AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

[Kali] cant SSH into via usb cable

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 am

Alright so here's what I've been trying to figure out for the last five months. I got a rpi0w and set it up with kali Linux(rpi0w version) and did all the stuff to set it up to connect through the USB cable which is correctly connected to the USB, not pwr. I do this several times, flashing the images, attempting to ssh in, but to no avail. I eventually realize that I forgot to set it up so that it has the RNDIS driver. I fix that and I now have a connection and all seems well until I try to ssh in using raspberrypi.local. Doesn't work, I try to use cmd ipconfig to find the networks IP but the network only has a physical IP(IDK). When I go to network setting it says the network for the USB cable is unplugged WTH. I have been looking up countless posts trying to see what part I went wrong but I can't seem to find anything. Making an account for a website like this so I can try and get answers is usually my last straw. So basically the pi is connected and working fine but the network cable is "unplugged". I honestly don't know why this is happening especially since I see no other posts with a remotely similar problem. Please, I need some help, if you have any clue how I could go about fixing this then plz reply and if you have questions reply... Also after realizing I couldn't ssh into the pi I got a HDMI adapter and a mini USB to USB adapter. Found that the raspberry's side was fine. SSH is working and no errors on bootup. So ya, HELP :(

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 am

Can you replicate the same problem if you set up the RPiZero using the Raspberry Pi Raspbian Buster Operating System as a basis?

Maybe the third-party OS you have chosen to use does not implement the Bonjour/Avahi stuff that is needed to enable the hostname.local network address?

jj_0
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 am

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am

Can you ping the raspberrypi.local address?
Did you enable an ssh server on the Pi?

AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 pm

jj_0 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am
Can you ping the raspberrypi.local address?
Did you enable an ssh server on the Pi?
I've pinged the raspberrypi.local and it comes back with request timed out

AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:53 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 am
Can you replicate the same problem if you set up the RPiZero using the Raspberry Pi Raspbian Buster Operating System as a basis?

Maybe the third-party OS you have chosen to use does not implement the Bonjour/Avahi stuff that is needed to enable the hostname.local network address?
I've never tried to replicated the problem. How could I go about doing that

I also found that apparently you need to put a file named avashi in /boot to enable bonjour support. I did this but it'd didn't seem to change anything.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12109
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am

moved to other OS, and marked [Kali].

There you can find this similar thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=250887 which suggests Kali doesn't support SSH.

AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

Re: RPi0w cant SSH into via usb cable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 am
moved to other OS, and marked [Kali].

There you can find this similar thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=250887 which suggests Kali doesn't support SSH.
I have a was able to log into the pi with a keyboard and monitor. Using "sudo systemctl status ssh" found that it was already running without me even having to start it. Also if you suggest I just use the keyboard and monitor, no I got the rpi0w speciaficially for OTG

jj_0
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 am

Re: [Kali] cant SSH into via usb cable

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Doest the usb gadget interface on your PC have an ip address?

AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

Re: [Kali] cant SSH into via usb cable

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:18 am

Ok, so I think I'm getting closer to figuring out why I can't ssh into my rpi0w. Originally I couldn't get any IP from the USB ethernet gadget. Also, the network connection for the USB ethernet used to say the cable was unplugged. I got on the rpi0w and messed around a little. I finally came to the realization that I need to turn on usb0 via this command

Code: Select all

ip link set usb0 up
After I set usb0 up. I connected the raspberry to my laptop so I could ssh in. I found that the network connection now had it as unidentified connection(YESSSS). Not only that but when I used ipconfig in cmd it finally came to me an IP(ipv4). I pinged the IP and sure enough, it came back with some replies. Anyway, I decided to ssh in with putty and long and behold it doesn't work. I get this stupid error "Connection error: Connection error: Connection refused" So right now I'm stuck at this point trying to figure out what could be refusing the connection. If you have any idea's PLZ PLZ PLZ reply

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20430
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: [Kali] cant SSH into via usb cable

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:48 am

AmbroseCW wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:18 am
Ok, so I think I'm getting closer to figuring out why I can't ssh into my rpi0w. Originally I couldn't get any IP from the USB ethernet gadget. Also, the network connection for the USB ethernet used to say the cable was unplugged. I got on the rpi0w and messed around a little. I finally came to the realization that I need to turn on usb0 via this command

Code: Select all

ip link set usb0 up
After I set usb0 up. I connected the raspberry to my laptop so I could ssh in. I found that the network connection now had it as unidentified connection(YESSSS). Not only that but when I used ipconfig in cmd it finally came to me an IP(ipv4). I pinged the IP and sure enough, it came back with some replies. Anyway, I decided to ssh in with putty and long and behold it doesn't work. I get this stupid error "Connection error: Connection error: Connection refused" So right now I'm stuck at this point trying to figure out what could be refusing the connection. If you have any idea's PLZ PLZ PLZ reply

The Kali Developers support their Operating System:

https://www.kali.org/community/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

AmbroseCW
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am

Re: [Kali] cant SSH into via usb cable

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:48 am
AmbroseCW wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:18 am
Ok, so I think I'm getting closer to figuring out why I can't ssh into my rpi0w. Originally I couldn't get any IP from the USB ethernet gadget. Also, the network connection for the USB ethernet used to say the cable was unplugged. I got on the rpi0w and messed around a little. I finally came to the realization that I need to turn on usb0 via this command

Code: Select all

ip link set usb0 up
After I set usb0 up. I connected the raspberry to my laptop so I could ssh in. I found that the network connection now had it as unidentified connection(YESSSS). Not only that but when I used ipconfig in cmd it finally came to me an IP(ipv4). I pinged the IP and sure enough, it came back with some replies. Anyway, I decided to ssh in with putty and long and behold it doesn't work. I get this stupid error "Connection error: Connection error: Connection refused" So right now I'm stuck at this point trying to figure out what could be refusing the connection. If you have any idea's PLZ PLZ PLZ reply

The Kali Developers support their Operating System:

https://www.kali.org/community/
My apologies I'll make sure to end the post after I've made one at kali.org. Thank you for the help

Return to “Other”