rpdom

Re: Raspberry Pi OS or another Distribution for a systemd free server?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:57 am

Generally I don't need automounting. When I insert a USB storage device it is usually because I want to format it, partition it or just install an image on it.

On some of my Raspberries I do have devices that need to be mounted, but that is all at boot time, so I do that in other ways.

Occasionally I want to mount a device short term, but don't like all the "random" mountpoint stuff that happens. I prefer to use /dev/sdXn and a matching /mnt/sdXn (in most cases) for my devices. Much of that is done by scripts anyway, so they mount things where I want them to.
Unreadable squiggle

lurk101

Re: Raspberry Pi OS or another Distribution for a systemd free server?

Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:16 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:22 am
jamesh wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:50 am

Under what circumstances would you NOT need automounting?
Wrong question. When do you NEED automounting, it's not useful since I know I need to type sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt after I've inserted a USB device.
There's you problem right there. A new user, perhaps just introduced to Unix, will look at sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt and wonder what all that gibberish could be about? What could be easier than plugging in the thumb drive, clicking on the icon that pops up to access the document he needed with just another click?
How to make your arguments stronger? Longer is not the answer.

Return to “Other”