VM have done what you wanted ?

kerry_s

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:46 am

Girik8040 wrote:
hi all

thanks
Giri Krishna
you need a windows machine to create. currently no way around.

Heater

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 am

jahboater wrote:
I have done that many times. There is nothing "simply" about it. It's not hard to do, just inconvenient enough one does not want to have to do it all the time.

Where as the WSL is just there. Seamlessly (almost) integrated into the OS and ready to use, like having terminal running a different shell on Linux.

Admittedly the WSL falls down when one needs an actual Linux kernel underneath, for example core dumps and profiling don't work. I understand that is fixed with WSL2 that runs on an actual Linux kernel, I have not tried that yet.

geev03

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 am
jahboater wrote:
I have done that many times. There is nothing "simply" about it. It's not hard to do, just inconvenient enough one does not want to have to do it all the time.

Where as the WSL is just there. Seamlessly (almost) integrated into the OS and ready to use, like having terminal running a different shell on Linux.

Admittedly the WSL falls down when one needs an actual Linux kernel underneath, for example core dumps and profiling don't work. I understand that is fixed with WSL2 that runs on an actual Linux kernel, I have not tried that yet.
On a Windows 11 Pro x86_64 , one can now get WSL-2 +WSLg and run GUI apps. The real Linux kernel used is from their ' CBL-Mariner Linux 1.0' that I was playing with here, https://youtu.be/yRSE-Wbq6dI

Code: Select all

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wsl --update
Checking for updates...
Downloading updates...
Installing updates...
This change will take effect on the next full restart of WSL. To force a restart, please run 'wsl --shutdown'.
Kernel version: 5.10.43
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Return to “Other”